Help wanted - Changing Both Tires

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. Yes, I used the search function, so "Search First" nazis please take a deep breath and back away from the keys for a moment... there does not appear to be a good, comprehensive how-to thread *that I could find through careful search* on beginning-to-end tire changes for both wheels. I found snippets, and some pictures of home-made bead breakers, but not a good walk through from people who've done it. That may be because it's so mindlessly easy that no thread is really needed, but Id like to hear that from those who've done it, if that's the case.

I've got my bike stored with a co-worker / friend. It's time to take it out. First, I must get myself to his house and change the tires, using his help and tools, but he only knows old ducati's. He was sure I'd have to un-do my chain, for example, because he does, so I have vowed to come prepared. Also, I have a 6 month old baby at home, and the weekends are when I relieve my wife of Baby Duty as much as possible, so I will need to be in and out of there like the wind. The deal goes down Sunday morning. I have the stock tool kit, a breaker bar and socket for the rear axle (easier than the shorty in the kit), and the tools my buddy's got. He has tire irons, a balancer, and lead weights.

I am looking for your tips, your experiences, and man-oh-man would some quick photos be awesome as well. I love all of you.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
The service manual (which you can d/l from the site, somewhere) is actually pretty comprehensive. Take a look at it.

You won't need to do the a lot of the steps too, like replacing the wheel bearings, etc. Be sure to buy/borrow a wheel balancer so you can add those weights to the wheel off the bike.

While you got everything stripped down, you should regrease/repack your rear shock bearing. Some people also redo their swingarm pivot bearings.

There really aren't any gotchas.
Well, except for this:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/24961-front-wheel-install-help.html :D

Last edited:

dad24hungrykids

Reaction score
Visit site
the last time I changed tires on a bike took me about 4 hours. I did the brake pads too and I had my 10 year old helping me. He was actually pretty handy when I needed someone to stand on the tire to hold the bead down when I was putting them back on..:D

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I were doing the pads too but I have to get out as soon as I possibly can. And the chain, and both sprockets...

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
So how long does it take people to do both wheels, roughly? An hour? Two?

The first time I did it took a while. Like 2 days. I didn't spend all day/48 hours.
Give yourself some time. You will learn a lot and it's worth it.
I didn't mount the tire on myself. A buddy of mine did it for some Starbucks coffee. He did a great job. I took the wheels on and off.

Having a friend to help you is a good idea. Plus, we're here to bail you out. So have a digital camera handy!!!:D

Since you're doing it yourself and not going to the dealer, you can give your bike some extra TLC. Regrease what's needed (the service manual will tell you) with some high water grease that is resistant to wash out. The Yamaha factory grease sucks.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm actually less nervous about the phase of the operation where the wheels are off... that part I can find lots of good info on, either via youtube, here, or from the guy whose house I'll be at. It's more the tire-removing parts, specific to the FZ6, that spook me a little. Well, not "spook," but "cause me to want to research to make sure I don't fail at this."

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Just be careful to not tweak the brake calipers when removing/installing the wheels... check the pads for signs of bad wear or corrosion while you're at it.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a 19mm hex socket to fit your torque wrench?
You need that for the front axle.
If not you're going to be scrambling to find one online or at a dealership.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a 19mm hex socket to fit your torque wrench?
You need that for the front axle.
If not you're going to be scrambling to find one online or at a dealership.

Doesn't the stock tool kit come with the hex wrench for the front axle?

edit: Or do you mean for the "pinch" bolt that clamps it in?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Just be careful to not tweak the brake calipers when removing/installing the wheels... check the pads for signs of bad wear or corrosion while you're at it.

I learned this the hard way on the old vulcan 500. I think I touched the brake lever really lightly by accident when I had the caliper off, and it was a bizotch getting those pads apart so I could re-mount it. I shall be incredibly careful to align the rotor properly when removing / re-mounting the wheel.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the stock tool kit come with the hex wrench for the front axle?

edit: Or do you mean for the "pinch" bolt that clamps it in?

The axle bolt needs a 19mm hex. It also needs to be torqued to specs so don't get a cheap one that doesn't fit on a wrench!!
I mean the thing labeled "axle bolt"
FZ1frtwheel215d.jpg

Also, for the "pinch bolt" use some loctite. Some members of this forum have experienced it falling out. :eek:

This link is helpful:
http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1frontwheel.htm

Get something like this:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_15-8397_G

Don't use the method where you use the spark plug socket. I mean it could work, but if it breaks in the axle it may be hard to get out. Or if you don't torque that axle as tight as it should be, you may be in a world of sh*t further down the road.

Last edited:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
That angelfire page is very, very helpful. Thanks so much for the link! Checking to see if Bud has the tools I'm missing.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Yuh-oh. If I can't find a 19mm hex socket for the front axle, I may be hosed. Anyone in Boston got one laying around?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Most spark plug 'deep' sockets have a hex head built into the rachet end of the socket.....

If you use a short extension bar and stick that in from the side the spark plug would normally go in, you now have a 19mm allen/socket.

jakury

Reaction score
Visit site
good luck, I just did mine a few weeks ago, the on off the bike is the easy part. I did mine alone, with help would be better.
i used homemade tire irons and bead breaker. getting the new tires on was the hardest part. Keep new tire bead centered in rim vally as much as possible while puting tire on rim, this is very hard to do.
hope these pics work

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

Last edited: