how many miles did your tires last?

how long do your tires last?

• Total voters

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a question, i think it was a thread but not sure. Being that i am home due to my surg's, i just saw someting on the bike and wonder if any one could help, and explain. I have alot of rubber on the rear side's of the tire, but the center is like squared. Any help.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
... I have alot of rubber on the rear side's of the tire, but the center is like squared. Any help.

This wear pattern is normal, mine is the same.

To quote from the following article on motorcycle tire wear: "center wears out first and this wear is often exaggerated because acceleration, engine braking and real braking scuff stuff off the upright rear tire"

Motorcycle Tire Wear

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...am I just hard on tires or what? I see posts with people getting 8000+ miles on a set of tires, how are you doing it I've got 8200 miles on my FZ6 and I'm on my 4th set of tires. ...

Wow - fourth set! Do you have stock in the tire company? You do have stock in the tire company right? :)

I guess to me a possible culprit is a misaligned tire.

H

HavBlue

i have a question, i think it was a thread but not sure. Being that i am home due to my surg's, i just saw something on the bike and wonder if any one could help, and explain. I have a lot of rubber on the rear side's of the tire, but the center is like squared. Any help.

Flat spotting is pretty much normal especially if you spend a good deal of time on straight roads like the super slab. I do my best to avoid them which helps to keep the tires rounded but they still do flat spot the centers over time.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 12,500 on my stock Dunlops. Like some other member mentioned, plenty of tread left, but the center is squaring off, but not too bad. Since I'm not planning on any major trips or very hard riding, I will keep 'em for my commutes.

Lewy

Reaction score
Visit site
I go through rear tyres but that might be due to my weight and always pulling wheelies LOL my last Tyre which was a bridgestone/BT only lasted 4000miles my new rear Tyre is doing a lot better its a Michelin pilot power 2CT which i have found excellent Handel's and sticks to the road very well

Lewy

H

HavBlue

I go through rear tyres but that might be due to my weight and always pulling wheelies LOL my last Tyre which was a bridgestone/BT only lasted 4000miles my new rear Tyre is doing a lot better its a Michelin pilot power 2CT which i have found excellent Handel's and sticks to the road very well

Lewy

Are you running miss matched tires?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
My Metzler M3's have plenty left in them and I think about 4000 miles on them at this point.

A track tire wont last that long, so that might be part of the problem. Also, like it was mentioned earlier...having matching tires is a big part of it.

-bryan

S

sportrider

I wouldn't of thought it would make a difference having miss match tyres??

Thanks Lewy
different brands of tires have different profiles dispite being the same size tire. this can have adverse effects on handling. I'd recommend always running matched sets of tires. I always replace them both when I do a tire change even if the front tire still "looks" good, it still has the same miles that the rear does. it may cost more but sometimes you can't put a price on peace of mind (or in my case you can $119.99 for the front Michelin PP)
:D

Lewy

Reaction score
Visit site
different brands of tires have different profiles dispite being the same size tire. this can have adverse effects on handling. I'd recommend always running matched sets of tires. I always replace them both when I do a tire change even if the front tire still "looks" good, it still has the same miles that the rear does. it may cost more but sometimes you can't put a price on peace of mind (or in my case you can $119.99 for the front Michelin PP)
:D

OK cool cheers for that info it makes sense i might look in to getting a new front tyre as my back one has only done a few KM

Thanks Lewy