How much Insurance to have?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Based on the increasing number of drops, falls, accidents etc I wanted to see what people had for insurance?

I currently pay $120 for liability only from Pacific Specialties (McGraw) but now I'm beginning to rethink this strategy as I ride my bike harder and gain more experience and start thinking about even going to the track. I don't want to total a bike and have no insurance money!

So the question is:

How much Insurance do you have, by whom, and how much does it cost? Thanks!

S

sportrider

Full coverage, collision/comp/theft/liability. on the FZ6 the first year was $1172. after that it dropped to $680, but when I got the R1 it went up $366. I'm sure it will go back down next year

oh I have Progressive Ride insurance

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, just liability is a bad idea for a bike... I have full coverage + med pay (med pay was advised by my lawyer... very good to have in case of an accident).

On a side note, I used to have Pacific Specialty too (through McGraw), and they sucked for my last accident... really bad support... State Farm (other party's insurance) was much better to deal with.

I just signed up with AAA yesterday... $1600/year for my wife and I, with 2 cars, the bike, and my home :rockon:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I currently am using Esurance for my bike insurance. After I bought the bike, I only really had enough $$$ for liability, which is $75 a year for me. However, I am now thinking that it would be in my best interest to dig deep and go with full coverage. It'll hurt the wallet for a while, but not as much as if I go down and end up having to pay more.

X

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, just liability is a bad idea for a bike... I have full coverage + med pay (med pay was advised by my lawyer... very good to have in case of an accident).

On a side note, I used to have Pacific Specialty too (through McGraw), and they sucked for my last accident... really bad support... State Farm (other party's insurance) was much better to deal with.

I just signed up with AAA yesterday... $1600/year for my wife and I, with 2 cars, the bike, and my home :rockon:

And David should know as he is an accident professional! ;)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I pay $352 a year for the FZ, full coverage, 100/300/50, uninsured, etc, etc.

The truck is about $1,200 a year, full coverage, 100/300/50, etc., etc.

I don't want to have to pay anyone else if Ireally mess up and hurt someone.

Bodarc

Reaction score
Visit site
While is Texas I had Dairy Land Ins, full coverage on both VTX1300 and FZ6 and I paid $423 a year.

Moved to OKC, OK and had to change to Progressive and Premiums fluctuated a bit. I have full coverage still with the state minimun on bodly coverage @ $25000 and property damage @ $25000. My total bill for the year for full coverage/uninsured motorist/Gap/personal injury $450.

Not bad if you ask me.

Bodarc

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I pay $363 a year with full coverage, 100/300/50. I'm thinking of getting a personal liability umberella just to be on the safe side.:thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Although I don't carry collision, I do carry comprehensive (O deduct) My HMO would cover my med expenses. As always, CARRY FRAME SLIDERS! (no premium due)

B

bluenova

I have the highest you can get on a bike in Belgium which is 3rd Party. It's (stupidly) not possible to get fully comprehensive.

pert

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 3rd party only insurance

£900 for the year, about $1800

But if my bike gets stolen or I crash it into a ditch I'm not covered

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm paying something like $135 a month for my bike, my car, and renters insurance. I have full coverage and great amounts in liability and all that stuff... I don't remember exactly right now... State Farm it is!

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
In France you have 4 types of insurance...

1 - Civil Responsibility only (3rd party)
2 - Civil Responsibility, Fire and Theft
3 - Civil Responsibility, Fire, Theft and Own Collision Damage
4 - 'All Risk' - Covers you for everything

I took option '3'. I am getting on a bit (><) being 30 with 10+ years on my bike license. But as I have no bonus or deduction in France atm, I pay 500 Euro a year. It will be down to 300 Euro or so with 1 years bonus.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Esurance.

$453/Yr for IL minimum liability (20k/15k i think) and $250 deductible comprehensive.

Full coverage was quoted at about $1200/yr

I'm 26, single and near chicago.

Hope that helps.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Im 21 and have full coverage on my 06 FZ6, and pay $75 per/month $900 per/year with State Farm

That's it? I thought for sure under age 25 insurance would be much much higher. I'm only two years younger than you and was quoted about $2,500/year with State Farm. Did you sweet talk them or something?

Right now I'm paying $40/month with Progressive. But it's liability only. If I wanted full coverage they were going to charge $220/month, and that was still the best out of all the companies I went to.