Votes: 51 21.3%
  • 1 Finger (Clutch)

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
3 on clutch (although I'm now starting to clutchless shift at speed) and 2 on the brake (if I try 4 finger braking the stopping is rather abrupt)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use only two on the brake. My son and I took a 4 hour braking class at our local MSF training facility. I soon realized that I needed to use 4 in order to maximize my braking abilities.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use only two on the brake. My son and I took a 4 hour braking class at our local MSF training facility. I soon realized that I needed to use 4 in order to maximize my braking abilities.

When I took the MSF Advanced course I was scolded for using only 2 fingers on the brakes instead of 4. With the R1 front end and brakes on my FZ 4 fingers is 2 too many.

If you're comfortable with two stick with it.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
When I took the MSF Advanced course I was scolded for using only 2 fingers on the brakes instead of 4. With the R1 front end and brakes on my FZ 4 fingers is 2 too many.

If you're comfortable with two stick with it.

The instructor for this advanced braking class wasn't really pushing the use of four fingers. I was finding that I was performing better in the hard braking drills when I used all four fingers. It was easier to perform the s-q-u-e-e-z-e slowly and then tactfully with all fingers. I was still riding a V-Strom at the time and trying to get that thing to do a stoppie wasn't working with just the two fingers. Kind of like a firm handshake. I know I couldn't do as well with a two finger hand shake.

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
These options should be included in the poll to give it better depth.
I use 3 fingers on the clutch lever (because I am not BIONIC) or none when up shifting when riding hard.
Two fingers on the brake unless I'm having a bum puckering moment and then It's none ( because braking isn't always the only option) or a full on handful.

Nelly

im curious about the whole not using the clutch when upshifting business. on a dirtbike i downshift without the clutch quite often but always use the clutch for upshifting. and on the street i just always use the clutch just because. my question is why not use the clutch for upshifting specifically, is there an advantage for hard riding?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
unless you have short levers or are missing fingers, how do you not use 4 fingers for the clutch? i mean you would be smashin' em every time you shift, stop, and start.

If you clutch is adjusted right you don't have to pull it all the way in, just enough to release it. As far as he not using the clutch to upshift, the only advantage I can think of is a little quicker shifts, but when I was at the dragstrip I didn't notice any difference in my times wether I used my clutch or not. So I always use it

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
2 fingers on both brake and clutch! I tend to always have those fingers on both at all times riding in town. Out of town/HWY/FWY, I tend to still keep 1 finger on brake for safety.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have stock levers.

Always 2 for clutch and 2 for braking. Yesterday I even did a small stoppie with 2 fingers during an emergency-brake from 120km/h to zero. (stock brakes also)

And just for those who are curious... 1 (very big) toe on the gear lever and 4 on the rear brake.

2 cheeks on the seat, and during twisties only one cheek ;)

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have adj levers and just did kn's mod it's so smooth and soft I could probably blow on my clutch and it would shift :)