How do you warm up your bike?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like most people here are doing something similar. I roll the bike out of the garage, start it, then put my gear on and roll out. This takes a minute or so and the temp is usually around 130 as I start the 3/4 mile cruise out of my 25mph neighborhood.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride year round and the temps here are generally 50°F or higher. So I fire it off, fit helmet and gloves, board and leave keeping it under 4k regardless of indicated coolant temp.
Either direction is about 2 miles of 35 mph. Even at that I dont rip on until its been at 170°F (coolant) for at least 10" allowing the trans, tires, oil and everything else to come to operating temp.

Everything needs to warm before opening it up but plenty of times I depart before the temp gauge registers a number. Im not forced into 55mph traffic so I can take my time getting to speed.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like most people here are doing something similar. I roll the bike out of the garage, start it, then put my gear on and roll out. This takes a minute or so and the temp is usually around 130 as I start the 3/4 mile cruise out of my 25mph neighborhood.

clearly this :)

Reaction score
Visit site
At the moment for my work commute it's usually:

1. Remove cover from bike, which is usually damp from the rain (gotta love UK weather)
2. Add topbox to back of bike
3. Key in ignition, start her up
4. Go get remainder of gear on (textile padded jacket, lid, double gloves)
5. Bike is usually around 50°c and idle revs have dropped a bit.
6. Jump on, wheel her into position, drive gently onto the road, 10-15mph for the first eighth of a mile until I get out of my neighbourhood, then onto 30-40mph
7. Four/five miles in when I'm out of the heavier traffic and filtering needing to be done can open up to around 50-70mph depending on conditions etc, both tyres and bike fully warmed up

I prefer short stopping, i.e. to go into a shop and buy more smokes on a hot day, then when you get back you can key in, gear up, pull out of parking safety and just open up that throttle :)