How do you clean your gear?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For textiles +1 on in the shower:thumbup:. But I also use either liquid hand soap or sugar soap for getting the grime off. just be sure to rinse very thoroughly as left over soap when wet will wick water through to some extent.

This is about 2 weeks of road grime on mine.

Cheers
Mike

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The two jackets I own are textile. One mesh and the other is this Yamaha Endurance Jacket that cost almost $400 brand new. I stuck it in the washer after taking out the armor end of last year's winter riding season. Cleaned up well. Reflective piping still intact and the embroidery came out nice and clean as well. As some other member has mentioned, you can place a coat of waterproofing onto the jacket if you think the integrity of the waterproofing has declined. If I know that I'm going to be riding in the rain, I usually place a rain coat over the jacket anyway, plus it keeps the jacket relativley clean from all of the road wash from the other vehicles.

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When i baught my DAINESE Gore tex, they told that the best way to clean textiles is to put them for some time in the water with a smooth detergent, then wipe it with a sponge and let it dry by itself. Washing machine damages the waterproof inner textile, i think it's made of teflon. :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a red and white textile jacket that is basically gray on the front now and shiny white on the back. Is there a good way to clean out road grime or should I get an all-black jacket?

For leather as well. I'm looking at a nice leather jacket but it has white on the front as well. How could I keep it clean?

2008joerocketyamahachamfo1.jpg
I swear by this stuff, you can get it from Hein Gericke.
I have recently redone my textile jacket. It came up clean and re-water proofed.
All of their products are very reasonably priced and lack any of the usual gimmicky.

nikwax textile cleaner - Google Product Search

Nelly

PS the washing machine stuff is the best IMHO.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When i baught my DAINESE Gore tex, they told that the best way to clean textiles is to put them for some time in the water with a smooth detergent, then wipe it with a sponge and let it dry by itself. Washing machine damages the waterproof inner textile, i think it's made of teflon. :thumbup:
Gortex is a specialty lining in its own class. I clean my Gortex gear using that method.

Nelly

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Clean your gear? I didn't think anyone else did the baby wipe thing... I don't feel so sheepish now. I use the wipes on my gloves and for the textile I just hose it down in the back yard and let it dry. Barbarically simple, but it's good enough for me until my next storm I ride into.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"OFF" won't work, but in Dallas we use "AROUND".
Just spray it all over you and your bike, the bugs don't hit you at all,
they just go around you. Works up to 100 MPH.
You can get it at the Bull****ter Biker Supply in deep ellem.
(of course I'm just kidding)