Help me troubleshoot

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my FZ has had leaking fork seals for over a year. I don't ride it much so I don't want to put in any money on a bike that isn't even worth $1,000. But today, I was riding and my steering locked up. I could not press or turn the handlebars to the right. Could it be from no fork oil on one side?

What is the behavior of the bike if it's out of fork oil or If there is a severe misbalance in the oil?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your steering head bearings are VERY WORN / loose / locking up...

Low fork oil would not bind up the steering.

I'd put the bike on the CC, lift the nose with a small jack under the header and turn the forks feeling for binding/roughness...
You can get an entire tapered bearing kit for under $50...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny that sounds like exacting what Scott pointed out barring you have a cable of other object restricting movement. There is also a steering lock mechanism that maybe is stuck.
I think you should fix it and put that bike in, "Ripley's Believe it or Not" for the world record milage on the FZ6 lol!:)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't think about the steering lock but that would more likely cause the issue.

If the "locking pin" fell, came out (when it should be retained), that would certainly keep the steering from turning.

Much more likely than the bearings....

Good thought Cliff!

That pin comes out of the ignition switch: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2005/fz6-fzs6t/electrical-2 Part #29. Should be pretty obvious.

You'll likely have to remove the ignition switch and either replace the switch or yank/ cut the pin off flush (no locking function then).

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is intermittent. I tried to replicate it while bike was on and off CS. Also checked for brake lines or any cables that wound prevent the forks from turning. Steering head bearing was replaced 100,000 miles ago with tapered aftermarket. It's not loose, it doesn't rattle.

I've seen so many videos of riders failing to negotiate a corner blaming it on rider error, target fixation, etc. Now I'm not so sure, mechanical failure is a possibility. Good thing I wasn't in the freeway, just the night before I was.

I will have to play around it with more when I have time, but its scary when the steering locks up out of nowhere.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is intermittent. I tried to replicate it while bike was on and off CS. Also checked for brake lines or any cables that wound prevent the forks from turning. Steering head bearing was replaced 100,000 miles ago with tapered aftermarket. It's not loose, it doesn't rattle.

I've seen so many videos of riders failing to negotiate a corner blaming it on rider error, target fixation, etc. Now I'm not so sure, mechanical failure is a possibility. Good thing I wasn't in the freeway, just the night before I was.

I will have to play around it with more when I have time, but its scary when the steering locks up out of nowhere.
Don't ride it! Until you've found the problem for sure. Good possibility it's the ignition switch lock pin failing.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ride it! Until you've found the problem for sure. Good possibility it's the ignition switch lock pin failing.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Plus 100^^^.

With the steering turned all the way to the left stop, I'd put $ that the lock pin rattles or vibrates itself out.

That shouldn't be hard to find, keep the bike jacked up, use the key to lock the steering and I strongly suspect that pin will NOT be tight, fall out, not be connected as it should...

Agreed as well, DON'T RIDE it till the issue is found..