High side ??

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^yeah, NESBA is a great experience. The CRs are crazy good, knowledgeable, and extremely friendly.

I can't make the 22/23 as I'll be in Vegas but I'll keep them in mind for next year.

EDIT -- A couple more really good highside videos

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lKWG8Y7q4"]Save of the Century - Motorbike Crash - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSQAgmUamJ4&mode=related&search="]Savin a Tard! - YouTube[/ame]
________
group Cams

Last edited:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
what group do you run in with nesba? im guessing intermediate from what ive heard (you have to be damn fast to run in A group).... i hear they're really particular about who they bump up compared to others. which seems weird, besides the I-A group jump. most new riders are very slow and if they mix in people that are 5-8+ seconds faster it would be a pain.

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I know this is an old thread but it's been an interesting read.....

As for the rest of the debate, sounds like no matter how it happens, but if you get your rear tire stepping out uncontrollably and then OVERCORRECT the steering input, you end up with a high side.

That's the most concise thing I read through these 5 pages :)

Rear tires will spin up for a variaty or reasons but you should always be prepared for it. Period. Spin ups are controlable.

Rear tire braking IS used by high level riders whether it looks like it or not. Ever heard of trail braking? well it's not just the front brake.... introducing a little drag with the rear will help keep the bike settled down and distribute the suspension load - tires WILL drift, rear AND front. Dialed in suspension is key so you can read and react to the feedback you get from your tires. You load your front too much WHILE initiating a turn and the rear lightens and loosens. That's how supermoto racers "back it in" Should you ride to that extreme on the street? Not IMHO but to each his own.

Over extension.... over reaction.... all the ingredients of a highside.

Ah... what's this? No place on the street for this kind of riding. Controled and smooooth :)

153078394-M.jpg

Reaction score
Visit site
This is great information for a relatively inexperienced rider like myself. I now know what not to do. Don't get too hard on the throttle in a corner with too much lean and don't lock up the rear brake in a corner. What I want to know now is, supposing either one of those happen, how do you try to recover? I'm guessing that one would try to let up on the brake or throttle very slowly so that traction would be gradually regained?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha - I'm glad this thread came back to life...highsides suck!

Rear tires will spin up for a variaty or reasons

They only "spin up" on the gas; the lock on the brake. They step out for both reasons...maybe that's what you meant.

Rear tire braking IS used by high level riders whether it looks like it or not. Ever heard of trail braking? well it's not just the front brake.... introducing a little drag with the rear will help keep the bike settled down and distribute the suspension load - tires WILL drift, rear AND front.

The debate centering on the use of a rear brake in a turn has been with regard to sportbikes...not motards, dirt bikes, bicycles, or any other superlight 2-wheeled ride that can be easily tossed around. Those pilots clearly use the rear all the time.

Find me a picture or a video of someone on a sportbike using the rear brake while they're midcorner with their knee down (or almost down). I can see how this might be possible in a left-hander but in a right-hander the foot positioning doesn't seem possible at extreme lean angles. Pre-turn, ok, but if you're talking about trail-braking a sportbike, knee down with the rear brake in a right-hander, I need a picture or a direct quote.

I know there are some road racers (not stunters) who have mounted their rear brake lever on the clipons......hhhmmmm...

Please edjumicate me :thumbup:
________
INFANT PAXIL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
Years ago, I had a high side. I can tell you from experience it ain't worth repeating. It's always good to understand the physics of a motorcycle, but at the time, I didn't have time to pontificate on what's gonna happen next. Shoot, I didn't even have time to get out half an "oh sh**". It's that quick, boys 'n girls.

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site
They only "spin up" on the gas; the lock on the brake. They step out for both reasons...maybe that's what you meant.

Yep... my bad - I should have said loss of traction. You can also kick out under engine braking.

The debate centering on the use of a rear brake in a turn has been with regard to sportbikes.... Find me a picture or a video of someone on a sportbike using the rear brake while they're midcorner

What do you define as a corner? A simple corner is Entrance, Apex and Exit. Would you equate "midcorner" as the apex? or midway between turn in and apex? If you are still braking at apex then you are gonna have problems - simplest being you just lost your momentum and threw away your exit speed.
If you want examples of rear brake use "through" a corner which, in my interpretation, is during/after turn in and before the apex then watch some motogp races. In fact, there are some really good examples of "backing it in" sportbike style. You'll see some good examples from 0:30 to 1:30 - some more obvious than others. Commitment to turn, rear brake and/or engine braking being the loss of traction initiators. Please don't interpret use of rear brake as "locking up" your rear wheel.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDme_9lMQe4"]HERE[/[/nomedia]

Here is a scenario to consider: If you you find yourself overturning in a corner AND you aren't at the limit of your traction (which on the street shouldn't be hard to entertain as realistic situation) - what is the easiest way to correct the overcommitment of the turn? Rear brake is the easiest way to "stand up" your bike.

Ever had someone drop across your nose before the apex of a corner? His rear tire suddenly decides to occupy the space your front tire is currently in? what do you do? get taken out? I don't think so.... but what, exactly, is the correct thing to do? I spent the whole season in and out of this scenario.

Riding bikes on the street or track is not an exercise in black and white applications.... it's a "shades of gray" adventure :) There are too many factors that come into play.

I, personally, trail brake with front and rear(albet very rarely with the rear) while cornering on the track as needed for smoothness and maintaining my line. On the street, it's way different but it still comes into play for me.

I have yet to crash from braking while cornering. I HAVE highsided loosing control of a spin up getting on the gas exiting a corner.... kicking out to your steering locks and regaining traction makes for a bad day :) That sh#t hurts :(

Last edited: