Reaction score
Visit site
Been riding since march 2011

1983 Honda NightHawk 550 - 12,000 miles
2002 Suzuki SV650s - 10,000 miles
2008 Yamaha FZ6 - 12,000 miles

Total

That's a lot of miles in 2 years... :D
That's a ton of miles in less than two years! I thought I was riding a lot with 17K miles in a year and a half.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting distribution of total mileage. It looks like most FZ6 owners fall into one of two categories:

1. Moderately experienced riders with under 30K miles under their belts.

or

2. Highly experienced riders with over 100K miles under their belts.

It would be intriguing to see this same poll posted on the gixxer forum for example. I bet the mean would be WAY lower. Same for all the supersports. And the opposite for the goldwing forum, etc.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting distribution of total mileage. It looks like most FZ6 owners fall into one of two categories:

1. Moderately experienced riders with under 30K miles under their belts.

or

2. Highly experienced riders with over 100K miles under their belts.

It would be intriguing to see this same poll posted on the gixxer forum for example. I bet the mean would be WAY lower. Same for all the supersports. And the opposite for the goldwing forum, etc.

I agree...

I've owned many different style /makes of bikes (short of a lay down go fast), the FZ is my absolute favorite for the riding I do now... Sounds great with open Scorps (without doing 100 MPH), maintainace is almost nill, tires last 3X longer than the bigger (heavier, higher HP bikes) bikes, engine is about bullet proof and very flickable.

From owning 3 bikes at once (Goldwing, FJR and KLR 250), I sold them all and this is the ONLY BIKE I OWN. I plan on running it to at least 100,000 miles. I generally don't listen to my helmet stereo anymore as the sound of the exhaust is, so soothing.. I actually bought the FZ to replace the KLR250 as every 32,000 miles, the left crank bearing would fail. My 1989 250 failed at 32,000 and again at 64,000 miles (full re-build). My 2005 KLR 250, at 28,000 miles (while replacing the cam chain, I found the LS crank bearing starting to fail-see below pic's). Rebuilding the engine every 32,000 miles was getting to be a PIA (the 70 MPG was good thou..) The FZ shouldn't need the cases split, :)

Looking just about stone stock, the FZ is my "sleeper" :thumbup:

My old 04 Wing and 04 FJR on the MC trailer I designed/built many moons ago, and my last KLR under surgery(cam chain-much more involved than the FZ BTW)....

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Put me in the over 60k mile crowd, been riding since August '06. 3-4k miles on my first bike, an '86 Yamaha Radian, and a notch under 60k miles on my '06 FZ6.

Would have ridden the Radian more, but the damn thing kept on breaking down. The tank was so rotted that I had to ride around with a couple spare fuel filters. The fuel filter would get clogged with rust flakes about every 100 miles, forcing me to pull over and swap it out. Thankfully it only took me a couple minutes to do. Then when I ran acid through the tank to clean out the rust, I discovered a pinhole leak, about 10km from home on the first ride, that would drip gas straight onto the hot valve cover. Wasn't a very fun ride home after that. Fixed the leak with some JB Weld, and sold the bike for a couple pennies shortly afterwards.

In comparison, the FZ6 has been absolutely bulletproof.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but I'd say somewhere between 60-75k

Blew up a vstar 650, wrecked the hell outta a vstrom, fell in love/hate relationship with a fz6, flipped a ktm for a klr and then flipped the klr numerous times lol

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the FZ6 (my first bike) for my birthday (36) in March 2010 (new 2009 model).

I currently have over 27,### miles on it and I couldn't be happier.

I have increased the commute to work (less than 40 miles round trip) where sometimes I go up to a couple of weeks on a row without using the car at all.

This year I got really close to getting an used KLX250 to:1) reduce the gas consumption (commute), 2) take advantage of dirt/sand trails around so I can include off road experience and 3) share the amount of miles with a 70-80 MPG dual sport.

I'm still missing too many things with my bike like: traveling outside of Florida (I'd really like to go to the Tail of the Dragon at least once). I'm really considering riding to the MotoGP in Austin (2013) I'll need A LOT of training before I could do this!!!. Going to Key west (southmost point of the state and country, doing track days and overall I'd like to ride this bike for over 100,000 miles.

Ride on!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
I just traded my 07 fz6,it had 103,000km on it(all mine)Ive been commuting solid for about 12yrs(22,000km a year):thumbup:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering how much experience everyone here has when it comes to riding on two wheels. I'm only counting miles out on public roads.

Right now I'm at 17K miles since I started riding in May of 2011. I feel like I've learned an incredible amount in that time. Interested in hearing and seeing everyone's experiences.
The journey of a million miles begins with the 1st mile; keep up the good work. :rockon:
Think I have over 400K under my belt? I've had a street endorsement since '75, 'n have been roll'in up 8 to 28,000 mi. a year since '83. (Mostly on Yamahas. :cheer: ) Dun rode 'bout 7K on the FZ6 since getting it in February, and 'bout 14K on the FJR since then.

(From today's ride :D )

IMG_1595___2.jpg

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my bike for a few months now and I've put 2-3k on it. I rode it rain or shine and I'd still be riding it if I weren't sidelined right now with my burns

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It amazes me how many older riders flock to the FZ6!

I'm 33, been riding for only about 7 years and have amassed about 26K miles between 3 bikes, 18K of which was on the FZ6!

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sept of 2010 bought my first bike, the Ninja 250 and then sold it shortly after buying the FZ6 on May 25th 2012.

On the Ninjette I put about 20k miles give or take. The FZ6 Im closing in on 15k miles so around 35k miles total in just over two years :)

In case anyone is not sure, I LOVE my bike :p

Edit: Awwww Just looked back through and apparently I dont hold the record for most in the last 2 years :( Shucks... guess Ill have to go for a nice long one this week at some point to make up for it.

Last edited:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
It amazes me how many older riders flock to the FZ6!

I'm 33, been riding for only about 7 years and have amassed about 26K miles between 3 bikes, 18K of which was on the FZ6!
Sum of us old bastids see the great value 'n versatility in the FZ6. :rockon:
We don't need ta pose with sum silly, (worthless on the street) pure sports bike. Or pose at *$s with an ADV bike, when the sweet FZ duz it all, quietly without drama. :D

Reyhouse_rd__2.jpg

Note the Pilot Powers.

IMG_1042___3.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have +/- 100,000 miles, motorcycles have been my main mode of transport for the last 27 years (only had a car license for 8 years).
I ride everyday, and at one time I had a job as a motorcycle courier where I rode a minimum of 1500 miles each week.
For some mad reason most of my friends can't see what I get out of it. My wife has also recently been saying
"Why don't you get a car"?
"You can't carry on riding through winter forever".

While I am able to throw my leg over something with an engine I will continue to ride:thumbup:

Neil