• Rarely

Votes: 93 46.7%
  • Never

Votes: 26 13.1%

• Total voters

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
How often do you use your horn? I didn't think I used mine that often, but I was hit by a taxi a few weeks ago and I'm still waiting on some parts from Japan, one of which is a new horn. I've been out driving a few times now and fully realize how much I use my horn. In Canada, I'd rarely use it but living in Korea, it's as necessary as a seatbelt or helmet. Part of it is the way people drive here (not looking half the time) and part of it is that it's just accepted practice to use it. I for one won't be feeling at ease until I get a new horn on my bike. Thoughts? :eek:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my thumb on my horn almost constantly when I am in traffic. Not that it has enough "oomph" for most to hear it, but it has been effective in getting the attention of those I have used it for. I don't rely on it at all, and make sure I have an "out" to avoid troubles. But sometimes it sure feels good to be able to use it on a stupid inattentive driver!! :BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my stebel today. But I voted consistently by my local standards. what i consider consistent for me is not consistent for someone in korea or india.

if someone seems to even be generally drifting into my direction, i give them a beep to make sure theyre awake. i'd rather mildly irritate 1,000,000 people than get hit by 1.

p.s. my thumb is always hovering over it tho when approaching or in traffic clusters. its pretty much the only defense we have. the horn IS our roll cage.

seoulski

Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A louder horn will help. I put on a Hella Supertone (low) It does get drivers attention, but as you know a lot of drivers in Korea will invade your space whether they see you or not. They have little respect for bikes also. I did notice a difference running HID's on high and I have an auxillary brake lamp from signal dynamics that flashes when I brake. I think it gets peoples attention.

Hope your accident left you with only minor injuries. How did that work out for you? A friend of mine was rear ended while stopped at a red light recently.
Haven't got the details yet. From what I hear though, when a car or truck gets in an accident with a bike, the cage is automatically 100% at fault in Korea.

Ride safe Stay Away From Taxis:Flash:

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to think horn use was rude, but after seeing its use in other countries (including trucks that declare "Honk!" on the back) I now use it fairly regularly. I have deliberately not replaced it with a Nautilus because I want to use the "beep!" as a friendly reminder, not scare the heck out of someone and make them look for a freight train bearing down on them, when I want them to look for a small vehicle saying "hi!"

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love a bigger horn on my N, but can't see a discreet place to mount it :(

A big horn is about everything except discreet! :thumbup:

I don't know where you are, but do you have a fairing? Guessing no with the "N". Lots of real-estate under there.

One of my favorite sig quotes on a board goes something like "Nautilus Stebel: 3 spilled coffees, 2 dropped cellphones, and one fainted Pomeranian" :BLAA:

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope your accident left you with only minor injuries. How did that work out for you? A friend of mine was rear ended while stopped at a red light recently.
Haven't got the details yet. From what I hear though, when a car or truck gets in an accident with a bike, the cage is automatically 100% at fault in Korea.

Just some scraps and a sore leg - surprised it wasn't broken. Totally his fault and he admitted as much, but insurance says it's an 80/20 split since we were both driving. If there hadn't been a need to go through insurance, then the guy would have paid in full. In the case of a rearending, then it's 100% on the guy from behind. I hope your buddy is alright.

Give me a shout some time if you want to go for a cruise. I trot around with an odd bunch of bikes and have been to every part of the peninsula. Check out our Facebook group called Naked Cruisers Motorcycle Club. - Patrick

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
damn I need to get my Stebel mounted. Does anyone know about how you hook up the horn remotely using tubing or whatever? I've heard about it but don't know how to do it.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
i use my horn a ton... albeit, never intentionally, they put it sooo close to the signal indicator...

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
My Fiamm low-tone is great. It's loud and I sound like a truck, not a scooter. BTW, I cover my horn button all the time

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my horn constantly. Better to piss someone off than be a hood ornament.
I put the PIAA Sprot horn on the FZ and it is a huge improvement over the stock horn.
However on the BMW the CHP left the siren on the bike when they sold it. It has two switches, on for the siren and one for an electronic air horn. You know the big one like fire trucks use. I disconected the siren switch (Not legal to have a siren) and left the airhorn. That horn gets attention.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the dual PIAA sport horns and they work great. Sounds louder than my Toyota pickup truck. It gets there attention and I hope it stays that way. The main thing is people don't look for motorcycles like cars or trucks so we have to be more aware of the cagers for our safety.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I use my horn a lot for anything from distracted driver to people sleeping at a green light. I've got the nautilus on my bike and know one has failed to hear it yet but there was the old lady that ignored it and tried to back over me.