help finding a jacket for a tall fat guy

Saylin

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have been looking to buy my first jacket and having a hell of a time of it due to my size and budget. I understand that biggest thing I can do to make finding a jacket a bit easier is to shed a bit of weight but I would really like to be able to ride in the time that takes.

So what I am looking for is a 3/4 length 3 season jacket available in 3xl tall. Now here is the real trick, it has to not just be "made" in that size but actually be available. My preferred budget is under $200 but would be willing to go a tiny bit higher for the right jacket.

Now I love the look/reviews of this (Tour Master Transition 2 Jacket - RevZilla) jacket however it is not currently available in my size. Even looking for 1 size down (2xl tall) it is still not available.

I am basically shaped like a barrel, which is really proving to make things difficult, however I am determined to stick through it. I luckily found the fz6 which is a perfect fit for my size (6'4" 290) however getting my gear is really proving to be a challenge.

I don't really care about the color, be it black or hi-vis I just want to find a place that says "currently in stock". I have done my best google'ing and have come up wanting, please help a newbie find a jacket.

Mods: if this post is not in the correct section I apologize, please feel free to either move or advise me of the correct location.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into the killamanjaro jackets, they I think are a little more then what you are wanting to spend but they would fit you perfect! My dad and his good friend were in the same situation and that's what they went with, also with that jacket you shouldn't have to worry about the tall part, they run long to begin with

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
I'm 6'3 and about 240lbs, I found a scorpion on Motorcyclegear.com a while back in the close out section for like $45 marked down from $130. I would check the close outs cause you never know what turns up in the larger sizes, tall especially.

Saylin

Reaction score
Visit site
I went down to a local dealership that had a few jackets in stock, again I was let down when they had nothing in my size. I bought the Sonora off of revzilla figuring that if it does not fit I can just send it back. Will update with my thoughts of the jacket.

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at this.

FirstGear TPG Rainier Jacket - 2010 (Brown/Sand) :: MotorcycleGear.com

You may or may not like the color, but it's a great 3/4 length touring jacket. Regularly $500 on closeout for $232. They are in stock in 2xl tall and 3xl (this morning anyway). Good company to do business with and has good return policy if it doesn't fit right. I am 6'3" (230#) with fairly long arms and usually don't NEED talls if I get it toward the larger size. If a 2xl tall will fit, pretty good chance a 3xl not in tall would fit. That's just my experience with motorcycle jackets. This jacket is even in stock in 4xl, but looking at your height and weight I don't think you need larger than a 3xl. Hope this helps. Good luck.:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you can go custom with Motoport.

+1, pretty much every jacket and riding pants that they sell are customed made including how much armor you want. You have to provide your measurements, I don't think they sell stuff off the rack.

Most importantly, their stuff is made out of Kevlar. If you want the best protection, check them out. It's expensive, but I have had the Air Mesh Kevlar Pants and have been wearing them for almost four years, everyday of the year, 16 hours a day. I'm serious. My bike is my only ride and my job environment allows me to wear them so I dont even bother taking them off at times.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Most importantly, their stuff is made out of Kevlar. If you want the best protection, check them out. It's expensive, but I have had the Air Mesh Kevlar Pants and have been wearing them for almost four years, everyday of the year, 16 hours a day. I'm serious. My bike is my only ride and my job environment allows me to wear them so I dont even bother taking them off at times.

ewwww.......