hot butt

ktm-yamaha13

Reaction score
Visit site
hey everyone,

i just purchased a leftover (but still brand new) 09' fz6. prior to buying the bike i was concerned the undertail exhaust would leave my butt steaming. however my sales man iv delt with many of times assured me that it was no issue.

so iv had the bike for just under a month now and cracked 800 miles so far with no issues. however the other day i was riding through town at a slow 15mph pace for about 3 miles and the motor got up to 215degrees (usually runs around 170-180) but when it got warm so did my butt, anyone else have this issue? any idea how to correct it? a heat shield of some sort..

thanks in advance.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum! Afraid to say I can't help because i have yet to purchase my fz6 :spank: but you've definitely come to the right place for that kinda answer!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum.

Your exhaust should have a heat shield on it. If it doesn't then search FOR SALE section on the forum or post in the WANTED TO BUY section. You never know your luck.

I have CF cans now but I never had heat problems when I had stock ones. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
My seat gets warm in slow traffic in high ambient temps but not hot enough to cause discomfort. I had soft saddle bags on with no problems and now have an Axio tail bag on and it does feel a little warm on the inside but doesn't cause any problems. Like Kazza said check and make sure all the shields are in place, check with Bike Bandit or any of the other suppliers that have an exploded view of the components.
And welcome to the forum.

Jerry

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, your butt will get hot real fast if you're in stop & go traffic. Easy fix is to get yourself some Leo vince, preferably carbon fiber. Why? Because it comes with a decat pipe, which greatly reduce heat. (That's one of the reasons why most people here prefer Leo Vince over Two Bros). GREATLY. Combined with carbon fiber, believe me your butt will thank me later.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
so far i put header wrap on the cat and some foam/aluminum isolation under the seat , still gets hot , next step will have to be a race car heat shield mat under the seat .

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum.

I have CF cans now but I never had heat problems when I had stock ones. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if we should believe her
Heat goes the other way in Australia
and water in the toilet flushes counter clock wises

TELL ME IT AIN"T SO LOL

ktm-yamaha13

Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning to get an exhaust after this summer (need to save money) but my dads got two bros on his st1300 and it sounds awesome. never heard leo vince.. but when you eliminate the cat do you have to remap the computer? or is it bolt on and go..

thanks

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
There's always one, isn't there
I'm sorry but I can't help it I love Australia and you alls great sense of hummer:cheer:
Was in Sidney back in 1970 and would love to ride there.:thumbup:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I was planning to get an exhaust after this summer (need to save money) but my dads got two bros on his st1300 and it sounds awesome. never heard leo vince.. but when you eliminate the cat do you have to remap the computer? or is it bolt on and go..

thanks

i'd take that post with a grain of salt. it might be true, but in my 2 or so years here, and all the reading i've done on this forum, that's the first that i've read of someone stating what people on this forum prefer in the way of an exhaust. and i've never heard someone mention taking out the cat for heat reasons. could be true... i might have missed it... but that's the first i've read it.

personally, if i were ever to get a set it'd be the two brothers. they look the best to me. but that's me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks

No remap required. They look and sound great and definitely reduce the heat (though I can only speak for carbon).

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
No one buys a aftermarket exhaust to reduce heat, although reduced heat is a byproduct of having aftermarket exhaust. Aftermarket exhausts accelerate the evacuation of exhaust gasses which gives the exhaust less time to cool before exiting the pipe. As such, the exhaust gas measured at the rear of the mufflers may be slightly hotter due to the gas taking a more direct exit and not being swirled around inside a chambered muffler. Also, cat removal definitely will decrease overall heat because heat is how a catalytic convertor works. It restricts flow slowing the flow of exhaust gasses pulling heat into the core of the catalyst and storing the heat to assist burning off any unspent fuel.

Also, construction on aftermarket exhaust is usually more exotic (carbon fiber or titanium) than factory stainless steel. If you want a drop in temperature, buy a carbon or titanium system. You can lay your hand on these after a long ride and they are only warm.

So, yes, a aftermarket exhaust (especially with cat removal) will reduce temperature. But most people buy them for the sound, performance and styling.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, yes, a aftermarket exhaust (especially with cat removal) will reduce temperature. But most people buy them for the sound, performance and styling.

Not me! I bought mine strictly to reduce heat cause my wife was complaining that the seat was getting hot! That's my story and I'm sticking to it
65.gif

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org

thanks for the lesson. always interested in learning. :thumbup: i would have thought simply by the fact that you now have two pipes with more surface area for air to hit that they would remain cooler as well.

guess i should have been more clear in my first response. i was mainly meaning that i've never seen on here that the forum approved aftermarket exhaust was the leo because it had a cat-less pipe and kept your seat cooler. if anything, i read about what one sounds the best... but mainly what one looks the best and is on sale.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still surprise that some of you haven't try or go with a 6R type of exhaust. (Underneath) So more compact and lighter. I'm curious... how much the whole exhaust system weight? (Stock/Aftermarket) The one I build is 10 lbs (6R headers with Viper Racing Micro Can)

I have to admit that I really like the look of the FZ6 exhaust, but I didn't know about the heat issue.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still surprise that some of you haven't try or go with a 6R type of exhaust. (Underneath) So more compact and lighter. I'm curious... how much the whole exhaust system weight? (Stock/Aftermarket) The one I build is 10 lbs (6R headers with Viper Racing Micro Can)

I have to admit that I really like the look of the FZ6 exhaust, but I didn't know about the heat issue.

That looks sweet, Marthy! Got a sound clip?!

Stock exhaust weighs 18 pounds. Leo carbon weighs 10 pounds.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks sweet, Marthy! Got a sound clip?!

Stock exhaust weighs 18 pounds. Leo carbon weighs 10 pounds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E492fdkRjs&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Marthy's Video 2[/ame]

I build a few of those for the boys. Sound great! With the PCV and the map I made the bike pick up good power, espacially in the mid range. - 8 lbs...

I really like to find someone with a FZ6 in the West Palm Beach area to work with me and build one of those. :rockon:

FZ6 exhaust is only 18 lbs? Is this the whole thing from the headers to the muffler?

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, your butt will get hot real fast if you're in stop & go traffic. Easy fix is to get yourself some Leo vince, preferably carbon fiber. Why? Because it comes with a decat pipe, which greatly reduce heat. (That's one of the reasons why most people here prefer Leo Vince over Two Bros). GREATLY. Combined with carbon fiber, believe me your butt will thank me later.

Agree here. I went for a long ride this weekend and when I got home my son asked if the exhaust got hot. We really didn't know, so we touched the carbon fiber cans and they were surprisingly cool.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YouTube - Marthy's Video 2

I build a few of those for the boys. Sound great! With the PCV and the map I made the bike pick up good power, espacially in the mid range. - 8 lbs...

I really like to find someone with a FZ6 in the West Palm Beach area to work with me and build one of those. :rockon:

FZ6 exhaust is only 18 lbs? Is this the whole thing from the headers to the muffler?

Sounds pretty good! 18 pounds is the weight of entire exhaust from header back.