How much transmission slack is normal?

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I am experiencing the same issue as Daniel_Aus, I think. My issue gets worse when the bike heats up and the slower I accelerate from a stop the less the issue is noticed. If I get on the throttle from a stop I get a very noticeable clunk, almost like gears are "finding their grooves against each other". On warmer days after sitting in traffic (radiator fan had to come on) I get a clunk that I feel like other people could see. Does this description make since?

I bought the bike in April. It had several mods on it. I hope it is something like bad chain or chain tension, and not transmission related. With the colder weather now it is barely noticeable...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this topic, but I have a similar condition. While the engine is in any of the gears, but clutched in such that engine RPMs are at idling range, if I blip the throttle, I can feel the chain being tensioned. Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Sounds like you may have too much play in the clutch cable and its NOT releasing fully (most likely). Try tightening up the adjuster at the handlebar, spinning the adjuster outward will tighten up the cable....

If there isn't enough adjustment left, there is a mid cable adjuster that can be adjusted to tighten up the cable. Kind of a PIA to do, but very doable. Do a search, there's a bunch of threads with pictures on it...

You could also have some warped clutch discs, grabbing as their NOT flat anymore (possible if you beat on the bike, burnouts, etc, not referring to normal wear and tear), not as likely. Too thick an oil (especially when cold or in the cold) will also help to keep the clutch from releasing

In the future, you may wan't to just start a new thread. Its a little easier for folks to follow generally..

Last edited:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
gottherim4 said:
I am experiencing the same issue as Daniel_Aus, I think. My issue gets worse when the bike heats up and the slower I accelerate from a stop the less the issue is noticed. If I get on the throttle from a stop I get a very noticeable clunk, almost like gears are "finding their grooves against each other". On warmer days after sitting in traffic (radiator fan had to come on) I get a clunk that I feel like other people could see. Does this description make since?

Just saw some more posts on this thread.. glad for others to chime in with similar experiences.

I tested whether I get this effect in other gears than first, and yes I do, but not as strongly.

I took the bike to the dealer to make sure the front sprocket was tightened to spec, which it was, and they said the chain was fine. They said whatever it was was most likely internal (transmission) but didn't seem concerned about it. The service manager seemed to think it was probably just the "backlash" of the transmission.

The difference I have to gottherim4 is that I experience this effect whether getting on the throttle quickly or slowly - doesn't matter - as it seems to be from a build up of slack that occurs when the engine slows down in a certain way.

I've noticed it doing it a bit less lately, which may be my brain automatically adjusting my throttle and clutch control to compensate and prevent the effect from happening? I don't know.. I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this topic, but I have a similar condition. While the engine is in any of the gears, but clutched in such that engine RPMs are at idling range, if I blip the throttle, I can feel the chain being tensioned. Is this normal?

No and don't operate the bike this way because you can burn the clutch. You need to adjust the cable so that there is absolutely no engagement when you have the clutch lever pulled in. There could be a problem with the cable so careful inspection by someone familiar with bikes would be wise. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just saw some more posts on this thread.. glad for others to chime in with similar experiences.

I tested whether I get this effect in other gears than first, and yes I do, but not as strongly.

I took the bike to the dealer to make sure the front sprocket was tightened to spec, which it was, and they said the chain was fine. They said whatever it was was most likely internal (transmission) but didn't seem concerned about it. The service manager seemed to think it was probably just the "backlash" of the transmission.

The difference I have to gottherim4 is that I experience this effect whether getting on the throttle quickly or slowly - doesn't matter - as it seems to be from a build up of slack that occurs when the engine slows down in a certain way.

I've noticed it doing it a bit less lately, which may be my brain automatically adjusting my throttle and clutch control to compensate and prevent the effect from happening? I don't know.. I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse.

Something to think about is, is it doing damage. From this; I'd drain the oil into a very clean pan and run a magnet through it. Let the oil sit fit 10 + min and poor it out of the pan real slow saving the last little but to dump into a white cloth or paper towel. Then open up the oil filter and look at that. If there is nothing to be found it may help you sleep better. http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

EDIT:
Also if the sprocket is moving on the shaft it will be making a bunch of RED LOOKING RUST! It CAN MOVE ON THE SHAFT AND be Torqued to spec. Thus only moving under heavy loads so don't count a tension to say its 100% OK. You have to remove and inspect the splines for wear and proper fitment to the gear. Are there sign of red looking rust under the cover? Have you pulled the rear wheel to inspect the drive cushions? The bike has the tools to remove the rear tire. Its pretty easy.

Last edited:

m0biusace

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the same clunk. I also have my chain intentionally loose (brand new RK chain and sprockets, loose because otherwise it makes a high pitched whine which can be heard above the stock exhaust past 30mph) so I figure its just a symptom of that.

I don't think much of it.

m0biusace

Reaction score
Visit site
After riding and testing this a bit today, I think the 'thwack' (that's the best word for it I think - it's not really a 'clunk') can be recreated by being in first, accelerating and releasing the clutch somewhat so you start moving, then pulling the clutch back in and letting the engine spin down, but before it gets to idle, release the clutch and start accelerating again. This seems to pull up some slack that must build as the engine is spinning down and results in a palpable noise and feeling in the transmission.

I reckon it's fine.

This perfectly describes and reproduces the clunk I have.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Its back...

So with beautiful weather I have been riding to work all week, and the clunk is still there as I am in first and just moving. It is bad enough that I can predict it. Right at the end of the friction zone in the clutch lever I get a "grab." I test it and my speed does not matter, it seems tied to the end of the clutch let-out. The whole bike kind of jerks, I feel that it can be seen and heard by other motorists. The warmer the engine, the worse it gets, when I first get going in the morning there is barely a jerk. It feels like the transmission or clutch is "finding a groove." I am not sure if it does it in other than 1st. I thought it was the chain tension, I did have it too loose before, but I just adjusted/tightened it and the "grab" is the same. Also, I recent had new tires put on. I removed/installed (shop installed tires to the rim) and the rear cushions looked fine.

The issue feels like it is internal, at the transmission or clutch. The little jerk I get from a stop makes me self conscious, so maybe this is all just a rant to fellow fz6 enthusiasts. Any ideas are appreciated to try to figure this out.

:D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to think about is, is it doing damage. From this; I'd drain the oil into a very clean pan and run a magnet through it. Let the oil sit fit 10 + min and poor it out of the pan real slow saving the last little but to dump into a white cloth or paper towel. Then open up the oil filter and look at that. If there is nothing to be found it may help you sleep better. http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

EDIT:
Also if the sprocket is moving on the shaft it will be making a bunch of RED LOOKING RUST! It CAN MOVE ON THE SHAFT AND be Torqued to spec. Thus only moving under heavy loads so don't count a tension to say its 100% OK. You have to remove and inspect the splines for wear and proper fitment to the gear. Are there sign of red looking rust under the cover? Have you pulled the rear wheel to inspect the drive cushions? The bike has the tools to remove the rear tire. Its pretty easy.

^^ Holds true in your application too.
Look for RED looking dust around the nut, gear, shaft. Drain the oil and inspect it as above.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got sth similar, its my thread http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/52332-engine-breaking-rattle-more.html

May I ask you Guys to switch on the first gear with engine off and see how much the front sprocket will rotate when moving the bike forward and back to the limits? Count the teeth or chain links.

Just checked mine- the front sprocket rotates 1 tooth.

Something else to think about is to pull the right side clutch cover, disassemble the clutch and verify the nut holding the clutch basket is tight. It could make a clunk like this.

Has anyone taken the time to inspect the oil filter? As in cut it open.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got something like this last week after a trip on the fizzer. On my way back, I downshifted into first too early (by accident) and for the rest of the ride I could detect a periodic clunk like sensation through the foot pegs. That sensation came and went to a degree, in that at interstate speed it could be hard to detect. At first I thought it was in the tires but it seemed to be occurring less frequently than the tires roll. My two guesses were 1) something in the trans or 2) the chain was kinked. I lubed the chain when I got home, and didn't notice any links obviously sticking.

Now that I think about it, I think this has happened before when I've shifted into first too early. It kind of worries me, since I have no experience pulling a trans and I expect the local shop would want bookoo labor to do it. (Then again, I also might need to lube the chain more frequently, too).

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Something else to think about is to pull the right side clutch cover, disassemble the clutch and verify the nut holding the clutch basket is tight. It could make a clunk like this.

Has anyone taken the time to inspect the oil filter? As in cut it open.

The clutch basket nut sounds to me like the most reasonable idea so far :)
Now, can I do it on the side stand in front of my home? How much oil will drain? Any special tools required to disassemble the clutch and tighten the nut?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch basket nut sounds to me like the most reasonable idea so far :)
Now, can I do it on the side stand in front of my home? How much oil will drain? Any special tools required to disassemble the clutch and tighten the nut?

Nothing special but I wouldn't go there until you remove the sprocket from the drive chain and inspect its fit. Again, just because the nut is tight does NOT mean the sprocket is not moving on the shaft!
I would recommend an air powered impact gun to get the nut off.

Pickup at post 24:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48071-broken-my-gears.html

This nut is suspect:
IMG_0879_zpsaec70d24.jpg

Thanks [MENTION=22030]AdamFZ[/MENTION]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got sth similar, its my thread http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/52332-engine-breaking-rattle-more.html

May I ask you Guys to switch on the first gear with engine off and see how much the front sprocket will rotate when moving the bike forward and back to the limits? Count the teeth or chain links.

Just checked mine- the front sprocket rotates 1 tooth.

Just a knats hair over one tooth rotation on the ft sprocket.. Solid clunk when moving the wheel forward and backwards.