Help! My FZ is oozing!

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
So let me preface this by saying I don't know anything about working on bikes. I can change my oil and filter, but that is it.

I walked out in the garage today, and noticed my FZ had some stuff leaked under it.

P2210873.jpg

Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a black, tar-like substance of unidentified origin. It's not oil. I checked my dipstick; the oil is the color of honey, as it should be after only ~300mi since its last change.

P2210869.jpg

It almost looks like it's coming from the transmission, but I can't be certain. Besides, I don't know what's in the tranny that would leak tar-ooze.

P2210870.jpg

P2210872.jpg

P2210871.jpg

Any thoughts on what ails my bike? FWIW it's a 2007, 7200 miles, oil always changed meticulously every 2000 miles or so, and it had no issues or weirdness during a 35 mile ride 2 days ago. No indicator lights or anything weird.

Thanks!

Chain lube is my guess,it will build up on the front sprocket and housing and drip.It will also drip there if you apply too much.I don't think you have anything to worry about .

Could be a build up of gunk and chain oil under the front spocket cover dripping out.

Ya beat me to it Oz!

Yep its chain lube. You might want to clean that off real good and switch brands of lube. Having a big drop fall off a nice hot engine and chain while you are leaned over could be exciting.

I use the dupont teflon lube, it stays dry and doesnt fling at all. 25600 miles on the orginal chain, and sprockets. Just starting to get noticable wear on the sprockets, chain is fine for stretch so far, no rust, no sticky links.

Just my experince though.

Your engine oil is also your tranny fluid. +1 on chain lube, what are you using to lube the chain?
I'm just up the hill from you, did you buy your FZ from Roseville Yamaha?

Oil can look like that after it's dried.
But since it's so close to the chain/sprocket, i'd say it's either chain lube or road grime, or a combination.

At first glance I thought it was oil also. Just to be on the safe side see how tight your oil filter is, like I said, just to be safe. Also, did the O-ring or rubber gasket stay on the filter the last time you changed it? If not then like the others said, its chain lube. You would be surprised how much gunk, grime, grease, and whatever else builds up in the front sprocket cover. It gets ugly!!

I agree with veryone about it being chain lube. I take take the sprocket cover off occasionally and it's always full of gunk. Maybe worth checking the filter seal though

Try taking you front sprocket cover off, - I bet you will find a big nice greasy ball of dirt in there that will reassemble what you found on the floor.

+1 to this, rip that sprocket cover off and have a look (and a clean). I should really clean mine out actually! It always horrifies me when doing it with my other bikes though so I haven't bothered yet!

Try taking you front sprocket cover off, - I bet you will find a big nice greasy ball of dirt in there that will reassemble what you found on the floor.

do not touch it with your bare hands... you can wash them for about 45 minutes with that crap on there and still not get clean...

My vote also goes to chain lube...

do not touch it with your bare hands... you can wash them for about 45 minutes with that crap on there and still not get clean...

My vote also goes to chain lube...
wd40 is your friend :p
My chain is lubed with some kinda grease by the store, I use yamalube spray now, but the grease got flinged everywhere, my rear wheel was sticky and extremely dirty after only 300 km, wasn't able to clean it with any kind of soap, untill I sprayed it with wd40 :p rear wheel looks brand new now..

So there you have it, The first time in FZ6-Forum.com life that everyone agrees on something LOL.

Nelly

PS +1 on dripping chain lube.

I had a drip this weekend so I pulled the sprocket cover and sure enough it was chain lube accumulation. Wiped everything clean and good to go. :thumbup:

Back