Help! Throttle Sticking.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a throttle sticking issue.

Basically if I put a lot of slack into the throttle cable it doesn't stick at all, but when I adjust the slack out of the cable it sticks.

What's the best way to have a throttle without slack, but also that doesn't stick?

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lube the cables first, clean the handle bar / throttle tube too.

Make sure your grips are NOT dragging on the bar end or the inner assembly.

In full lock, the cable will usually get tighter. Make sure its NOT binding or too tight in that position.

I keep my cables as taught as possible W/O binding and just a slight bit of play in the "return" cable.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because without a slight amount of slack, its like a guitar wire, its binding as you've found.

Each wire pulls and doesn't push.

You should be able to adjust most the "PULL cable" tight but keep the return slightly loose and not have any issues.

That's how I have mine set up.. Much tighter than factory spec's, just shy of opening the throttle at full steering lock..

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I was able to get it to stop sticking. I rerouted the cables and that seemed to help.

However, the throttle still snaps back a bit slower than my brand new Grom. I'm an idiot and forgot to lube the cables while I was swapping them over so.... now I'm going to try and lube them up really good along with the throttle assembly like you suggested.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I was able to get it to stop sticking. I rerouted the cables and that seemed to help.

However, the throttle still snaps back a bit slower than my brand new Grom. I'm an idiot and forgot to lube the cables while I was swapping them over so.... now I'm going to try and lube them up really good along with the throttle assembly like you suggested.

The throttle assembly made a huge difference for me. I popped it off and found a whole whack of rust underneath. Cleaned it with some sand paper and steel wool, then applied waterproof grease fairly liberally and threw everything back together. Gorilla grip - gone!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I'll have to examine it when I pull it off. Thank god it's winter!

It's amazing the little things that need maintenance on motorcycle that I probably wouldn't give a second thought to if it was a car.