HID with bd43 dual headlight mod

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried to search unsuccessfully, but does anyone know if you can use HIDs with the bd43 dual headlight setup? If so, do I need a specific type of bulb to be able to accommodate both high and low beams? I have ballasts from the previous owner but not sure if those would be bulb specific or not.

Thanks!

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I knew this answer as well. I'll be doing a naked conversion shortly, going to HID bulb with a CCFL halo. Have the ballasts coming and all that. Not quite sure how I should wire it and I also have the BD43 mod done.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried to search unsuccessfully, but does anyone know if you can use HIDs with the bd43 dual headlight setup? If so, do I need a specific type of bulb to be able to accommodate both high and low beams? I have ballasts from the previous owner but not sure if those would be bulb specific or not.

Thanks!

You are going to want Bi-xenon lamps. This type has a shutter inside that is raised when you flip on your High-Beams. There is a great write up on Sportbikes.net of a piecemeal setup. You can find it here: Ultimate FZ6 Projector headlamp retrofit! - Sportbikes.net.

Retrofit also sells a kit now: Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc.

Hope this information is useful to you, but I recommend lots of searching and reading before any actual ordering or work is done.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the links, I'll definitely be reading through those. But they both are retrofits, ideally I'd like to keep my current setup (bulbs and ballasts) and use the bd43 with those.

I may do a full retrofit in the future (to incorporate a CCFL Halo), but for now I'm content with just the HID bulbs/ballasts.

JasonB

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked into this a while ago, there are a couple of things that put me off.

The startup current required for a dual HID setup may be approaching the limit of the electrical system on the FZ6. Depending on the ballast used, the initial startup current could be anywhere from 80watts to 100watts per HID bulb. This reduces to around 30-40watts once the bulb has warmed up. If you add in heated gloves/jacket, accessories, gps it all adds up.

Using a bi-xenon bulb would probably be the best route as you can switch from low to high beam with no delay.

Another option though may be to put a single HID in the low beam side and a normal halogen in the low/high beam side.

I've done the dual headlight mod on my bike and at the moment I'm just running the standard halogens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked into this a while ago, there are a couple of things that put me off.

The startup current required for a dual HID setup may be approaching the limit of the electrical system on the FZ6. Depending on the ballast used, the initial startup current could be anywhere from 80watts to 100watts per HID bulb. This reduces to around 30-40watts once the bulb has warmed up. If you add in heated gloves/jacket, accessories, gps it all adds up.

Using a bi-xenon bulb would probably be the best route as you can switch from low to high beam with no delay.

Another option though may be to put a single HID in the low beam side and a normal halogen in the low/high beam side.

I've done the dual headlight mod on my bike and at the moment I'm just running the standard halogens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be assured those startup wattage ratings are only momentary and the system will handle them with out a problem. I bet the startup is less than 2 seconds.

If you have the BD43 or Motogiro headlamp mods you would still hook the HID system up as you would any bike with a high and lo beam H4 setup. You should have a fused 12volt wire to the battery and you will use your right side 3 wire headlamp for Mode of operation.

megatronixs

Reaction score
Visit site
I run a single H7 5k hid bulb for my low beam side and have a normal H4 with the bd43 mod so it runs a low beam also, I would like to have a H4 hid bi-xenon hid bulb but I can't find just the bulb on eBay so this is what I run and it runs sweet! :D

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fzrblack what can you get the kits for? Just wondering. I'm a few months away from upgrading but still interested.

Mud

Sorry I missed your post Mud. I can sell them for $260, which is $10 off the Retrofit Source price. I will also upgrade to a full size shroud for free. I can drop ship the kit to you, so no need to worry about extra down time. I will cover shipping costs (If there are any). I will PM you this information too.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the links, I'll definitely be reading through those. But they both are retrofits, ideally I'd like to keep my current setup (bulbs and ballasts) and use the bd43 with those.

I may do a full retrofit in the future (to incorporate a CCFL Halo), but for now I'm content with just the HID bulbs/ballasts.

You don't need the bd43 mod if you use the retrofit from TRS as they use the left side to control on/off and the right side to control high beam/low beam. Check out this thread for help http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/14963-bi-xenon-projector-angel-eye-installed.html

biofractral

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys...

Good Day!

As you guys know the 2005 Yamaha FZ6 does NOT come with projectors inside the headlight housing, or as I call them Fish eye projetors like the R1/R6. ...

MY Question is: Could I just install the HID bulds(with blasts of course) as a replacement of the standard halogen? Would it produce a good light or the light will scatter all over the place? All I want is to avoid the pain of opening the head lights by removing the clear lens to place inside the projectors (fish eye type)

THANK YOU!

Bassieh

Dark Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
You COULD install the HID bulbs in your normal housing and make use of the standard reflector. Light output will be better but also more scattered as with standard halogen bulbs. Chances are that you'll be blinding oncoming traffic that way. Best option is to do a retrofit which is installing the fish eyes (HID projectors).