HELP!!!!! Engine cutting off From 1st

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
RE: 2006 FZ6 33,500mi Recent oil change. Added 520 kit about 1500 miles ago. -1 +2 moderate freeway time and light wheelies.

So I start the bike up this morning. I let it warm up everything is fine. Lift kickstand, Shift down (from N) with clutch pulled in- Everythings still ok. Now as Im letting clutch out, the bike jumps foward and cuts off. This happened about 3 times in a row before I started checking things out. Clutch cable is good. Friction point is set close to the grip as usual. But this has been set like this forever and has never been a problem.

After moving the friction point of the clutch back out from grip and checking kickstand cables everything appeared fine. I cycled through 1st about 4 times before heading home. I was at work with limited tools. What could it be? I was worried about it being a kickstand wire malfunction.

2 Questions:
1.)What do you think caused the bike to cut off?
2.)What would happen if it is the kickstand malfunction and i was on the freeway? Would the wheels lock up or will there just be a loss of power?

Thanks Guys!
-Mike S.

Start by eliminating the easy stuff. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner and spray it into the kickstand safety switch. Place the bike on your center stand and raise/lower the kickstand until the contact cleaner has penetrated the safety switch.

My FZ6 experienced a similar, although not identical problem this Spring when I pulled my ride out of storage. A quick shot of contact cleaner was all that was needed to clean the kick stand switch.

Is this the S107 that I know? Santa, is that you? :rof:

I don't remember how the FZ6 kickstand switch works, but it may be just a defective switch (the switch thinks your kickstand is out, so it shuts the bike off when you let the clutch out).

Am I reading this right, that you can shift into first with the clutch in, and everything's fine? It only stalls when you let the clutch out? I would doubt the kickstand switch - it cuts the motor as soon as you shift into first, not when you let the clutch out.

WAVEX !!!!! it is mr santa! how you been dude?!
-yes i can drop it in to 1st but when im letting clutch out to move foward the bike jumps foward and cuts off. I think your right, the bike will cut as soon as you drop in gear. So i think we eliminated that. thanks guys, keep possible problems coming.

It sounds like adjusting the clutch fixed it, correct? Just a guess, but maybe the clutch wasn't fully disengaging before you adjusted it and it was affecting the gear change. The transmission wasn't fully in first gear and then you released the clutch it tried jumping into gear and killed it. I'm no mechanic, so it's just a guess.

lol I've been good man! I thought you and chuck/bre disappeared from the face of the earth ! :D You're still in touch with these crazy f_ers?

OK so the switch does shut it off even if the clutch is pulled in, so you can scratch that indeed... then my next guess would be that your clutch is not pulled in all the way... did you check your clutch cable? you may have to adjust it (tighten it).

i dont see how the cable could get that loose overnight. will clutch wheelies loosen it?
-havent spoken to mcbreezy in about a year. last i heard he dumped her and she moved back to canada. I will miss her infamous... "pics"

Is this the S107 that I know? Santa, is that you? :rof:

I don't remember how the FZ6 kickstand switch works, but it may be just a defective switch (the switch thinks your kickstand is out, so it shuts the bike off when you let the clutch out).

This diagnosis get my vote. If fits the logic of the safety system.

i will clutch wheelies loosen it?

Define clutch wheelies... dumping the clutch with the throttle open?

I think you have something in the drive line. Pull the cover on the countershaft and see if something is stuck in there. If it was a clutch issue, the bike should act up when you try to put it in gear. Not after.

-bryan

If your clutch was causing a problem it would be with it not disengaging. Which would cause a problem trying to get the bike into gear from neutral. If there was problem with the bike jerking and shutting off while engaging... then I am not sure how you have the ability to do highway wheelies.

i dont see how the cable could get that loose overnight. will clutch wheelies loosen it?
-havent spoken to mcbreezy in about a year. last i heard he dumped her and she moved back to canada. I will miss her infamous... "pics"

It's not an overnight thing... cable will stretch quite a bit and since I know you haven't changed or maintained yours in years, it's worth looking into :)

lol @ the pics... I had forgotten about these...

no freeway wheelies. just moderate freeway use, and light wheelies in 2nd in parking lots. clutching will be medium throttle with clutch pulled in then easing out and dumping. so clutch problem is ruled out? maybe bad clutch plate(s)?

no freeway wheelies. just moderate freeway use, and light wheelies in 2nd in parking lots. clutching will be medium throttle with clutch pulled in then easing out and dumping. so clutch problem is ruled out? maybe bad clutch plate(s)?

No, it has nothing to do with the clutch plates. If you are able to get the bike into gear, that rules out the plates.

The only way you are getting the bike into gear is by disengaging the clutch (seperating the clutch plates.) The clutch either grabs or it doesnt. If it doesnt fully make contact the clutch slips, which will not kill the motor. The clutch is not your issue.

Check your drive line. Something is hanging it up. Not sure about a switch in the clutch perch. I have an 05' and I cant recall seeing anything on it since our clutch doesnt have to be pulled in to start. But I dont have the bike in front of me, so I cant honestly say for certain.

Last edited:
Unlesss someone removed it and hotwired it, its bolted to the bottom of the clutch perch, with two wires running to the wiring harness. The switch has a piece of plastic sticking out that goes up against the clutch lever itself(moves in and out). With the safety system, if the bike thinks the kick stand is down and the clutch is released(and in gear), it'll kill the bike...

Most bikes have this safety feature built in. I disconnected and hot wired my KLR 250 (both the clutch switch and kickstand switch)as it is known to act up...

The FZ is still there as I hadn't had any problems with it...(Yet)...

Last edited:
Back