Helmet vs. Hair

how do you keep your hair?

• I keep my hair short – but I’d keep it that way no matter what.

Votes: 129 71.7%
  • I keep my hair short – because it's more comfortable to ride with.

Votes: 29 16.1%
  • I keep my hair longer – but it’s a pain in the….

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I keep my hair longer – and it’s not a problem.

Votes: 18 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Client915

Reaction score
Visit site
So the other day someone asked me why I kept my hair so short and I explained it was because I hated having longer hair and wearing a helmet. She asked if all riders did this, and of course not all do, but it got me wonder how many do.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the shorter the better :)

Ppl tell me I look like I am in the military every time I get a haircut :D I tell them it's because I ride... then they look even more confused...

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate what the helmet does to my hair - and since I am a girl, I keep it long so that I can braid it and only have to deal with some bangs. I also keep a baseball cap in my bag so that I can cover up the evil.

On the other hand, my hubby keeps his really short and you can't tell when he has helmet head. :(

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a lot of hair,I just wear it in a pony tail :thumbup:
10238d1226808469-novembers-scavenger-hunt-100_0181.jpg

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I always had short hair but the helmet promoted me to go a little shorter (from a 3 down to a 2) - my wife complains that you can see my scalp but I still get helmet head with it that short it just cleans up much easier.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
When it's longer than 1/2" it's time to cut it again! :p Cheap haircuts for yours truly. I bought some clippers and yeeehaw! I still have both my ears too...thank goodness.

thetimanator

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always kept my hair relatively short...I kinda like what my helmet does to my hair. It makes me look like a crazy person :rockon: :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started wearing my hair shorter after I got out of the military (go figure) but went from 3 top/2sides to 2 top/1 sides when I started riding, and just recently went to 1 top/ 1/2 sides (didn't know they had #1/2 clippers!).

What's interesting is how different my two helmets work my 'do; my normal Scorpion EX1000 gives me a short, pointed mohawk up the center of the head, while my older G'Max gives me a "Flock of Seagulls" 'do (well, sorta...)

Hmmm, new thread idea... :rolleyes:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
When it's longer than 1/2" it's time to cut it again! :p Cheap haircuts for yours truly. I bought some clippers and yeeehaw! I still have both my ears too...thank goodness.

I couldn't agree with you more, paulinus! I've been cutting my own hair for about 10 years now with clippers and it's progressively gotten shorter and shorter. I'm now down to using the clippers with no guard (I started out with a 2 or 3 when I first began cutting my own hair). It just feels so GOOD in the summer, and since I always wear a baseball hat at work, I don't have to worry about burning my head.

Like bcityroller, my gf has complained, as it has gotten shorter, that you can see my scalp but I've got blond hair anyway, so it's not like it makes much of a difference.

One funny side effect of having hair so short...when I bought my Shoei X-11 over the winter and started wearing it in the spring, because of the way the top pads are made, when I take off I've got an impression of the liner in my scalp for about 30 minutes...lol. I look like one of those creatures from Star Trek...or Shane Battier (the college basketball fans among us will get that one). :thumbup:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to be a long haired freak. Then it went away. Now I'm a shaving fool. There are times I miss the long hair but I really love being bald. I've been shaving my head for the past 6 years. :)

Short answer, you missed an option for the poll. :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Used to have mega long hair....gets knotted real easy in the wind on a bike...then had short hair, and it was easy to deal with, now i am growing my hair again....and it looks tragic most of the time anyway, so i just pop on a hat when i take off the helmet!

:thumbup:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate what the helmet does to my hair - and since I am a girl, I keep it long so that I can braid it and only have to deal with some bangs. I also keep a baseball cap in my bag so that I can cover up the evil.

On the other hand, my hubby keeps his really short and you can't tell when he has helmet head. :(

^^^^ Exactly what she said^^^^

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have opted to let mine get longer, so I can do a pony tail, and not get helmet head. I think it may go shorter again in the winter when I don't ride. (yeah, I am a cold weather woos.) :rolleyes:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I always had short hair but the helmet promoted me to go a little shorter (from a 3 down to a 2) - my wife complains that you can see my scalp but I still get helmet head with it that short it just cleans up much easier.

Funny, same here(or should I say "hair"). Just went from 3 to 2 a couple of months ago. My wife also complains about it being "too short". (The hair, the hair;)). I still get the mohawk look though. I like the looks I get from people at work.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I like to keep a #1. The Missus does it some of the time and I occasionally go to a barber who will then sort out the eyebrows, give me a shave and some threading.

As I'm losing a bit through male pattern baldness I keep it short to hide the bald patch using the reasoning that the best place to hide sand is on the beach.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I voted Short, but I don't know what the definiteion of short is. For me, it is chin-length, because I am female, and for females that tends to be considered "short"

I can pony tail it, but not under my helmet, but if I go for a ride, it pretty much ends up looking flat. Not helmet-hair really, just flat. A few finger-combs and I think it is close to presentable.

I have pretty much always had shorter hair, though, as it never gets long on its own, and when it does it stops having that nice bounce to it that I like so much.