How low can you go.....(Twisties)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense taken mate. I welcome all the help I can get to become a better rider:thumbup:. I'll try to explain myself. Believe me, I too wish not to give offense (hence the prolific use of smileys in my posts usually:BLAA:...lol)

I do know that my body position is not even close to being right, on every single road except the 'D' road ). On the 'D' road you don't have to try to lift your head over the long grass to see what's coming or avoid branches that poke out from the side of the road at head height or spot assorted vehicles (inlcluding bikes) coming round corners in your lane, so I (and this is the only way I can think to try to explain it...lol) try to put my lower shoulder under the side bulge of the fuel tank and my head under the lower bar end. Another reason for doing it right on the 'D' road is that the speeds are a little higher (insert tuneless whistle):innocent: and you need to be laying on the tank or you won't last 5 minutes before you're rolling off the throttle and trying to stop looking at the sky:eek:....lol. Hmm..perspective....OK I know a guy who's been known to take 90km/h bends at 240km/h on the 'D' road. Short tubby bugga. Forget his name. Rides a black FZ1 just like mine.
But on the other roads, it's a self preservation thing that I've thought about and I'm going to keep doing it, 'cause I think I'm safer (whether or not this is true....who knows...lol...but I can only try):don'tknow:.

But I was doing it better through the kink at Lala's and had the peg on the deck the whole way through there. People not even hanging off aren't touching....lol...Being a fat Bastich is seriously p1551ng me off:rant:....lol.

Definitely need to upgrade the supposedly non-revalvable (B.S.) rear shock and go a stiffer spring. This will put a stop to a lot of the squirming and fishtailing too, I am sure.:rockon:

I've watched Wolfman who is a similar weight but has decent suspension and Rearsets, with offset plates, and does not hang off the bike on a public road (concious choice there which I applaud) and other than toe tapping I've never seen his pegs even get close to the deck.

So I reckon if I upgrade the suspension, and eventually get rearsets, my peg scraping days will be officially over. Can't afford to do it yet so I'll have to continue to ride around the problem and be very careful about how far over I go. I've only scraped the "Spud Cannon" once so I've got a pretty good idea where to stop.:D

Please continue to offer up advice mate, and if I sound less than graceful in my reception of it, give us a verbal slappin'.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike.

Thanks Mike I wasn't sure how to take your previous post and was not trying to be condescending or anything like that. My advice is also ONLY my advice/opinion and should be taken for what it is (not much lol).

So if I get it right, it sounds like your main issue is suspension (get on a diet!!! lol jk)... and the 2nd point is that you purposely trade off some body positioning to get better visibility... Makes sense.

For me (and me alone...), trading off body positioning for better visibility makes me uncomfortable... yes you increase safety by increasing visibility, but on the other hand your decrease it by purposely by-passing proper body positioning (decreasing ultimate control and stability)... Personally, if I can't see through a bend I`ll either slow down or consciously take the risk. But to each their own! We all do what makes us more comfortable... :)

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Does in the dirt count? :D

2936396278_fb0185a40b.jpg

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
WOOHOOO first kneedown!!!:BLAA::BLAA:

It took me 30 minutes, but the knee touched the ground one time.
There is a rip in my riding pants at kneehight, but it was worth it!

after that, almost knee touchdown (don't want to total my pants)