HID (high intensity discharge) anyone?

Tim77

FZ6 in Connecticut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but I have searched and to my surprise found nothing. I would like to do an HID (high intensity discharge) mod on my FZ6. I was wondering if anyone else has already done this and where/what brand they used. It seems there is so much to chose from out there. Hoping to hear some good reviews.

For those that don't know what this mod is about, it's a simple plug in mod that changes the halogen bulbs to HID bulbs and adding ballasts.

Anyone have any info on this?

EDIT: Google led me to this... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-news/3107-hid-motorcycle-light-conversion.html

Still looking for reviews and suggestions

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Without changing over to projectors, or a HID designed reflector its really a bad idea, especially on that half foggy, misty rainy night you get stuck out 60 miles from home.

If you change over to projector or another reflector designed for HID then you would have a rocking good lighting system. Blue looks cool, but it doesnt go as far as the more white or yellow white.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently the R6 projector mod with HID's is a killer(and expensive) mod, that gives you a lot of light. Plus it looks badass.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is one of the most debated topics on here, those of us who have done the HID conversion love it, the ones who haven't think it is a terrible idea...

I am a hybrid, I did the HID conversion on my low beam and kept the high beam the stock Halogen and love the results. I get the brighter more directed light of the HID and also the greater refraction from the Halogen.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
this is one of the most debated topics on here, those of us who have done the HID conversion love it, the ones who haven't think it is a terrible idea...

I am a hybrid, I did the HID conversion on my low beam and kept the high beam the stock Halogen and love the results. I get the brighter more directed light of the HID and also the greater refraction from the Halogen.

Is that why your bike in your avatar pic has heterochromia?

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done both to HID. LOVE IT. No problems seeing in rain/mist. Way better light and makes bike look better too. I bought Euroeffects they came with the really slim ballasts and have a lifetime warranty.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all: As someone before me allready mentioned, you should get some projectors or reflectors especially designed for xenon lighting. The latter also requires different bulbs from those used in projectors. Cars with reflector headlights utilize D2R bulbs instead of D2S. D2R's have a small shield in them that blocks the light right in front, as to reduce glare. This isn't necessary with projectors, hence the different bulbs (that's also why cars with factory projectors and xenon often have a higher light output than those with reflectors).

Second: HID's require an enormous amount of voltage to ignite. We're talking 25.000 Volts to ignite the spark which in turn creates plasma gas inside the bulb. Anyone that have experimented with car electronics will know how important it is with relays, which I didn't know the first time I installed a xenon conversion kit on my previous Audi A3... Thing is: Electric currents will always try to find the path with less resistance. Unless you have a relay installed, you will never be assured that the electric current is travelling directry from your battery. It might go through - let's say- your instrument panel. Which is a bad thing.

In other words: buy yourself a relay if you're thinking of doing the conversion;)

Tim77

FZ6 in Connecticut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their valuable info... I think I might try the conversion on just the low (or high) beam utiliting a relay for the ballast. At least if I don't like the results I can easily go back to stock without any troubles.

I have seen one of the projector mods and that looks a bit complicated for my tastes. I am not all that dissatisfied with the stock headlights. I am really looking to be more visible in the daylight hours. (I never turn my high beam off).

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their valuable info... I think I might try the conversion on just the low (or high) beam utiliting a relay for the ballast. At least if I don't like the results I can easily go back to stock without any troubles.

I have seen one of the projector mods and that looks a bit complicated for my tastes. I am not all that dissatisfied with the stock headlights. I am really looking to be more visible in the daylight hours. (I never turn my high beam off).

If you do just one light i would suggest either doing a Bi-Xenon on the high beam (Best option IMO) or just the low beam, that way the light isn't constantly having to turn on and off, which is not the best for HID type bulbs.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do just one light i would suggest either doing a Bi-Xenon on the high beam (Best option IMO) or just the low beam, that way the light isn't constantly having to turn on and off, which is not the best for HID type bulbs.

As far as I know, turning xenon bulbs on and off, isn't that much of a deal at all. Remember, they utilize an electric arch that ignites the gas inside the bulb. Percentage wise, the life expectancy of a halogen bulb is shortened way more than what's the case with a xenon bulb that is switched on and off the same number of times. That's also why BMW's (and probably other car makes as well) of recent dates have bi-xenons in one projector and an additional xenon bulb in the high beam reflector separately.

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a H7 aftermarket kit for the left side (which is Low only), got it installed professionally. Also did the dual-bulb mod, so my right side is Halogen high/low so one can still flash slow-moving people :D

Anyone who has used HID knows that once you do it, you don't go back.

IMO the stock lights don't give enough lighting, especially on unlit roads or if you're banked.

My kit initially blinded everyone all around as yes, there's nothing stopping the light from moving forward out of the HID bulb instead of backwards into the reflector. Took some measurements and built a guard out of some pop can aluminum. Not too difficult if you're mechanically inclined. Problem solved.

IMHO the HID conversion was and is the single best mod for this bike.