Hmm...another clip-on thread

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
So a while back I tried the whole CBR1100XX clipon deal and loved the lower position they gave, but hated the twitchiness that came with dropping the forks enough to mount the clipons. If I could have gotten the same height while somehow mounting them under the triple it would have been perfect. Unfortunately there was no way I could do this as I still have my fairing, and plan on keeping it. Since then I've still been thinking about it and after reading Hellgate's convertibar thread a few times, I figured there had to be a market out there for people wanting taller clipons on their sportbikes, and so the hunt began. For a while all I could really find were the Convertibars, but I kept looking. Just today I found Swatt clipons (actually found them from a Ducati forum). Clip-Ons They make them in a huge variety of sizes, including our 43mm. They also make them in a variety of heights.

The highest rise clipon they make is 3.5", which would put them at 116.5" in this picture, or about the same position as the low point in the FZ6 bar, before it bends upwards.

0905091258a.jpg

For reference, the CBR1100 clipons have a ~1.5" rise which clears the fairings (barely) but has a tab that locks in place on the triple, and it locks just short of being able to use the steering lock (very close though, a mm or so).

0905091259a.jpg

The CBR clipons will almost clear the fairing when mounted under the triple, but not once they have the grips and controls mounted on them.

0905091301a.jpg

Since these have a 1.5" rise, I think the 2.5" rise Swatt clipons would clear but it would be close. The 3.5" rise version should clear no problem and if need be, could simply be lowered a little on the forks if they are too high. I am thinking of giving them a try once I sell off my extra R6/FZ/CBR stuff. I figure with the extra height over the CBR ones to play with, and being able to better position them because it doesn't have the tabs the CBR ones do, I should be able to get the position back from the CBR clipons without having to ruin my suspension and while keeping steering lock.

A lot of SV guys swapped to them with no problems. Anyone ever tried them on the FZ?

And yes, before anyone says it, I know I could spend $9k on an R6 instead of ~$150 on clipons.

GlockDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder how the width will compare to the stock bars once mounted and controls are installed. I didn't see anything on their website about bar length.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
It said the clipons are heavy enough where a lot of people run without bar ends, but you can pop the plastic end off if you want to put a bar end on (I would just because it would look funky with no end). It is 17.5mm inner diameter, unthreaded. I have some universal bar ends I was using with the CBR clipons that have a rubber part inside the bar, as you tighten the screw it expands the rubber part until it locks in place with friction. The ones I have are cheap ones I got at Cycle Gear. I have heard nothing but good about HVMP bar ends though. They do not make ones for the FZ (6 or 1), but they do make a universal one. I would use that. Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm familiar with the barends you're talking about. Glad to hear the bars are heavy.

I have suburban bars now, but I am considering getting these. Clip-ons that don't hit the fairing and/or tank are something I've wanted since I got the bike.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah as soon as I saw talk of the CBR clipons I tried it, hoping to get rid of the bar. Hopefully this will fix the CBRs weaknesses. I still have to figure out what to do about the top triple though, whether to grind down the risers like Bertmoog did http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6858-clip-ons-triple-clamps.html or swap in the R6 triples I have sitting here, but that would require some machine work on the stem. Hellgate had a really nice top triple made but they are really expensive and they made his as a one-off; I don't see it listed on their site so I'm not sure they would even make another one. triple_clamps I'd most likely do like Bertmoog because I'm cheap. :D I would get them powdercoated though, not really a fan of shiny stuff.

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I read in another handlebar/clip on thread that someone was going to use an 07-09 R6s triple with their CBR clip ons. I don't know if it's different from an R6 though.

I have to take some measurements of the suburban bars on my bike and get an idea of where the clip ons would sit in comparison to to them. If I think I can get at least an inch lower I will go for it.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the CBR clip-ons sitting in my garage, I haven't gotten around to putting them on. My hesitation being not wanting to adjust my fork height as I love the way the FZ rides as is, I just want a little more aggressive position.

Make sure to keep us updated when you do get these.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I read in another handlebar/clip on thread that someone was going to use an 07-09 R6s triple with their CBR clip ons. I don't know if it's different from an R6 though.

I have an R6S triple (actually 03 R6 but same thing). I got it to go with my CBR clipons but never put it in since I took the CBR parts back off. It isn't a direct swap, you have to get some machine work done on the FZ6 stem to get it to fit the R6 triple. If these Swatt clipons work I might have to swap it in though; this would also let me get rid of the spacers I have for the R6 forks/calipers.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have read somewhere that many ppls are putting VFR clip ons on blackbirds for comfort as they are higher raise. I guess this can become an alternative as well?

301236292_o.jpg

Last edited: