Higher or different bars?????

Ray8751

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Peeps my names Ray and I live in the u.k. (West Yorkshire) and I have just joined this forum..I have just got back into biking after some 30 odd years (am 57 now) . i have bought a blue Fazer 600 on an 05 plate and I cant get enought of it..the only problem i am having is with my back aching!!!! :(..As I am new to all this new stuff I was wondering if there is anything I could do to sort of higher the bars a bit or fit different bars so that I am not leaning quite so far forwards..any advice is appreciated.:Sport:

PS I am only a short a..e so maybe that has something to do with the aching!!!

Or should I just forget biking and buy a rocking chair and sit there till I die:surrender:

Last edited:

Ray8751

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Bill thanks for the info mate they look like they might just keep me out of the rocking chair:cheer::Flash:.....Any other guys got any ideas plz

Ray

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got big straight ProTaper mx bars on mine, I don't have much back pain from riding(I have a bad back so it's an issue), but I've found that my arms hurt after hours of riding.
I guess it's a trade off, either your back or your arms are gonna hurt.

Here's what mine look like. Click on pic for bigger view

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say you might need a combo of sorts.... risers and a new set of bars maybe? you will have to try stuff out and see what you like/works best for you.....I would probably start with the risers myself.

F

FZSex

The up and back risers at twistedthrottle are a most excellent starting point! You can reuse the stock cover as well.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the up and backs and they are good.

Only 2 down points with them.

They are kin expensive for what they are and they do not totally match the yamaha colour.

I am a bit picky about my bike but I can live with the colour differnce.

Steve

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ordered the 30mm higher risers from M&P as I don't really like the look of the up and back risers. You can buy Renntec high bars from a few places in the UK that should help. Anyone have these?

If you change the bars and get risers you will probably need new brake lines as the stock ones just stretch with risers and don't really have much give in them. I'm not sure about the clutch/throttle cables. I think they have a bit more give in them but not much.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ordered the 30mm higher risers from M&P as I don't really like the look of the up and back risers. You can buy Renntec high bars from a few places in the UK that should help. Anyone have these?

If you change the bars and get risers you will probably need new brake lines as the stock ones just stretch with risers and don't really have much give in them. I'm not sure about the clutch/throttle cables. I think they have a bit more give in them but not much.

All my cables are fine but if the risers were slightly higher you would have trouble.

Steve

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
Hi Peeps my names Ray and I live in the u.k. (West Yorkshire) and I have just joined this forum..I have just got back into biking after some 30 odd years (am 57 now) . i have bought a blue Fazer 600 on an 05 plate and I cant get enought of it..the only problem i am having is with my back aching!!!! :(..As I am new to all this new stuff I was wondering if there is anything I could do to sort of higher the bars a bit or fit different bars so that I am not leaning quite so far forwards..any advice is appreciated.:Sport:

PS I am only a short a..e so maybe that has something to do with the aching!!!

Or should I just forget biking and buy a rocking chair and sit there till I die:surrender:

I had a feeling the regular bars are adjustable? They certainly are on the new XJ6 which is the XZ's sister bike. You can also get the seat modified so your bum sits lower.

Last edited:

Ray8751

Reaction score
Visit site
Thankx to all you guys who replyed...any more suggestions or links to dealers are more than welcome....brilliant forum very helpfull:Flash:

Ray

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Bikemaster GP Touring bars. Less reach to the bars, and only $18. Also replaced stock grips with ProGrip #714 gel grips.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ray are you flat footed when you stop?

If not you may want to get the Yamaha lowered seat for the FZ6.

It is miles better than the stock seat and you feel much more secure when you stop.
Steve

Ray8751

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Steve ..No not flat footed when I stop mate...(short arse!!!) going out tomorrow to a place where I have been told they lower seats so going to have a look and try to pick the guys brain to see what he thinks is best.I have got some risers ordered (£65 quid) they are £30mm forward and 30mm up so i think if I can get a lowered seat I might just sort this prob out once and for all....fingers crossed..Thanks again for you help m8;)

Ray

arv077

arfz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post your experiences AFTER you have gotten them and installed it?

I'm having the same issue - back ache after even a 30 min drive; i suspect its the seat, plus the handlebar positions. I'm looking into these 30 mm risers as well as one of my first mods!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site

I have this exact setup on mine for the exact reason you mention - back gets sore (for me, upper back between shoulders and slight below that). These helped, but didn't entirely solve the problem. Still gets achey after a few hours. I'm 6'1".

You won't need to do anything ambitious with the brake/clutch hoses. They are just long enough to accomodate 1" up and 1" back risers. You do need to clip the wire tire to get some slack while placing the bars, and then put a new wire tie back.