How do you flag a rider behind you in case of an emergency stop?

slikfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was almost involved in a head on collision with a cager. I saw what was coming and got out of the way, the rider behind me didn't. To make it worse it was at night.

My reaction was to hit the flashers and swerve all the way to the slow lane. Is there a pocedure or something similar on how you could let other riders know that there is an oncoming hazard, specially in the dark?? Are the hazard lights just about the only thing you could do??

W

wrightme43

After I did a emergency stop and Nate and Angela (two up more mass) bumped me at about 5mph in the back we discussed this.

Left hand up. Just like on the race track. I have been using it in traffic too.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
In an emergency, put all your attention on your own ride. Signaling, waving, etc takes away time that you could be using to save your own ass.

They're behind you, they've got more reaction time than you do. So the odds are already stacked in their favor.

In short, save your own ass and after it's over look back and hope that they did the same.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe if there is a true emergency that you shouldn't be thinking about what is behind you(unless that is the emergence). Actually I will bet that you won't be thinking about what's benind you. Are you going to throw your hazards on, or a hand up when you're braking to save your life?

W

wrightme43

Probley not, but I will try. LOL
The flashing the brake lights doesnt work. It just loads and unloads the front wheel and that doesnt work.

slikfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel real bad for the guy, he is still in ICU, 16 days later. I started to develop guilt as I should have done something diferent. But then again you guys make sense, in fact there was only 5 to 8 seconds of reaction time, and at 75 mph it's pretty quick.

Can you guys keep the comments and ideas coming, it really helps!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel real bad for the guy, he is still in ICU, 16 days later. I started to develop guilt as I should have done something diferent. But then again you guys make sense, in fact there was only 5 to 8 seconds of reaction time, and at 75 mph it's pretty quick.

Well? You shouldn't feel guilty. If you were closer to the incident than the rider behind you and you avoided it, then that rider should have had more than ample time to avoid the accident. He did not so this means one of two things: Either he was following too close OR he wasn't paying any attention at all.

You needed to do nothing with concerns of him. You needed to do exactly what you did and focus on your well-being in those fractions of seconds. You did nothing wrong. It's hard to see it happen to a friend, but you cannot beat yourself up when you played no part in his accident. Thank God you didn't get wrapped up in it! Go, support your friend's recovery and don't dwell on something you cannot change.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Well? You shouldn't feel guilty. If you were closer to the incident than the rider behind you and you avoided it, then that rider should have had more than ample time to avoid the accident. He did not so this means one of two things: Either he was following too close OR he wasn't paying any attention at all.

You needed to do exactly what you did and focus on your well-being in those fractions of seconds. You did nothing wrong.

I completely agree. He is responsible for his own actions. He should have kept a safer distance or paid more attention to what was going on, especially since it was at night.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds to me like you took appropriate action and first protected yourself and went beyond what should be necessary to warn the other rider without putting yourself in harms way. In emergency situations you have few options for yourself to take to avoid harm, braking alone should be enough to alert a following rider. If the additional lane change and flashers still didn't catch his attention then as pointed out by others you did all you could have done.

This should also be a reminder to anyone riding in a group not to relax because you have riders in front or behind you. Too often in my commute I see riders in a group not leaving enough spacing and relying on others to signal or make judgement calls for them. The riders riding with you may or may not be as skilled as you or may be willing to take larger risks. Remember to ride your own ride.

I know the situation sucks but you shouldn't feel guilty. I hope the other rider pulls through.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been involved in a couple of near misses, and it very difficult to think about those behind. you just pray and hope they are paying attention to whats happening in front of them. and in a fast emergency things happen so fast before you can say booo. so hands on your bike handles and focus. if the guy behind you is too aggressive let him pass you.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/blogs/bledubd/73-blink-eye-see.html

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the person behind you is far enough back and looking out in front far enough then they have more time than you to do something about a situation. It is possible to distract a person's attention by trying to signal them.

I only usually flash my brake lights to signal non emergency type slow down situations, like police, radars or kids up ahead in a school zone, just so i don't get run down decelerating for no apparent reason.

don't feel guilty for something you didn't do dude. It's not healthy and helps no one.
Cheers
Mike

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Don`t feel giulty, you did well to save your own skin.

But it is a real good reminder that we all need to keep those separation distances all the time and also not to follow into gaps that you cannot see to be clear.

Steve

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, how experienced was he in group riding? I know for me it took a few rides and a couple hundred miles before I stopped watching the guy in front of me so much and started looking in front of me. If you're riding in group formation properly IE staggered he should have had alot of time to react and avoid you and the object of collision.. that is unless he was busy watching you and worried about hitting you, which in turn means he was probably following too closely.

Hope he pulls through, but you did nothing wrong man. **** happens, you were prepared he wasn't.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you see a crash and as you get closer i always put mr left hand in the air and wave it and keep doing it till i either pass it or come to a stop.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that you need to take care of yourself first. Taking a hand off the bars or letting up to flash the brake lights could be disastrous in an emergency stop or intense situation. If anything I would try for the horn button if I had all my bases covered. But staying in control of your own bike is Job One.

slikfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the comments! Yes, I will continue to stay alert for my own good and try when ever possible to alert any riders close by.

I will be stopping by the hospital this week, he's slowly coming out of sedation.

Thanks again!!!

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
In emergency, yes you make sure you're ok first. You were thinking right, from what you've said, and probably nothing else could have changed.

What i'd like to add is whenever you do hit the brakes, please know what is behind you. A bike can stop quickly, but not a cage. Obviously pulling out the way is also advisable.

For me, any "incident" i see the hazards go on, purely cos i don't want someone rear ending me. Also when at traffic lights at night, i pull to the side, and any cages coming up from behind i flash the brake lights.

Got the other guy in my thoughts. :(

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above posts. In your first post you said that you used the hazard lights. You should stand by your friend but definitely not feel guilty about his accident. Hope he gets better soon.