How many of you experience ticking from the engine?

Chingado

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey.

I'm curious to know how many of you fz6 owners experience ticking sound from the engine (most likely valve ticking, or fuel injector ticking, or a combination, and I have heard it is normal for this engine )
Please state your model, and the rev area with the most noticeable ticks.

Thanks for sharing!:Sport:

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

There is no such thing as a machine that does not have its own noises and with the FZ6 this is also true. Yes, my 2004 does have its share of ticking and other audible noises bit they are all part of how this machine works. To me, none of them are annoying and all of them belong there. If I wanted something that had no noises I would be out riding my unicycle but even that has some noises; especially when the kids laugh as grandpa crashes....

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get a tick that comes and goes. Seems to do it when I do shorter trips, usually noticeable between idle and 4k rpm. I am not worried about it. My CX500 makes all kinds of weird noises, and never seems to fail...

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05 with 3400 miles. I also have the ticking around the 4k mark. It can be annoying at times since i usually ride in that rpm range.:eek:

R

redzag11

'05 FZ6 and I get the ticking between 3500-5000 RPMs. Which, like many have said, is the range that I ride in a lot.

But, since a lot of people have it and no one seems to be having any problems because of it, I'll agree with the masses and just say that it's midly annoying when I can hear it.

Jason Tikusis

Reaction score
Visit site
the ticking is normal like you think. Some times at a 30 mph cruise through town you may hera the air injection reeds on the top of the head cove vibrate a bit too. dont be worried.

dookbob

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, The Suzuki 1000 I had made a ticking sound at low revs, it was the end float on the camshafts. There was a mod you could do involving a special valve adjusting shim with a very very slight taper on it , this kept the camshaft over to one end taking up the end float and elliminating the ticking noise. The ticking that you guys are discussing sounds similar.
dookbob

rzekry

Reaction score
Visit site
My 05 FZ6 started making the "ticking noise" after it was dropped by a friend.

Does anyone know what are the things I should check to make that sound go away?

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
the Lifter type tick is normal around 4K. I even asked my mechanic about this when I had my first service done.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

My 2005 has a ticking noise at low revs to about 3700 rpm.
I have had the noise registered with Yamaha UK (in case of future engine failure).
Three dealers have looked at the bike:

George white (where I purchased the bike) refused to acknowledge that there was a noise.
An independent mechanic thought it was also injector noise.
Pro-Bike Newbury had it in the workshop for two days an ran some tests. They even changed the cam chain tensioner. They concluded it was injector noise.
I am happy with the knowledge that it is not going to cause a terminal problem and if my bike blows up then I will have some come back.
Nelly

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I'd say it's safe to say the ticking noise you guys are talking about isn't the ticking noise my FZ6 had

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say it's safe to say the ticking noise you guys are talking about isn't the ticking noise my FZ6 had

Lmao.. No mate, yours was terminal.
(edit)..BTW.. Does the R1 suffer these same "ticking" noises???

I, too, get the "ticking noise, from about 3500rpm upto ~5000.
My mate at work just bought himself an '08 R6, and he asked me the same thing. He was worried it was bad, I just said it's normal and not to worry about it. Told him to let the dealer know when he get's the first service done.

:)

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ticking is only an issue when it stops, then sh*t blows up!:Flash: