help me pick out the right slider

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all,
i have looked at some of the therads about sliders, but i dont know what a no cut is, or the difference is between uncaged and caged. i do understand from a thread that the non extended slider is better for laying your bike down at higher speeds. can some one tell me what the differences are, also i was looking at this set that i didnt see mentioned in any of the threads, do you think these slideres are good. eBay Motors: FS6 Frame Sliders YAMAHA FZ6 2004 - 2007 04 05 06 07 (item 180171006139 end time Nov-08-07 08:00:00 PST)

S

sportrider

they look good to me, but I don't have sliders yet. I've been watching ebay also. I see alot of sliders selling for pretty cheap. I can't comment on there quality but I do think in the event of a lowside or if the bike gets knocked over while stopped, any slider would be better then none at all.

W

wrightme43

I have the cheap aluminum extended length sliders. I tested them in 2-3 mph drop, steep downhill right turn. They worked. I know there are better ones.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Those sliders you linked look kinda cheesy. "most popular on the market today" - I doubt that. Also, FWIW, that picture they used is a photochopped picture of BinaryJay's FZ6; he does not have those sliders.

Anyway, no cut vs. cut refers to the need to cut the plastic on a fully wrapped SS bike...not any issue for the naked FZ6.

Uncaged sliders is a brand name (Uncaged Cycle Products Home Page) while caged probably refers to an actual crash cage...not sure what you're really talking about there though.

If you're just a sport riding/touring fool looking for a good compromise, I'd got with the uncagedcycle sliders or the motivation sliders.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I contemplated among a few frame sliders before I decided on the Uncaged brand. If I had a second choice, I would have chosen the Motovation brand, purely for esthetics reasons (I know, I’m vane), and I did consider the brand FS6 SLIDERS because they’re Canadian, eh. If you look at the pricing of each, you’ll notice I bought the most expensive ones (I failed Econimics101). Here was my reasoning. The Uncaged brand has no hole through the center of the puck so for two purposes, it keeps the cap screw clean of debris and provides more material for the slide thus wears down slower (in theory). The 2nd place Motovations over the FS6 Sliders would be my choice because it has more aluminum material as it tapers away from the frame. If the bike slides, the Motovations will not likely bend back as much as the FS6’s would because the FS6’s stick way out there. In a standing still drop the bike, all three would surely work. In a slide, you might have other things to worry about rather than how much you spent on your frame sliders or how well the puck material holds up.

sliders.JPG

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
well i was actually going to try to find a set of full fairings for my 07, so maybe i should get a no cut design. i see moto911 (shogun) has a set of no cut sliders but my question now is how do they know that if the bike comes naked? also anyone know of a 2 peice design (replace puck) style that is also no cut? thanks for all the replies.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a pair of Uncaged Sliders and I kind of thought they were kind of cheap. Not sure what the other sliders are made of, but I was not too impressed with the end tips. I thought the end tips would be made out of steel or rubber, but they are made out of plastic. So in the event that your slider is put to use, the plastic will mostl likely be shot. Plus, the plastic end piece on one of my sliders screwed itself off from the vibration of the bike, so now I'm missing the tip. I looked into the replacement set, and they want $35 for two. Total rip off, I'm better off spending a little more money and just trying out a different brand.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish that I had found this forum before ordering my first set of frame sliders from ebaymotors. Knowing only that I wanted some kind of protection for my almost new motorcycle and seeing many delrin plastic sliders for sale on a "Yamaha FZ6" search, I ordered the extended length (4") and declined to pay extra for a carbon fiber look. Cost with shipping was $25.
1. Figure out where the sliders go.
2. Find the torque for frame to engine bolts (40 ft.lbs.)
3. Remove the stock bolts.
4. Measure the length of bolt sticking out of the slider vs the stock bolt (you don't really want the engine falling out). The bolts supplied with the sliders(M6 80mm) were short, another 5mm would have been better. I decided to try them anyway.
5. Tighten to specifications. At about 25 ft. lbs. the delrin started to deform and by the time I had reached 35 one slider was bulging and the other at an angle.
6. Do the research. Join FZ6-forum. I looked at FS6, Motovation (they also make axel sliders) and decided on Uncaged. It took longer to remove the cheap sliders than it did to install the Uncaged sliders.
You get what you pay for.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i installed the motovation frame sliders last week , i think they look great on the bike , ,and i hope that i will never find out if they work good or not! :thumbup: