How NOT to install frame sliders

OCPILOT

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought some of the trex sliders but have not yet installed them. I noticed u said u put the shorter one on the left side but im reading the instructions and im pretty sure the longer one goes on the left side of the bike.

borisp

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought some of the trex sliders but have not yet installed them. I noticed u said u put the shorter one on the left side but im reading the instructions and im pretty sure the longer one goes on the left side of the bike.

I followed instructions and installed them without any problem.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto! I hate when that happens. An old friend once placed his hand on my arm just when I was getting ready to put that "final hurt" on a bolt and he said, "Tight is tight!"
I've been forever trying to wrap my mind around that concept....

mookieaz

Reaction score
Visit site

The longer one does go on the left side. I installed mine when I got my bike about four months ago and had no issues. Torqued them to spec (40 lbs) and came out of it just fine.
Mike

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
i had this same thing happen to me when i changed the clutch plates in my CBR900RR. was just lightly tighening the bolt that hold the pressure plate in when it just snapped off. talk about a panic feeling! i could just see my riding going away. i was lucky enough to get an ease out and the bolt came right out. when i did the next one, SAME THING! now i know these are supposed to sheer if the clutch gets stuck but i was mad at it by this point. so i went to the hardware store with the bolts not broken and bought a set of matching CASE HARDENED bolts. i can promise that they will NEVER sheer and if the clutch sticks then im just going to ride it out lol.

i know stupid but hey thats why i have gear and no fear of downshifting and blowing the engine if i have to lol.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my T-rex sliders today and it came with two 90mm bolts. I also noticed that these bolts have about 5mm shorter thread than the oem bolts. I will contact T-rex and have them sent out the correct size bolts. I don't want to take chances on this.

TC

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I've received this reply from T-Rex:

Hello
The posts in this forum are back in 08. They have since been updated. The bolts received will take care of your bike, we recommend you install them and tighten them BY HAND the first few turns first. The 100mm bolts will bottom out before you finish screwing them in. If you do the installation by hand you will not run into this problem, we have sold many kits since. If you would like call me at 972 243 7868 and you can do the install with me over the phone to see the turn out.

Thanks,
Oscar..

I'm still not sure if I want to install it with the 90mm bolts. Any opinions on this?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I got another email from Oscar:

The inside measurement of the puck has been changed. What i will do What I will is send you the 2 longer bolts so you can try them out. To see if you like them better. You will still need to start the bolts on your bike by hand and do not over torque them as you will strip your threads if you do. Start screwing them in by hand then take it from there.

I will ship the longer bolts to you today. Try the original ones first, you will not strip the threads if you do it by hand. If it becomes difficult to screw in then stop and call us.

Thanks,
Oscar..

Now this is good customer service. I've heard many good story about this company & Oscar. I have little or no doubt now that the product will work as advertised. It makes sense if they changed the inside measurement that the bolt they sent originally will work. A+.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Brought some sliders off Ebay and seem very cheap.... well they were- no inserts through the bobbin and my engineer pal says the bolts are not high tensile so thatnkis for all the above will do some investigation before fitting them and then maybe get an expert to do it for me- all my spanners are left handed!

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I've received this reply from T-Rex:

Hello
The posts in this forum are back in 08. They have since been updated. The bolts received will take care of your bike, we recommend you install them and tighten them BY HAND the first few turns first. The 100mm bolts will bottom out before you finish screwing them in. If you do the installation by hand you will not run into this problem, we have sold many kits since.

I love this site and the help we get!!!:thumbup:
We hear about a problem and can look out for it!

1. we have to keep in mind how many sliders have pin sold and put on
with out trouble.

2. Have you ever drilled or cut something and the first cut would be easy and the next two cuts could be very hard to do. Thats because metal can have hard and soft spots . 400 bikes could be strong or hard where we are tightening a bolt but just one {ours} could be soft.

3.AS this email notes the problem was 3 years ago and it sounds like
T-Rex is doing what right:cheer:

The minute I thought about putting on sliders it scared me cause your messing with motor mounts [this is aluminum which is a very soft metal to start with] and to add to this soft and hard spots we have to be very careful

ONE last thing and I'll shout up [yes I will!!]
Mr.? T_REX said to screw it in by hand first[WHY]
this makes sure the threads are working right and not what they call cross threaded which can mess the threads up.
If you can thread it in by hand a short ways you can be sure you are getting a clean start.

I hope I haven't said to much just trying to be help full

whiteboy's fz6

Reaction score
Visit site

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the shogun carbon sliders and put them on this morning....no problems. They came with the longer bolts and I put the longer one on the left.
Joe:thumbup:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Old thread I know, but last night I basically did the same thing as Tailgate did 4 years ago. Oes sliders. Right side slider bolt went in perfectly. Left side was tight, tight, tight, loose.... I'm pretty sure I stripped the threads in the engine mount. Sucks. Though Driver145's solution looks like a possibility. Not sure what else I'd do at this point...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Old thread I know, but last night I basically did the same thing as Tailgate did 4 years ago. Oes sliders. Right side slider bolt went in perfectly. Left side was tight, tight, tight, loose.... I'm pretty sure I stripped the threads in the engine mount. Sucks. Though Driver145's solution looks like a possibility. Not sure what else I'd do at this point...

I would be hesitant of that if the core of the slider is anything that can compress. If its an aluminum core - go for it...
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/3793-how-not-install-frame-sliders.html#post40266

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto! An ex old friend of mine once said, "Tight is tight". Those are three words to live by.

I totally agree. I was hesitant, but I was waiting for the torque wrench to click. The right side went in perfectly. Not really sure why the left side didn't work, except maybe the threads weren't lined up correct.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I emailed OES, and they send me a couple longer bolts, and it worked! the replacement bolt was 2cm longer and it tighted up just fine. Glad to have that all worked out...