Hot 90+ weather Jacket

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Wanted some input on jackets for hot summer riding. I have a Scorpion 3 season thats good when I ride to work at 5am but midday/early afternoon its too hot with all the liner's removed. Any thoughts on good mesh/textile or even leather combo?

Ideally not several hundred too but any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love love love my olympia airglide 3 jacket. Rather pricy at $285 new, but it has held up phenomenally, has great protection (though thankfully I haven't tested this yet), and flows massive air. This jacket has actually sold me on the brand. They now have the airglide 4, so a 3 might be found cheaper used somewhere. Some shops may also have the older models at a discount.

I have the pants too and they are just as awesome. Great for wearing shorts underneath.

Another plus is olympia has great customer service. I experienced this first hand.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Olympia GT Air Transitions(retired model comparable to the current Nomad model) and it's a really great jacket with very large mesh vent panels for airflow. I've had it for 5 years and it's held up extremely well; I don't foresee a need to replace it anytime soon. If you are on one extreme of the size spectrum, you might be able to get one for a great deal here: Olympia GT Air All Seasons Transition Jacket - $169.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $299.99

A jacket like that will be able to replace your other jackets, so you might be able to bring your price point up a bit by selling your current gear. These types of jackets are great for days when it's cooler before the sun comes up and hot in the afternoon.

If you're just looking for a cheap summer jacket to have around in addition to your current lineup, hopefully others will chime in. The one below came up for sale yesterday here.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-for-sale/53225-tourmaster-draft-air-jacket-f-s.html

Hot weather PSA: It's been mentioned here before, but a reminder as summer rolls around might help someone. Too much venting can actually be a bad thing when ambient temperature is over 93 degrees: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

I've experiences this first hand on an IBA ride in Texas in June, nearly got heatstroke from the heating affect of the wind. A convertible jacket lets you dial in the amount of airflow hitting your body.

Last edited:

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just researched and bought the Alpinestars Cape Town Air for $120 on closeout (I see it has gone up in a price a little now)

Access Denied

I chose this jacket for three reasons: price, mesh, protection.
I really like the jacket, and it does flow a ton of air, however, I added the optional chest and back armor inserts which does hinder some airflow but well worth it for the amount of protection it provides! I don't know any other mesh jacket that allows for chest protection! It's also a 3/4 length jacket, which you may or may not like. Personally, I like the versatility and added protection. I think the mesh is placed properly and out of the way in the event of a fall. My only gripe is the collar sits a little too tall for me, but I'm hoping it'll grow on me. I run hot and I am comfortable at speed with this jacket. Since I ride rain or shine, it's nice that I can fit the rain liner in the back pocket.

The only other jacket I considered was the Tourmaster Sonora Air since I was only interested in a 3/4 length mesh jacket this time around, : Access Denied but i have no experience with it other than what is advertised.

I also still rock a Joe Rocket Supermoto leather/textile jacket around town. This was actually my first jacket over 10yrs ago! I've crashed numerous times in this jacket without injury and it still looks great and flows tons of air! I think they're cheap now, too: Temporary Insanity Deals

Many years ago I hit the pavement with an all mesh jacket and while it prevented some injury (elbow pads), it still tore apart and I got very bad road rash on my sides/back. Be very careful what you choose!

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is a Joe Rocket, mesh/Cordura with shoulder, elbow and spine pads. While I know it won't protect me as well as my leather armored jacket it sure beats getting heat exhaustion or stroke and running off the road!

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
As stated before keep an eye out on Motorcycle Closeout's website for tempory insanity deals. You can get a good mesh jacket for around $100 or cheaper. For example I have this one which I really like for hot weather. Although it may be just me but I don't feel as well protected in a mesh as I do in my Joe Rocket textile but for hot weather it works quite nicely.

Temporary Insanity Deals

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 for the last two summers in Phoenix. Great airflow and I really liked the looks. Lost a bunch of weight and my wife bought me an Alpinestars T-GP-R Air for my birthday earlier this year. I think the fit and finish is a little better on the Alpinestars, the airflow is still great, and I much prefer the velcro closures on the sleeves as opposed to the zipper on the Joe Rocket (which is harder to grab with gloved fingers and zip closed). But i'd have been happy if she just got me the Joe Rocket in a smaller size.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a few of these and can definitely feel the difference between the vented mesh jacket and the non mesh of the same jacket. don't know your size OP and there is limited availability so you'll need to shop a little. originally $240 they are listed at $200 and now $99 on closeout. i find the mesh to provide good airflow through the racing stripe and out two side vents. enough so that the jacket even puffs up with air sometimes. photo is not me but imo these jackets fit nice and right and look good as they have some length to 'em

Men's Speedway - Corazzo Design

menspeedBLKgrylife.jpg

this is also a good deal at $200 but available in size XS and S, only

Leather 5.0 Perforated - Corazzo Design

Corazzo_leather-04.jpg