How NOT to install frame sliders

SHinNH

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on it. I just rechecked the website and I see that these frame sliders are marketed for 2004-2008 models. I'm curious as to how company will respond (if at all?) Here's the ebay link:
eBay Motors: T-Rex 04-08 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer Frame Sliders NO CUT (item 140219996470 end time Apr-05-08 12:53:03 PDT)

Crap!!!! I just bought these exact same ones... Hope I dont run into that same problem... I'm gonna double and triple check everything now before I even try to install them...
Thanks for the heads up

Scott

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Crap!!!! I just bought these exact same ones... Hope I dont run into that same problem... I'm gonna double and triple check everything now before I even try to install them...
Thanks for the heads up

Scott
After you receive your sliders, could you post here if the T-Rex bolt thread ends that are exposed, when the bolts are fully inserted into the sliders, measure the same distance as do the stock Yamaha ones? Or, just measure your slider bolt length? (My T-Rex slider bolt measures 3.5 inches long) Incidentally, the threads on my T-Rex slider bolts are M10 x 1.25 (metric threads come in fine, standard, & coarse: 1.00, 1.25, and 1.50 respectively). [

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good to know, i was going to buy some but i think i will go with the ones the local yamaha store has.....that way if something like this happens i have someone i can complain to in person.:D

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
my FS6 sliders were two different lengths as well. but they did require two different length bolts (m10x100 & m10x110) and I recall the long side being on the left side (as you sit on it) can this be the problem??????

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I just stumbled on this thread and realized I have the exact frame sliders you had. I was curious so I pulled them to check bolt length. They both were very close to the stock size.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I just stumbled on this thread and realized I have the exact frame sliders you had. I was curious so I pulled them to check bolt length. They both were very close to the stock size.
Looks like you're okay then. Both my slider bolts were, unfortunately, 10mm too short They measured 90mm length when they should have been 100mm. I contacted T-Rex. The company is taking care of me. Maybe it was just my package? At any rate, glad to hear that you received 100mm length bolts.
Update: T-Rex responded very quickly to my correspondence and subsequently followed up providing me with EXCELLENT customer service. The company's customer service is outstanding.

Last edited:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same sliders, I would have had the same issue as you but I took it a little slower screwing them in. I ended up putting a washer under both sides, this did two things one it would'nt allow the bolt to bottom out and two it kept the sliders from rubbing on the frame. One thing I have learned over the years is to take things slow when doing this kind of work.

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you had troubles with the sliders.

I put the same ones on last summer. The only problem I had was that the right side bolt went in rather tight. I called the company in Texas, and the guy I talked to told me to go ahead slowly tighten it down. He stayed on the phone with me till I had them both on.

As with most companies, some people have good experiences with them and some bad. I had a good experience with T-Rex, and hopefully they'll work with you to rectify your situation.

cmarsdavis

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just searching the forums on sliders and came across this thread. Has anyone purchased T Rex sliders in the last month or so and installed them? Problems? No problems? I am supposed to get mine sometime this week and hope everything will go ok.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just searching the forums on sliders and came across this thread. Has anyone purchased T Rex sliders in the last month or so and installed them? Problems? No problems? I am supposed to get mine sometime this week and hope everything will go ok.

I ordered some a few weeks ago. received them on Dec/31st, installed them on Jan 1st with 0 problems. very very easy install and seem to be worth the money.

robbijer

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I installed mine on an 08 with no problems.

One thing I did notice is that at the surfaces where the sliders come into contact with the frame the sliders do not sit flat against the frame, because the frame is not a flat surface. I am not sure if this will be a problem or not. My thought is if the sliders are deployed there will be room for movement of the slider thus bending of the bolt, which may be bad or good. I hope I never have to find out.

MWSager

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my bike about 4 months ago and lovin it - first bike I ever owned and FL is perfect year round, already have put on 1.5k going to work and back (not bad for a newbie). I have big dodge ram quad cab hemi and when gas was at its peak, convinced wifey to let me get it.

everything I read is that framesliders is way to go as a preventative step to protect.... reading the stuff that has happened how much they help - I going out this week and getting a pair.

after reading this post, should I just let dealer put them on (think they said for $40 per side when I bought bike) and not worry about headache like this???

can you guys suggest any simple things like these that can help this newbie.

Thanks

BTW - great forum, looks like a lot of great people here.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally MWSager, I would let the dealer put them on if your not confident, I had a slight issue with my bolts on my R&G bobbins and decided to book into the dealer to do it, going to be heading down soon, they wanted £20 to fit them and if it goes wrong, they're to blame

Adamfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
$40/side sounds a bit steep though, only takes 10 minutes per side to install them. Try another mechanic, you may get a better price.