How many miles do you get out of your brake pads?

Brake pad wear.

• How many miles from your pads

Votes: 27 12.9%
  • > 5000 miles 8000 kms

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • < 7000 miles 11200 kms

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • < 10000 miles 16000 kms

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • > 12000 miles 19300 kms (how many more?)

Votes: 130 62.2%

• Total voters

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
25K mi, no real wear. I'm hard on them too, I like practicing hard stops, and ride lots of canyons.
I do want some better pads though. Something with better bite would be good, probably will do lines at the same time. Not touching the rear, no need for more power there.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
43200 kms with lots of pad left on both ends of the FZ6. Just changed my brake lines to Hel SS. So much left on the brake pads, I decided to leave them on.

Last edited:

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
When i sold my fz with 41k miles it still had the original pads. They still look fine. not close to the wear indicators. I should say that i normally only use the brakes to stop from second gear. these bikes like the revs so engine breaking works great

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I'll be changing mine at 20,000 miles - looking into doing them myself as the price for the 24,000 mile service isn't pretty!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
41,000 miles to date. Original pads.

This sucks! I had to remove one of my front calipers since I replaced my front tire/wheel. I checked my pads on both sides, thought, wow, I have a lot of pad left when, I noticed that my right inside pad was really worn down, much, much more than the opposite inside pad. Oh man! What a drag. Now, I have to replace all the front pads and look into WHY the right inside pad wore down so much (sticking caliper or something?). This sucks. I only have 18K miles on the front! Something malfunctioned so that the right inside pad is nearly all the way worn down while all the other front pads have LOTS of meat. Oh well, at least I CHECKED!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
my cbr needed new brake pads (front AND rear) after 4300km in the previous owner's hands....WTF? But my FZ had 25.000 when I sold it and the pads had plenty of life left in them.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
25K miles and they re doing good. Lots left. I did do quite a bit of engine braking until I got the BMW. (Stupid dry clutch) Now, not so much, as I don't want to change riding styles to much on the two bikes

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure I am on my original pads, more than 20K........I never use my brakes, except to blink that I am slowing when I have cars behind me. V-twins engine brake exceptionally well.

Rob? Have you changed my brakes?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
my cbr needed new brake pads (front AND rear) after 4300km in the previous owner's hands....WTF? But my FZ had 25.000 when I sold it and the pads had plenty of life left in them.

Sounds like someone rode around "covering" the brakes a little too much.....

uclajoebruin

Reaction score
Visit site
Added my two cents. Currently at 14k miles and my pads are about half worn. My old bike went through them more quickly since it was about 100 lbs heavier.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced at 46,653 miles for the rear. Front pads are still stock.

REAR_PADS.jpg

S

Shamus McFeeley

36,000 miles and my pads are still in great shape, both front and rear. I don't make a lot of stops on my way to work though, that might have something to do with it.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a little over 26 K miles on mine. The rear is fine, the fronts need changed. The inner pads are worn down to almost the limit. I have some new EBC pads on hand and will swap them out this week.