Hid??

Thank you so much, Reio! I definitely want to look into these. Are they not street legal on motorcycles? Also, in your Avatar, I'm assuming the bulb on the right is the HID bulb. Why did you decide on just one? Why not use it for the high beam as well?

P.S. - I thought your Avatar was your bike with a black eye : )

yeah the low beam (right of the avatar) is the HID light, i only did that one because we have 2 different bulbs and i would need 2 seperate kits to do both sides, (most cost effective way is to find someone else that wants to do the conversion, buy an H4 hi/low beam kit and an H7 low only kit, and then split the cost since it comes with 2 in each)

I will be doing the H4 Hi/low on the other side eventually but the low beam is so bright that i hardly need to use the high beam, so spending the money is hard to justify.

this was the H7 Kit that i got, I split it with a buddy of mine who had a GSXR 1000 and also had an H7 only Low beam:

surf.php
surf.php

Low beam only at the dark end of dusk:

surf.php
surf.php

Low and High beam 15 seconds later:

surf.php
surf.php

Lights out:

surf.php
surf.php

Full size of my avatar:

surf.php

surf.php

Last edited:
Reiobard,

Thanks again for all the information. I'm very interested in doing the mod. Only thing is, I would also like to have both headlights be Lo/Hi (H4). Do you know of anyone who has done the dual headlamp mod with the HID mod?

Is it even possible to modify an H4 HID bulb to fit into the H7 socket?

Reiobard,

Thanks again for all the information. I'm very interested in doing the mod. Only thing is, I would also like to have both headlights be Lo/Hi (H4). Do you know of anyone who has done the dual headlamp mod with the HID mod?

Is it even possible to modify an H4 HID bulb to fit into the H7 socket?

You stumbled onto one of my dilemma's I was thinking of getting a dual H4 Hi/Low kit and making the H4 fit. the link is below for the how to on that as well.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...cation-making-h4-bulb-fit-into-h7-socket.html

I've been studying that thread, actually : )

Is there any reason why you decided not to do this? Or are you not done with the modification?

I was wondering if the HID lamps are as physically modifyable as their incandescent brothers. I wouldn't want to assume that the HID H4 is the same construction and material (in only the socket - I understand the filament assembly is different) as the incandescent.

I did the dual HID setup on my FZ with the low H7 and bixenon H4. If you have the money for it, this is the way to go purely for the sake of symmetry. I didn't like the look of one headlight being HID and the other halogen (no offense Reio) and definitely didn't want to unhook my dual headlight mod. About a year ago, I setup a group buy through XenonDepot.com for phillips equiped products (one of the best in the business). If you decide to buy through them, just put "FZ6" in the comments section of the checkout for a 15% discount off the current price. Additionally, you want to remind them that the Left headlight is an H7 bulb, but has an H4 wire harness. This will ensure that your kit will truly be plug-and-play from the factory.:thumbup:

Alrighty : )

What're the final price tags on the bulbs?

Also, this gives you a low on both sides but only a hi on the right side right?

What if I wanted to have los and his on both sides?

Alrighty : )

What're the final price tags on the bulbs?

Also, this gives you a low on both sides but only a hi on the right side right?

What if I wanted to have los and his on both sides?

It gives you low both sides, only high on one side. In order to do both sides high and low, you'd have to convert the H7 side into H4 which is not that easy to do.

Quick Q for Reio... what color is your headlight? It looks a bit like 8000k but I can't be sure.

Coskie

It looks like either 6000k or 6500k. The 8000k would be more purple than that. Also, 8000k wouldn't make much usable light. The closer you get to 4300k, the more usable light you'll have. 6000-6500k is a decent compromise for the blue look with good light output.:thumbup:

Thanks, RSW!!

Any updates, ant? I'm anxious to know how it turned out on the honda!

Anytime bro, always happy to help out a fellow member here. I've acquired quite a bit of knowledge on HIDs if you have any questions in the future.

Well.. I'm really looking into this now! I want to do the H4 conversion on both sides! I see a Mod HowTo coming up : )

Anyway, onto the Q: I've seen both Bi-Xenon and Hi/Lo bulbs. My understanding was that the Bi-Xenon WAS a Hi/Lo bulb? What gives, RSW?

Well.. I'm really looking into this now! I want to do the H4 conversion on both sides! I see a Mod HowTo coming up : )

Anyway, onto the Q: I've seen both Bi-Xenon and Hi/Lo bulbs. My understanding was that the Bi-Xenon WAS a Hi/Lo bulb? What gives, RSW?

The names are fairly synonomous. Bi-Xenon is usually a term used to describe HID's bulb that do both high/low function. High/Low bulbs are typically halogen H4 bulbs. Realistically, the terms should be able to be used interchangeably though.

Quick Q for Reio... what color is your headlight? It looks a bit like 8000k but I can't be sure.

Coskie

Yes my bulb is the 8000K variety, i could probably be happy with 6000K, but i like the blue thing with my blue bike...

Yes my bulb is the 8000K variety, i could probably be happy with 6000K, but i like the blue thing with my blue bike...

Interesting, the picture makes it look lighter than an 8000k bulb. Is it darker or more purple in person?

I have an HID kit 6000k on its way. It will be my first mod to enhance night riding and possibly day time visibility to other traffics. Wish me luck and i'll follow up with update and pics.

Interesting, the picture makes it look lighter than an 8000k bulb. Is it darker or more purple in person?

nope, the 8000 only really has a hint of blue in it, the dark blues and purples are 10,000 and 12,000. 4300 is actually (IMO) a slight yellow tint and the 6000 range looks just white, i am very please with the 8000K's light output as well.

FYI: Subaru (STI), Saab, and BMW both use 8000K Bulbs in their stock HID options.

I have an HID kit 6000k on its way. It will be my first mod to enhance night riding and possibly day time visibility to other traffics. Wish me luck and i'll follow up with update and pics.

Are you doing the H4 mod as well? Or are you just putting in the stock H4/H7bulb combination?

Back