How Accurate is the spedo on the FZ

jrgimaging

Reaction score
Visit site
pretty accurate. i traded in my 2month old kawasaki vulcan on my fz6 on monday. the vulcan was off by over 10% vs. my gps. gps says i'm going 71, vulcan says 78-80. i'm sure the gps wasntn 100% accurate either

the speedo on the fz6 is +/- 3 mph vs my gps at any speed.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are several threads regarding our speedo's. You can probably spend all day reading about how inaccurate they are and speedo healers, gps etc. Just hit the search tab. But to quickly answer your question, about 8 mph off, but I think they are fairly accurate at slower speeds, it's just the faster you go, it's going to be off maybe up to 10mph.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Vegas said, it varies by what speed you are going. It is actually a percentage error, not a raw number off. According to my GPS, mine is off approximately 10% which is what others have estimated as well. In other words, in order for my GPS to show 60 mph, my bike has to read between 66-67mph. GPS 80mph shows bike 88-89mph.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Tonight riding home i passed on of those speed check trailers the LEOs set-up on hwy, my speedo was showing 77mph it flashed 67mph, I promptly rolled on a little more throttle :rockon: Last night passed it in my car and it was right on target. So not accurate here, seems typical for most Japanese bikes, I always complained at hubby being a slow-poke on his Honda, now I'm a slow-poke too..... not!

FastZipper6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: How Accurate is the speedo on the FZ

That's the one thing I don't like about the bike. When it says 70mph I know I'm only going about 63. Do they do that on purpose? I think they can do better than that. I mean come on, the bike is highly technical and they can't get the speed to read correctly? I don't really want to invest in a speed healer but I guess I'll live with it since the bike is so cool anyway.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That's the one thing I don't like about the bike. When it says 70mph I know I'm only going about 63. Do they do that on purpose? I think they can do better than that. I mean come on, the bike is highly technical and they can't get the speed to read correctly? I don't really want to invest in a speed healer but I guess I'll live with it since the bike is so cool anyway.

Actually, I really don't mind it at all. As long as I know how much it's off. I thought about getting a speedo healer with the group buy, but keeping the speedo the way it is will keep me from going any faster. My highway speed is 80 in a 65mph zone, which is about 72mph in reality. If I get the speedo, I'm actually going 80mph, which might get me a ticket. Call it a cushion or grace period.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I go 85 km/hr while the bike is actually only going 80. Roadside speed machines tell me the exact same thing each time with 5km being off all the time.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has an exact +ve stock error of 6-7%. Speedo = 50, GPS = 47, Speedo = 90 GPS = 85, Speedo = 100, GPS = 93

But now I have the -1T mod and speedohealer so it is accurate within 1 mph. Speedo = 49, GPS = 50, Speedo = 90, GPS = 90

Last edited:

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Mine has an exact +ve stock error of 6-7%. Speedo = 50, GPS = 47, Speedo = 90 GPS = 85, Speedo = 100, GPS = 93

But now I have the -1T mod and speedohealed so it is accurate within 1 mph. Speedo = 49, GPS = 50, Speedo = 90, GPS = 90

Mine was also 7% or so off. Speedohealer with stock gearing accurate within 1 mph or less. GPS verified.

B

bluenova

Yes, it's done on purpose with all vehicles. The manufacturer would rather it displayed a few km/miles over the actual speed than 1 km/mile under and ending up getting sued by lots of people with speeding fines.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering how accurate is the speedometer? If the speedometer says 60 are you going 60?

Guess my stock 2008 is more accurate than most. My GPS says 60, speedo 63. That make a 5% error. Odometer is more accurate than speedo, a little less than 1% off from GPS, but that may be within GPS margin of error. (Garmin 60cx)

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed my speedo healer. Now I know an can better judge just what the Hwy speed is. I was thinking these people in the commute lane are crazy fast me indicating originally 85 to 90 mph an getting tailgated.
Now I'm "healed" 80 is 80 if anyone comes faster I move over!
The down side is mpg is less, acceleration is slower an that run to 130, well, maybe again for real some day...
Installation was easy, I just eased the tank up and put a wood block to gain access to the plug. Velcro'd the unit under the seat(make sure you can access buttons and read display). I did run the remote button up to instrument area an zip tied to a cable but don't think I'll ever use it. I experimented an ended up useing the same number as given in example on instruction sheet -9.1. Indicates perfect to my gps.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site

Quite honestly, I'm more PO'd by the fact that I can't switch my 06's display between KPH and MPH. Canadian 06 FZ6's don't have that capability (displays KPH only),yet the US bikes of the same year do have it. I'm quite dumbfounded by this ridiculous oversight. Does Yamaha think Canadians don't ride down to the US or something? I can use my GPS to get an accurate MPH reading, but the display is so tiny I can barely see it sometimes.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed my speedo healer. Now I know an can better judge just what the Hwy speed is. I was thinking these people in the commute lane are crazy fast me indicating originally 85 to 90 mph an getting tailgated.
Now I'm "healed" 80 is 80 if anyone comes faster I move over!
The down side is mpg is less, acceleration is slower an that run to 130, well, maybe again for real some day...
Installation was easy, I just eased the tank up and put a wood block to gain access to the plug. Velcro'd the unit under the seat(make sure you can access buttons and read display). I did run the remote button up to instrument area an zip tied to a cable but don't think I'll ever use it. I experimented an ended up useing the same number as given in example on instruction sheet -9.1. Indicates perfect to my gps.

I'm trying to ascertain if the new Speedo Healer will give me the capability of switching my speedo display to MPH from KPH and back again. My Canadian 06 model year FZ6 does not have this capability. I've sent an email to the manufacturer but didn't get a response.

dereknjenny04

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to ascertain if the new Speedo Healer will give me the capability of switching my speedo display to MPH from KPH and back again. My Canadian 06 model year FZ6 does not have this capability. I've sent an email to the manufacturer but didn't get a response.

I would almost certainly say it will not.

My understanding is that it just adjusts the input signal to the speedo. If the speedo doesn't have the capability now to convert that signal into KPH and MPH, then I don't see how modifying that signal will give it that ability.

-Derek

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I remember in the directions the unit as it comes will convert MPH to KPH. To go the other way is possible but there is "something" needed - sorry don't have the instructions in front of me; this something could just be a bit of programming or an additional device.
Maybe some out there can give better info.