High beam bulb issue

mirank

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, Ive converted my fz6 2004 INTO A STREET FIGHTER, and bought a rectangular headlight with Low and High beam lights (bulbs inside are the same 55w 12v) i keep having a problem with the high beam bulb, it keeps burning after a few while.
This is the 3rd bulb im changing and i cant figure out why is this happening...
any help is welcomed...
How can i find out the problem, what can i do about it...
Thanks alot in advance

Sounds like that HB bulb might be burning BOTH FILIMENTS at the same time, depending on how its wired.

If you have three wires going to the HB bulb, simply disconnecting the LOW beam wire will solve your issue.

Putting a test light to the terminals (with the lights in the ON mode) will verify if this is the case.

** I'm assuming you have an H4 a AND an H7 bulb in the assembly, if not please update..

Last edited:
Actually its two separate bulbs in the housing, both with two wires each,
one black (i assume its ground) and one white,
so what i did is that the wires coming from the harness for the original headlights (black + dark green for low beam & Black + Yellow for high beam) connected separately to each bulb.
Therefore when the bike is on the low beam is on automatically, but when i turn the high beam then both are on....
makes sense?

Actually its two separate bulbs in the housing, both with two wires each,
one black (i assume its ground) and one white,
so what i did is that the wires coming from the harness for the original headlights (black + dark green for low beam & Black + Yellow for high beam) connected separately to each bulb.
Therefore when the bike is on the low beam is on automatically, but when i turn the high beam then both are on....
makes sense?

Yes it does, sounds to me like its wired correctly (stock, just in a single assembly ((with a single element HB bulb vs a dual element)).

It sounds fine to me but something is obviously wrong. I don't know if swapping the wires on the HB bulb would make a difference (just moving each spade terminal to the other side of the same bulb).

Added info: Seems, per the below post, I found at the PIAA website, that it does make a difference, the ground side of the bulb needs to be connected to the ground side of the harness (if it isn't already).

Cliff or FI will chime in.

Last edited:
From the PIAA website

( PIAA | FAQ's ) :

My bulbs keep failing; why does this keep happening?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulb failures caused by voltage surges have become more common as new vehicles have placed greater demands on factory electrical systems. The main lamp ground wire must be connected to the battery negative terminal or to a cable leading to it. If a voltage surge occurs, the bulb will look like it was struck by lightning! The metal base and glass will be burnt or the filament will blow up!
Check all connections. A loose connection can cause pre mature bulb failure. There are often power spikes on vehicle start up. Make sure your lights are off when starting your vehicle. You can test for these spikes by using a voltage tester at the light harness where it plugs into the lamp. Anything over 13.6 volts would be considered a spike.

OTHER CAUSES FOR SHORT BULB LIFE OR BLOWN FUSES:

•Check the wiring leading to the lamp. Look for wiring that has been cut, burnt, or worn through. Tape over or replace wiring.
•Check the plug-in connectors from the lamps to the wiring harness. If the connections are corroded, clean them, then fill the connectors with a dielectric (non-conductive) grease or electric terminal dressing to keep moisture out.
•Check inside the lamp. Make sure the rubber insulator over the positive white wire is completely covering the connection between it and the bulb pigtail (it "snaps" into place when fully seated).

Thank you guys for the help, i will check it today...
One more question, as i took the bulb out, it was all black (all three of them)
is it possible to solve this problem by changing both bulbs (which btw i found out are H3) to LED h3 bulbs?

Thank you guys for the help, i will check it today...
One more question, as i took the bulb out, it was all black (all three of them)
is it possible to solve this problem by changing both bulbs (which btw i found out are H3) to LED h3 bulbs?

Don't know about the LED's, BUT what's "it was all black (all three of them)" mean??

Three bulbs??

This is the 3rd time im changing the high beam bulb, and every time i take the bad ones out, its all black (burnt) and the coil inside broken.

Can I ask for a link to the lamps you are using as well as the socket/fixture?

I fear that if both filaments are 55w and you use both hi and low beams at the same time, perhaps you are drawing twice the current/power? You also are using a H3 lamp/socket with an H4/H7 system. I don't foresee any issues from this unless you are using a higher powered lamp. They do make 100w H3 lamps, maybe each filament is drawing 55w of power.

You could be damaging the lamps from under or over-driving them. You also could be damaging the harness from over-driving the lamps - if that were the case.

(Just spitting thoughts here)

If you have an ohm meter available, can you measure the resistance across the two lamp pins? It should read somewhere around an ohm for H7 lamps....H4 I would have to check.

Back