hot butt

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright iv heard that carbon fiber weave will eventually burn out. is there any truth to this?

I've seen discoloration on TB exhaust posted on this forum. Don't think I've seen one on LV. Never heard of it losing function though.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Bottom line is this, LEO VINCE is the better exhaust. PERIOD. You will not believe the difference the decat pipe makes in your comfort level. When I first rode the FZ6 last summer, I was like wtf?? Why is it so fricking hot down there? And even after a short ride, don't even think about touching the exhaust. I always have to wait 10 minutes to put the cover on the bike.

Now with LV, no more hot butt. No more waiting for exhaust to cool to put cover on. One downside though, in the winter I do miss hot butt. Buy one now!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
$100 says your "hot butt" was caused by it being 90 degrees outside and sitting in traffic, not exhaust heat coming through the seat.

1. the muffler is insulated and doesn't even get that hot, the exhaust pipe between engine and muffler is well ventilated and quite a good distance from the underside of the seat.

2. your are sitting on a couple inches of foam (insulation)...if that is bleeding through noticeable heat you have bigger problems than a warm butt!

3. The fact that seat is made of foam (insulation) means that your body heat is going to be trapped under your (butt) and will cause your butt to feel "hot", especially if there is no air movement. My butt gets hot sometimes on long trips, simply standing up on the pegs for a few seconds once in a while will cool it nicely. :)

In 5 years of owning an FZ6 (4 of which have been with Scorpion pipes) I have never once experienced my butt overheating as a result of the seat warming up from exhaust heat. Any time I sweat it's because I'm stopped in traffic in 85-105 degree humidity!

Last edited:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
$100 says your "hot butt" was caused by it being 90 degrees outside and sitting in traffic, not exhaust heat coming through the seat.

1. the muffler is insulated and doesn't even get that hot, the exhaust pipe between engine and muffler is well ventilated and quite a good distance from the underside of the seat.

2. your are sitting on a couple inches of foam (insulation)...if that is bleeding through noticeable heat you have bigger problems than a warm butt!

3. The fact that seat is made of foam (insulation) means that your body heat is going to be trapped under your (butt) and will cause your butt to feel "hot", especially if there is no air movement. My butt gets hot sometimes on long trips, simply standing up on the pegs for a few seconds once in a while will cool it nicely. :)

In 5 years of owning an FZ6 (4 of which have been with Scorpion pipes) I have never once experienced my butt overheating as a result of the seat warming up from exhaust heat. Any time I sweat it's because I'm stopped in traffic in 85-105 degree humidity!

Ditto, but 4 years / 36k miles / all stock exhaust. When it's hot out... stuff gets hot.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Also I believe this is complete and accurate but I may have missed an option...

tcmalker.jpg

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
You missed the part about checking to see if the baffles are in. If they are, they need to be removed ASAP! Loud Pipes Save Lives.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've logged over 60,000 miles on FZ6's with stock exhausts and never had any heat issues except for stop and go traffic....that's usually going to happen no matter what type of bike you have. I don't think it's worth a new exhaust. I can see how some aftermarket systems would be cooler though.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still surprise that some of you haven't try or go with a 6R type of exhaust. (Underneath) So more compact and lighter. I'm curious... how much the whole exhaust system weight? (Stock/Aftermarket) The one I build is 10 lbs (6R headers with Viper Racing Micro Can)

I have to admit that I really like the look of the FZ6 exhaust, but I didn't know about the heat issue.
For most of us, one thing that attracts us to the FZ6 is the undertail exhaust.

:)

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just here because I expected an image to go along with that subject line. But alas, I'm disappointed again. While I'm here, though:

I'm still surprise that some of you haven't try or go with a 6R type of exhaust. (Underneath) So more compact and lighter.

That would be interesting. Then you're left with a big gaping hole under the seat. Be a good opportunity to provide some under seat storage, but I don't foresee any aftermarket folk investing in new designs for our model with it being discontinued now that the FZ8's out.

mellow mark

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe my problem is unique to South Tx. A group of us rode about 700 miles into the Hill Country this past weekend and no one except me experienced a truly fried butt or a right thigh (inside) that looked like cooked lobster. (I'm also the only one who'll tackle these distances on a sport bike). OK, the temps were in the 100 to 105 range, but slow traffic was never an issue with our group. My temp guage read in the 170's early AM and climbed into the high 190's by mid-day. I've taken the seat off and there's not very much heat shielding (8" by 2" on underside of panel beneath the seat). Any opinions on wrapping the exhaust with an asbestos-type fabric or any better ideas? I'm not into how my Yamahammer sounds and I don't really want to drop big bux on an aftermarket x-system - anyone have any ideas?

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that decision tree, made me laugh for sure.

My temperature problems didn't come from the seat, unless I had the bike sitting in the sun for a while before I got on it.

I always felt heat coming from the engine, mostly on my legs, not heat coming from the exhaust. I don't consider what I was feeling a problem, seems perfectly normal to me given the temperature of the engine and the weather.

On my FZ1 the exhaust isn't really under the seat at all, but it feels like the bike runs a lot hotter so I feel it more on my legs.