Help with 2004 fz6.

Tylercriss502

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, new to this site. Anyways i bought a used 2004 fz6 got a good deal on it or so i thought. But the kill switch has been ripped out and wires twisted together. The guy lost the keys to it and tried to hot wire it and later found the keys. Anyways i can not get the bike to turn over with the start switch i can jump the solenoid and it will turn over but no spark to the plugs? It does not have a gauge cluster on it. What could the problem be as to not getting any spark? Noobie to fuel injection also when i turn the key on i can hear the fuel pump prime or whatever.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure where to begin on this one, but if the main switch harness was hacked I'd be starting there. One main lead hot from the battery goes in and three come out when the key is on. Verify the repair of those wires, Verify the fuses under the right pod all have power when key is on. And just because they have power that doesn't mean they have the current needed to operate the system. What tools do you have? Do you have test lamp and a DMM able to read volts?

Spark on these is not instant with a turn of the crank, it takes at least a full revolution if not 1.5 or 2 before the ECU delivers a spark. You might get on fleebay and find a new RS controller.

In short both the coils and injectors operate by having battery power when key is on and the ECU takes the path to ground to create a spark or open the injector. The kill switch is a known failure mode on these and if the circuit is open, it will disable +12V from the battery to the coils. It must be shorted to function.

Do a search from outside the forum for FSM and grab a manual. It has the schematic in it. Like this - I say this as this sites search engine will accept 3 letter searches.
google site:600riders.com FSM JJD952 manual
and you'll find a link to a pdf manual to download.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the above, as the right side kill / crank switch was "damaged", I would look inside there first.

He could have very well pulled out some other wires.

Note, if he tied the two wires for the RED kill switch, he by passed that-not an issue but obviously won't work-gone anyway)

And lift the tank, pull the inner fairings(black), side pods and look for ANY OTHER ELECTRICAL HACK JOBs. There's
very likely more...

Re the cluster GONE, was that ripped out as well, disconnected, where/what did he do with it?? Stolen /recovered or ?

PM sent

Last edited:

Tylercriss502

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the quick replys. the ignition harness was hacked and wire nut were used with bare wire showing i have put male to female connectors in their place and cleaned up that cluster f***. also the guy said the bike ran fine before he hacked the ignition harness. ive seen the bike run so i know hes not lying there. i should have all tools to get the job done familiar with older carburated jap bikes. and i will most deffinately be getting a service manual.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's one cluster for the S1 (04-06) and another for the S2(07-09).

Some here have updated their earlier clusters with the newer but its NOT a plug and play.

Look beyond my GPS, that's an 07 (or S2) cluster:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As with any FZ6 that has had the ignition switch wires hacked you may have a bad "Starting circuit cut-off relay" assembly. These assemblies are very easy to damage when trying to connect the ignition switch wires. One wrong input for a nano second and this assembly is toast.
First you want to establish that the safety protocols have been met. The 3 safeties that that relay assembly need input from are the side stand switch, neutral safety switch and the clutch lever switch. If you put the bike in neutral, put the side stand up and pull in the clutch lever, the safety protocols should be met and the bike should start. If the bike does not start this way, there is a good possibility the, "Starting circuit cut-off relay" assembly may be damaged.

It would be nice to have the instrument readout to see any error codes that may reveal any additional information that might be related to the bike not starting.

Oh yeah! :welcome: to this great forum!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding to my above post the "Starting circuit cut-off relay" assembly is not the starter relay. This is a separate assembly that incorporates diodes and 2 relays as a safety device that reads the 3 switches, clutch, neutral and side stand switches and will not allow spark/fuel injection operation through the ECU if any of the safety combinations have been violated. Example: If the bike is not in neutral, and the side stand is put down, the engine is shut off or not allowed to start.
You'll want to test the 3 switches for continuity to confirm they are giving the proper input to the "Starting circuit cut-off relay" assembly.

Also as a precaution have you registered the bike through DMV? This might protect you from a problem because many times an ignition switch problem is related stolen vehicle. We had a attempted stolen FZ6 the the "Starting circuit cut-off relay" protected when the ignition harness was compromised. The wrong hookup blew the diodes and the bike would not start. These bikes are not for old school crooks LOL!

Last edited:

Tylercriss502

Reaction score
Visit site
I got rhe fz6 running. Thanks to all the people that suggested the starting circut cut off relay. I replaced it and it fired right up. But i unhooked the battery before i plugeed the relay in anyways my arm was grounded out on the forks and it was shocking me. Is there a commom short on these bikes? Or do i just need to take my test light light and volt meter and track it out? Thanks in advance!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got rhe fz6 running. Thanks to all the people that suggested the starting circut cut off relay. I replaced it and it fired right up. But i unhooked the battery before i plugeed the relay in anyways my arm was grounded out on the forks and it was shocking me. Is there a commom short on these bikes? Or do i just need to take my test light light and volt meter and track it out? Thanks in advance!

You may have been experiencing some inductive kick back. I usually don't touch anything else when detaching the battery. The bike is probably fine. Glad you got it started! :)