Help - Can't get my old grips off

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm probably making this a lot more difficult that it really is - or maybe I'm just a dumbass. Either way, I'm trying to install my FZ1 bar and I can't get my grips or throttle tube off my old bar. What do I do?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I used compressed air to remove grips. Shoot some air between the grip and bar and the grip will inflate slightly and can be slid off.

For the throttle side, the grip will come off with the throttle assembly.

Fred

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm probably making this a lot more difficult that it really is - or maybe I'm just a dumbass. Either way, I'm trying to install my FZ1 bar and I can't get my grips or throttle tube off my old bar. What do I do?
Are you putting a new grip on the throttle tube? If not, just leave it as is and reinstall the throttle tube on the FZ1 bars.

Luladude

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished the FZ1 mod yesterday; clutch side grip was glued/melted on and impossible to get off, even with compressed air.

I ended up cutting both off with a razor and installing Gel ProGrips.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up having it cut mine off too. It was also glued on. Did you guys have to drill on the throttle side to accommodate/align the throttle housing?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished the FZ1 mod yesterday; clutch side grip was glued/melted on and impossible to get off, even with compressed air.

I ended up cutting both off with a razor and installing Gel ProGrips.
Yep. I had to do the same. Compressed air would not work. Cut it off in the end.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
So the bar is installed, but I'm a little frustrated because the throttle assembly hole on the FZ1 bar was not in the same location as the FZ6 bar. I don't mind drilling, but now I'm left with this hole staring at me every time I ride. It's going to drive me nuts.

Should this bother me as much as it does?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would bother me, but I'm a bit fussy. I was lucky - Rizoma bars had no holes in them. Maybe you could find a rubber strip or maybe some black tape and cover it up ?

BroHay

FZ1 Mod-a-holic
Reaction score
Visit site
Not fam with ergos of the 6, but do your brake lines allow you to shift the resevoir over and not have the banjo bolt/lines interfere with the speedometer at full left lock?

venoran

Reaction score
Visit site
So the bar is installed, but I'm a little frustrated because the throttle assembly hole on the FZ1 bar was not in the same location as the FZ6 bar. I don't mind drilling, but now I'm left with this hole staring at me every time I ride. It's going to drive me nuts.

Should this bother me as much as it does?

Dude, you know this would drive me nuts. Just go down to a hardware store and buy some small plastic hole plugs like this:

2-Pack Hole Plugs at Lowes.com

If it really bugs you, you could buy some touch-up paint and paint it the same color as the bar. Or you could shop around and find some gray plugs...but black will be easier to get.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Not fam with ergos of the 6, but do your brake lines allow you to shift the resevoir over and not have the banjo bolt/lines interfere with the speedometer at full left lock?

friggin banjo bolt. The thing is snugged up right against the right fork tube. barely fits. I can turn lock-to-lock without interference though.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, you know this would drive me nuts. Just go down to a hardware store and buy some small plastic hole plugs like this:

2-Pack Hole Plugs at Lowes.com

If it really bugs you, you could buy some touch-up paint and paint it the same color as the bar. Or you could shop around and find some gray plugs...but black will be easier to get.

Good find. Thanks.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, cutting off the old grips give me an opportunity for improvement. Just ordered some Oxford Heaterz Sport grips from TT. :D

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I used liquid wrench on the grip when I removed my handlebars to paint. It came off with a fair amount of twisting but I was able to reuse it with no problem.
As for the hole in the handlebar, that would bother me too. I would fill it with
epoxy putty, then file it smooth. If you still notice it you can touch it up with
silver paint. I used Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel Aluminum 7515, at the recommendation of someone on this forum. It's a pretty close if not perfect color match.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
That hole in the bar is a speed hole. Makes you go faster. I'd leave it :)

lol. I should knock a few holes into the fairing then too. :D

For now, it's covered up by electrical tape. Picked up some steel-epoxy putty today though. Going to take FB400's suggestion and fill in the hole then paint it over.