High Performance FZ-R6 (not FZ6R)

Is an "R" version of the FZ6 worth it? (FZ-R6)

• Yes, I'd like to see an FZ-R6 from Yamaha

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • No, I don't think it would be worth pursuing

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
After some discussion over the new Triumph Street Triple R, Wolfman and I came up with the idea of a high performance version of the naked FZ6 that would incorporate more of the R6 components much in the same way that the Street Triple R incorporates more of the Daytona 675 parts than the standard Street Triple. We decided that a poll was in order, perhaps even a petition to Yamaha pending the interest in the idea.

In short, would you be interested in an "R" version of the FZ6 that would have more of the goodies that the R6 gets? (Such as better brakes, fully adjustable suspension, more power)

Last edited:
Good work, that was quick!

Ok i will be the first to endorse this as i would love to see an FZR6 - a full naked, with top spec suspension, r6 motor, light weight wheels, high spec radial brakes, adjustable levers, rearsets, Sports exhaust.

Would of saved me a bit of coin!

:Flash:

YES!

p.s.

I need some concept drawings!!!

:needpics:

Feel free to submit any ideas that you have. For the most part, the bike would like much like the factory naked FZ6 that we know and love. That's the idea though, it would be a total sleeper! Aside from the paint job and a few minor visual tweeks, the Street Triple R looks just like a normal Street Triple.:thumbup:

I FULLY agree.

I would like to see the FZ6 with its current body work, I like the half fairing, however I would like an R6S suspension out of the box. That would have saved me about $1,200.00, granted the bike would have cost more up front but the net-net would have been less expensive.

I would also like the motor to be tuned to a higher state, not R6 peaky, but more like my current state of tune with my exhaust and PCIII, ie: more mid-range. That would have saved another $1,200.00.

Another feature I would have liked is ABS.

Finally I'd like to see the Canadian/Euro full fairing option available in the US, ala: SV650F.

The other stuff: clip-ons, Pazzos, windscreens are pretty much small items that are would change the charater to the FZ and not really add to it performance capability that much.

Perhaps in '09 we will see something like that? I doubt it.

I have a black naked 2008 FZ6N s2, for me, it has amazing 'street bike' looks, rivaling the Triumph...

The same bike, tricked out with R6 brakes, forks and shiny bits? Count me in! :D

Might as well just call it a R6N...

It will be one of those things that if it starts to catch on here in the states, then Yamaha might persue it. Other wise, prolly not.

US economy is tough right now, the only things that are really selling or the things that are able to save you money.

Hobbies and toys are being put on the back burner. If Yamaha could come up with such a thing and made a slogan that said, all the performance but with more comfort and gas miliage than an R6 and marked it to the daily commuter that likes a quick ride..(Sounds like the FZ though, doesnt it)

Maybe in 2010 or 11 we might see something but I wouldnt hold your breath. Its up to the economy and the european influence.

-bryan

Just found this

http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=10594

Looks Nasty!

Last edited:
I would love to see it, and i don;t really see why people are thinking it will be a r6n as the FZ and the R6 are nothing alike other than motor. keep the frame, keep the seat, keep the bars and comfort, just give it a kick up in the performance and suspension department.

Here is what should scare you... Yamaha just put out, arguably, a lower performance bike at the same price point as the FZ6. You should ask yourself why didn't they just push a fully faired FZ6 instead of offerring a new design? Yamaha positioned itself to capture the current crop of new non-cruiser riders by offering a cheaper sports bike.

With a sports bike at the same price point this puts the FZ6 into more of a touring mode then a sports/touring. My guess is if/when they redesign the FZ6 it is going to lose some of the sports appeal unless it goes significantly up in price, of course then it will be competting with a different segment of sports bikes making it even less attractive.

Now given that the FZ6R is out the FZ6 really needs a kick in performance and suspension department to distinguish itself.

I'd love to see a new FZ6 with better suspension. The brakes on the S2 are pretty much amazing, so that's ok. Adjustable levers would be great, as would some LED tails.

I think Mr Yamaha might be a little reluctant to take sales away from the R6. Then we also have to think about price points and servicing costs. The current FZ6 is incredible value for money in naked form compared to its rivals.

All I would like to see is more adjustable suspension. If I want more performance then it will be an FZ1.:bow:

I think Mr Yamaha might be a little reluctant to take sales away from the R6. Then we also have to think about price points and servicing costs. The current FZ6 is incredible value for money in naked form compared to its rivals.

All I would like to see is more adjustable suspension. If I want more performance then it will be an FZ1.:bow:

But wouldnt it be great to have the performance of the FZ1 in a lighter, more agile package?

As for those who think Mr Yamaha would be scared to take away sales from the R6...i think not...there are plenty of people out there ( the target R6 market - young and image conscious) who would not look twice at an upmarket FZ6 as it would not be considered a true"sportsbike".

An upgraded FZ-R6 would only have appeal to the thinking man.

Heavily upgraded FZ6's are a reflection of what a certain portion of the market place wants, but cant get from the factory!

^+1
This is exactly why we thought of the idea, Wolfman. Look at the members of this forum. We are all constantly modding our FZ's to make them better looking, sound better, handle better, and have better power (PC3). All I am saying is that if Yamaha offered a slightly sportier option package from the factory, I wouldn't be so interested in modding my bike with lesser developed aftermarket parts.:spank:

I sincerely doubt this type of bike would take sales from the R6 population as it would be much closer to the FZ6 market than the R6 market. It would still retain the original frame and basic geometry (tall risers, comfortable riding position, etc.). Frankly, I'm surprised how many of you wouldn't be interested in this, but I guess that is why I asked the question in the first place... curiousity.:thumbup:

I would love to see it, and i don;t really see why people are thinking it will be a r6n as the FZ and the R6 are nothing alike other than motor. keep the frame, keep the seat, keep the bars and comfort, just give it a kick up in the performance and suspension department.

Bingo...:cheer:

I would love to see an FZ6 with adjustable suspension and ABS. I can change the suspension parts out myself, but doing a junkyard ABS swap seems pretty unlikely.

Back