Help Needed - Clutch Cable Install

Love my Fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so I successfully routed my clutch cable on the side of the airbox as talked about in a previous forum. My problem is hat there is too much play in the cable for my lever to snap back after engagement. I tried adjusting the black lock nut on the side of the airbox but that did nothing. Has anyone else had this problem before?

OK so I successfully routed my clutch cable on the side of the airbox as talked about in a previous forum. My problem is hat there is too much play in the cable for my lever to snap back after engagement. I tried adjusting the black lock nut on the side of the airbox but that did nothing. Has anyone else had this problem before?
post some pictures if you can as the visual will help us to see your problem in its entirety.
The adjustment at the crank case usually allows a good bit of adjustment. Is the cable fouled anywhere?

Neil

:welcome:to the best forum on the WWW!:BLAA:

I think your talking about where the 2 cable sheaths meet between the frame and the airbox. The threaded intersecting sleeve must be adjusted so there is more space between the two cable sheaths. This should take up extra cable at both ends of the cable. Make sure the thumb screw at the clutch lever is adjusted all the way in first then adjust the center thread. You may have to loosen the ends of the cable so they are loose. I'll assume this is a new clutch cable. :)

Did you tighten down the shiny metal bracket by the clutch? That bracket is what gives you the correct spacing for the cable.

Last time I replaced mine, I just finger tightened it and forgot about it. Couldn't figure out why there was so much free play either.

:welcome:to the best forum on the WWW!:BLAA:

I think your talking about where the 2 cable sheaths meet between the frame and the airbox. The threaded intersecting sleeve must be adjusted so there is more space between the two cable sheaths. This should take up extra cable at both ends of the cable. Make sure the thumb screw at the clutch lever is adjusted all the way in first then adjust the center thread. You may have to loosen the ends of the cable so they are loose. I'll assume this is a new clutch cable. :)

To elaborate on your original post and what Cliff above mentions, just turning the lock nut won't do anything...

Un-lock the lock nut, adjust the mid cable adjuster (as Cliff mentions) making it expand outward(the two long "nuts"-8 mm wrench I believe), that will be taking up the extra play. Again, as Cliff mentioned, check tightness at the clutch lever adjustment as well so its not too tight. I like to have about 3 turns out at the lever when adjusted so I can easily remove the top of the cable at the clutch perch for regular maintainance(lubing it)..

You shouldn't be unbolting anything by the lower clutch mount (by the actual, actuation arm).

Last edited:
10-4 on that. The mid-way adjuster will yield massive amounts of play length. I found that having a good bit of thread visible once the lock nut is done tight gives the right slack for a range of adjustment at the bars. Placing your two 10mm wrench heads together, ie: double the thickness of each tool, gives about right. Thats the ones in the bike tool kit.

Back