Help, newbie with PCIII

nanner6282

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought my bike with the powercommander already installed but did not get the instructions or program from the guy. i don't know how to read the maps, do i need to buy the instructional dvd or can someone help me figure out what i'm doing.
i bought a cable to download to my pc, but haven't done that yet.
can anyone enlighten me on how to read the maps. i have leo vince pipes and would like a happy medium between power and mpg. ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my advice is to forget all that. Find a reputable tuner with s dyno in your area, pay them to tune it, tell them what you want out of your tune, and I bet you will be super happy with the results. Will cost you a few extra dollars, but will help you stuffing around.

:thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
You can download the software from dynojet's website, then just hook the cable(standard usb a to usb mini b if you have the USB version) to the PCIII, start the bike and you can view the current map, mess with it, or upload a new map.

You can also download maps from dynojet's website, I believe there's one for the leo vince pipes.

Of course the BEST thing would be a custom dyno tune, if you're okay with paying someone a few hundred dollars to rev the hell out of your engine for a couple days.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
, if you're okay with paying someone a few hundred dollars to rev the hell out of your engine for a couple days.

What's different between that and what I do to it everyday anyway.....? :D

But like everyone else said, go to the dyno. Base maps will get you there (if you don't have a truck or trailer) but the true dyno tune is the right way to go.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
What's different between that and what I do to it everyday anyway.....? :D

But like everyone else said, go to the dyno. Base maps will get you there (if you don't have a truck or trailer) but the true dyno tune is the right way to go.

I wouldnt go that far...

Dyno tunning is a great way to get some high numbers, but really a street tune is a good way to get a more driveable/rideable power set up. It can be difficult to similute a correct load in the drum on a dyno. So some people prefer to street tune the car to set the car up for the most practical and usefull power set up.

Not trying to harp on you there, but street tunes are nice as well.

-bryan

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldnt go that far...

Dyno tunning is a great way to get some high numbers, but really a street tune is a good way to get a more driveable/rideable power set up. It can be difficult to similute a correct load in the drum on a dyno. So some people prefer to street tune the car to set the car up for the most practical and usefull power set up.

Not trying to harp on you there, but street tunes are nice as well.

-bryan

Well I guess that would make sense but would you actually be able to look at all of the parameters on a street vs. dyno tune? Maybe a datalogger or something? It just seems that a dyno would be a little more precise. Well I guess in the end what I really mean is have some one who knows what they are doing do it versus someone who really doesn't. Thanks Bryan

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcwBojel44"]YouTube - How to Pimp Motorcycles : Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module Installation Tips[/ame]

Here is a link that you could watch if you wanted to know how to manipulate your PCIII rather than take it to a dyno guy. I'm not experienced and won't give a half a55ed opinion of what you should or shouldn't do but this is a great video for the basic operation of a power commander.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the 04 to 06 bike the maps that you can download are a good place to start.

In a nutshell, they are too rich for most of the map. There are several reasons for this but bottomline the air to fuel ratio isn't the best measure to use and on a motorcycle as it fails more (I love creative grammer). :rolleyes: Anywho the exhaust probe can't go deep enough into most MC mufflers, as a result with each power pulse clean air is pulled back into the muffler. This in turn fools the probe into thinking the bike it too lean and recommends richening the A/F.

A better tool to use is a 4 GAS EGA sensor and an Eddy Current Dyno instead of an inertia dyno; eg Dyno Jet. The reason is with the Eddy Current you can hold the bike at a given RPM and a given resistance (throttle position) and analyze that specific area.

And I didn't make any of this up, I'm too dumb. The guy who tuned my bike and many WSBs told me.

Here's the guys who tuned my bike. They've got lots of good reading.

AF1 Racing - Aprilia Sales, Parts, Service, Racing, and Dyno Tuning - New Braunfels, TX - Call 877.626.3966

AF1 Racing - Aprilia Sales, Parts, Service, Racing, and Dyno Tuning - New Braunfels, TX - Call 877.626.3966

Here's the web site for Factory Pro, they make the Eddy Current Dynos. Lots of excellent reading there. Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products

You can also find a shop near you that has an Eddy Current dyno. Two shops in WI, Flying Eagle Cycles in Campbellsport (920) 533-5595, and Vesrah Racing (262) 878-5930.

While both methods, DynoJet and Eddy Current, may result in the about the same amount of total hp, the Eddy Current will usually give a smoother throttle response.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
For the 04 to 06 bike the maps that you can download are a good place to start.

In a nutshell, they are too rich for most of the map. There are several reasons for this but bottomline the air to fuel ratio isn't the best measure to use and on a motorcycle as it fails more (I love creative grammer). :rolleyes: Anywho the exhaust probe can't go deep enough into most MC mufflers, as a result with each power pulse clean air is pulled back into the muffler. This in turn fools the probe into thinking the bike it too lean and recommends richening the A/F.

A better tool to use is a 4 GAS EGA sensor and an Eddy Current Dyno instead of an inertia dyno; eg Dyno Jet. The reason is with the Eddy Current you can hold the bike at a given RPM and a given resistance (throttle position) and analyze that specific area.

And I didn't make any of this up, I'm too dumb. The guy who tuned my bike and many WSBs told me.

Here's the guys who tuned my bike. They've got lots of good reading.

Here's the web site for Factory Pro, they make the Eddy Current Dynos. Lots of excellent reading there. Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products

You can also find a shop near you that has an Eddy Current dyno. Two shops in WI, Flying Eagle Cycles in Campbellsport (920) 533-5595, and Vesrah Racing (262) 878-5930.

While both methods, DynoJet and Eddy Current, may result in the about the same amount of total hp, the Eddy Current will usually give a smoother throttle response.

Yes, Eddy Currents as wicked. However there areny many shops around that have them. Those that do, well they charge a pretty penny for usuage. Well they kinda have to, I suppose..

Back to the previous comments about the logger. Yes, there are programs and certain controlers that allow logging. Does the PC III do logging, I do not know. However, as with any application, your logging will along be as good as your measurements. IE, more sensors, higher res., higher accuracy, more money, better results...

Now the ECU on the new KXF 450 that is FI allows for data logging from the factory, just need the software and a cable to get that ball rolling. They have adjusments on there to select sampling rate for longer and shorter log periods. I have been reading through the instruction manual on that set up and Kawi seems to have come through on their set up. 6 to 7 years behind the Cannondales, but at least they did it. Honda also has the FI 450, but I do not know anything about their specs.

-bryan

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
I have been reading through the instruction manual on that set up and Kawi seems to have come through on their set up. 6 to 7 years behind the Cannondales, but at least they did it. Honda also has the FI 450, but I do not know anything about their specs.

-bryan

More like 10...

Not sure about Honda's software but I do know it has a map select switch (10 years late too) as does the other late comer to the party, the '09 R1.

Bruce

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get it good enough reading by using a wideband at the collector and road tune. A guy around here famous for tuning high hp supras/eclipses does that to smooth out what the dyno couldnt.

nanner6282

Reaction score
Visit site
wow...i didn't think i'd get all these great feedbacks. so pretty much what i've gathered is that since i don't know what i'm doing, i might just end up going to get it dyno tuned or at least talk to someone at a shop.

thanks everyone for your feedback. everyone rocks. i'm so glad there is such a great site with knowledgable people who are really into bikes. :rockon:

Hope everyone has a happy holiday and a happy new years. cheers!!