How cold is too cold for you?

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I have too ride in the cold! Because I insisted on having my bike instead of a car after her acura tl type s got totaled in a flash flood! the ol lady did let me spring for the scorpion riding gear that stuff works in the pic it was 24degrees and i made it comfortably to say the least.

I did the same stupid thing- fixing my bike after I wrecked it instead of fixing my truck which of course then threw a rod!!!

Which Scorpion gear do you have and what did you pay?

I rode when it was about 29f on my regular 20+ miles route to my girlfriends and even in these crazy thick gloves she bought me I was ok.
The rest of me is fine but I look funny with all of the layers that I wear. It would be nice to be able to just put on two pieces and go. I have some thing I wear that a friend brought me from Germany like a balaclava but it goes way way down the jacket and it is so thin you can see through it but man that thing is magic and it keeps my neck warm.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same stupid thing- fixing my bike after I wrecked it instead of fixing my truck which of course then threw a rod!!!

Which Scorpion gear do you have and what did you pay?

I rode when it was about 29f on my regular 20+ miles route to my girlfriends and even in these crazy thick gloves she bought me I was ok.
The rest of me is fine but I look funny with all of the layers that I wear. It would be nice to be able to just put on two pieces and go. I have some thing I wear that a friend brought me from Germany like a balaclava but it goes way way down the jacket and it is so thin you can see through it but man that thing is magic and it keeps my neck warm.
Man we must be sharing a brain and forgot where we left it!!! LOL my jacket is the 1st
tag in the pics ,the pants the 2nd,and gloves are the 3rd.you can find this stuff alot cheaper on the net than what the prices are marked on them.I bought them all from the shop I worked for with my employee discount and paid about 40 percent less total.so dont get ripped off!

Last edited:

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last couple of day's it is -15°c (5F) at night or in the morning overhere in the Netherlands. I still keep driving my bike.
I don't know when it is to cold. I just don't like black ice. That is way to much but otherwise I just keep going on. :rockon:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I still ride my bike daily, in the dead of winter. Constantly hovering around freezing, goes up to 50 one day, but down to -5 the next. Its completely random but I'll ride reguardless as long as its half decent out and not in the midst of a blizzard.

Its never too cold to ride, only to icey, or too snowy, never too cold though.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I'm in SoCal, so far I have enjoyed riding in the winter more so than summer. The last couple of days commute were somewhere around 50F. With tour jacket and gear, it's quite comfortable.

Given a choice, I prefer 50 over 80+ degrees.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the unfortunate pleasure of having to ride an hour to work on Tuesday, cold only and I would've been OK but it was 34F and misting rain so not too much fun. My gear however was great, I had on long sleeve cotton shirt, scrubs, BMW fleece zipshirt(has neoprene on arms) Teknic jacket w/liner, Tourmaster pants w/liner, military boot socks, and snakeboots, insulated Harley gloves and used a knit headband($2 @walmart)for my neck. My toes & knees were cool but not cold, my BMW has heated grips & handguards so only had cool fingertips. All in all not too bad especially for this Florida girl's first winter in KY. My boyfriend wouldn't let me ride home though, he brought my truck & trailer to pick me up, he was afraid roads would ice up for my midnight ride home & I sure wasn't gonna complain....brr

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to admit it but... in my three years of biking, this has been the first week where I've left the bike at home and caught the bus.

Simple reason... I have a mile of untreated roads to ride before I get to the main roads, and the snow that fell at the weekend hadn't thawed at all until lunchtime today, it had been compacted down by traffic so much and refrozen so many times that it had turned to an inch thick layer of slick ice.

I love my bike, but I don't want to die for it!

Fortunately, it's all melted now, and the forecast for the UK is the temps will stay above freezing for the next few days so I may actually be able to swing a leg over!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When my clutch freezes :( (it's been outside under a cover since last Friday) , well actually I just let the engine warm up and it freed itself :thumbup: