High side ??

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
okay, buddy, calm down.

lol are you for real? Sounds like you're the one getting pissy :)

I just disagree that most people do it that way.

Right, so I supported my view and asked if you, or anyone else who cares to, can support their opposing view....including why anyone would get on the rear brake while leaned in a fast turn.

At least tell your buddy's story that you brought up.

:Sport:
________
How effective are portable vaporizers

Last edited:

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
lol are you for real? Sounds like you're the one getting pissy :)

Right, so I supported my view and asked if you, or anyone else who cares to, can support their opposing view....including why anyone would get on the rear brake while leaned in a fast turn.

At least tell your buddy's story that you brought up.

:Sport:

No.

Your beliefs and opinions on this particular matter really, really don't matter to me. You haven't produced any proof whatsoever that I can see. Neither have I. Stories etc mean nothing to me. Right now, this is about nothing but our opinions on what produces the most high-side crashes, and the only thing I know for certain is that I don't want to be in one.

For all intents, you may be right. You are definitely right in the fact that no rider should want to get on the rear brake in a fast turn.

However, I also don't want to start a stupid internet fight. The whole point of this forum is to learn from each other in a decent environment. So the next time you're around Carbondale, let me know, we'll ride together, and I'll buy you a beer or whatever. How bout that?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:

Your beliefs and opinions on this particular matter really, really don't matter to me.

Then why are you here? Your opinion/experiences matter to me because I like to know when I'm wrong about something.

You haven't produced any proof whatsoever that I can see. Neither have I. Stories etc mean nothing to me.

A search for "highside" on youtube --

from 1:35 on (really good street vid): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJ1SeC4iMw"]canyon highside - YouTube[/ame]

from 0:15 on: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KREIjnk6jTI&mode=related&search="]JenningsGP Highside Crash! - YouTube[/ame]

right away: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKsV6a278gE&mode=related&search="]BIKE SLIDE - YouTube[/ame]

about 0:25 in: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cV0J2qFnbE&mode=related&search="]TRACKDAY DONNINGTON PARK (HIGHSIDE) - YouTube[/ame]

two at a time: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3jid2tTk&mode=related&search="]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

A search for "highside" on wikipedia --

((they talk about braking just as much as throttle))

Highsider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For all intents, you may be right. You are definitely right in the fact that no rider should want to get on the rear brake in a fast turn.

A good discussion to have that might benefit some. It was not that long ago when I really didn't have a clear idea of what I should or shouldn't do upon finding myself in a turn too hot.

However, I also don't want to start a stupid internet fight.

Dude, first you're telling me to relax, now you're talking about fighting? lol

The whole point of this forum is to learn from each other in a decent environment. So the next time you're around Carbondale, let me know, we'll ride together, and I'll buy you a beer or whatever. How bout that?

Agreed....that's the only reason I'm posting here!

Sounds good to me; I'll buy the second round.
________
Washington Medical Marijuana

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Come on guys. We dont need to fight here.

I can find evidence for both of them.
So if they both cause the same thing, I.E. rear getting out of line with the front, then rapid return to in line, while shooting the rider into the sky, they are both high sides. From my reading they are usually caused by brakes. From other peoples reading and watching they are usually caused by throttle.

How about we boil it down like this.
You can cause a highside by getting the rear wheel out of line with the front by braking or accelerating, when it returns to inline with the front wheel.

Off topic. I would very much prefer to have lots of members that get along. I know that internet flame wars drive away new members.
If you disagree, please try to present it as your opinion, and then try to back it up with references.

Both of those ways can end up with you going over the top of the bike.
So nobody is wrong.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
sheesh if you guys call this fighting, id hate for you to see the flame fests on other boards. seems pretty civil to me.. good healthy discorse.

the only time i see a rear brake used is by REALLY good racers but generally you dont use the rear, if you do its before turn in and then is totally released. now when the rear steps out in a straight line its almost always slow and fairly predictable at least in my experiences. you'd have to let it go on a long time before it has enough angle to bite and buck.
but when the rear steps out from traction loss its fast...im real fast and sudden. you generally dont have time to realise what the hell just went on.

heres a vid of one of my close calls, go to 8:25...it feels WAY worse than it looks btw.
putnam park 8/5/07

Last edited:
S

sportrider

:banghead:Ahh the force is stong in the pair of you........
hahahaha I love it!!!:D

Hey Ped, that video is awesome!!! way to shake it off I don't think that even upset your pace:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks... i knew immediately why it happened so i didnt let it get to me plus we were already going about 4 seconds slower than usual at that point, which is a bit troubling to me in a way...it happened on an easy session/lap. my tires were greasy all day, and i was kinda expecting something to happen like that.

Last edited:
S

sportrider

you had that dude in front of you!!! totally reeling him in on the corners!!:thumbup: way cool.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
that was my brother (in the A* suit), he was having the same issues with traction as me, plus i promised id film him. hes actually about a second faster than me if he wants. (i thinks its all bike though) that trackday i used for getting my braking a little better and carrying speed through turn one...which is a big trick at that track cause you're supposed to be able to take it at 115-ish...which is scary. the other TD i did there i ground down my boots from letting them hang over the edge of the pegs (couldnt help it). this time i promised myself that id slow my corner speed down so i wouldnt ruin my new ones. funny thing is my fastest laps were over a second better this go.

Last edited:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
that was my brother (in the A* suit), he was having the same issues with traction as me, plus i promised id film him. hes actually about a second faster than me if he wants. (i thinks its all bike though) that trackday i used for getting my braking a little better and carrying speed through turn one...which is a big trick at that track cause you're supposed to be able to take it at 115-ish...which is scary. the other TD i did there i ground down my boots from letting them hang over the edge of the pegs (couldnt help it). this time i promised myself that id slow my corner speed down so i wouldnt ruin my new ones. funny thing is my fastest laps were over a second better this go.

Its more about how smooth you are and which line you choose, than pounding on the corners and being out of step with the track.

As for the rest of the debate, sounds like no matter how it happens, but if you get your rear tire stepping out uncontrollably and then OVERCORRECT the steering input, you end up with a high side. Wish I'd have thought of that back in my freshman year or high school:banghead: Broke my left arm and split my new helmet in a high side on my old dirt bike.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hahahaha I love it!!!:D

Hey Ped, that video is awesome!!! way to shake it off I don't think that even upset your pace:thumbup:
yep, definatley a brown trouser moment. Fair play for staying on it though. Have you made any radical changes to the spec of your bike? It looked great in the turns and appeared to lose ground on the straights.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
i put 20wt oil in the forks (for hot days) and some spacers to give 34mm of sag. also went down 1 tooth in the front. that r6 has 20hp on me. (109 at the wheel)

Last edited:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
Ped, when are you going to sign up with NESBA??? There is a track day at Putnam in mid October for $150. Is that an option for you? NESBA : Northeast Sports Bike Association
man you're not the only one telling me to go with them. i have some friends constantly telling me how awsome their CR's and everything else are. im going to jennings this winter with these same guys and i highly doubt ill have the money for anything else (im between jobs).

btw, if you're just wanting to go to putnam there is an event with a small org from cincy for a great deal. 230 for saturday and sunday or 130 for one day of your choice. plus im good friends with the CR's and they are great guys and willing to help (very fast too, think like 10 seconds faster than me). but i still dont think its a good idea for me to go to this one either as i really want to get my rear suspension taken care of... plus ill need tires at the least and im done with street rubber.
CYCLE OPTIONS TRACK DAYS at PUTNAM PARK

Last edited: