Helmet Saves Bike

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
I went riding with a buddy on Saturday. Stopped at a familiar tourist spot on the way home for some lunch. I live in South Korea, so we have lots of people coming to check out tours of the DMZ between the North and South. Locked my helmet on the side of the bike and went to eat. Tons of foreign tourists around. Come back from eating, go to take the helmet off, noticed it's wedged onto the passenger foot rest solidly. Hmm... Left side mirror ****eyed. WTF... Now see the marks of the bar end and clutch lever. Pull helmet off, see the marks on the top and the foot rest had crushed the bottom edge of the helmet. The helmet took about 85% of the blow. I figured someone tried to sit on the bike and put the side stand up, couldn't handle the weight and fell over.

With tons of people sitting there, nobody offers any information. What can I do? The tourists here don't speak English or even Korean so all they would understand from my ranting would be loud noises. If it were kids, I might understand no one coming forward, but these were adults. Too many people shirk personal responsibilities these days and basically lack respect for other people's property.

Anyways, ordered a new helmet and new handle bar. I'd rather replace the helmet than repaint my tank again or replace plastics. Helmets change every few years but I'd just bought a lot of bike stuff so shelling out another $500 hurts.

Rant over. Thanks for reading. :rockon:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i feel your pain. people don t care if its some one else's property and never think twice to jump on a bike to take pics on it. when s*it happens no one is man or woman enough to own up.

a collegue commutes to work with his bike, one day someone from tried to move it to gain better access, and broke a side panel. he never owned up! its frustrating. he wasn t going to ask for repairs but at least the guy should have owned up! (i say its a guy because the ladies at work do not have the strenght to move his hefty bike)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
People suck...........:disapprove: Someday - maybe we will truly evolve.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
The lack of caring in society really is troubling. I live in Manhattan and park my bike on the street (covered) and cant even tell you how many times I walked out in the morning to go to work and saw that someone had let their dog p1ss all over the rear tire.

In the past, I always tried to hug my bike to the curb to make room for people who are parking and limit congestion in the roadway, but after this happened dozens of times I now park my bike about a foot away from the curb. Doesnt happen nearly as often, but I still see it every now and again.

People tend to have no respect for others personal property anymore. My bike is not your dogs fcking toilet. How would you like it if I walked up to your car and p1ssed all over the tire everytime I walked by and had to go. Really infuriates me.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on how people have no respect for other peoples property anymore. It's BS and who has taught people these bad manners? It's really sad how peoples attitudes are, screw you it's all about me. :confused:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at Road America watching the superbike races last year. I bought a t-shirt and a hat and went to the bike to put them in my saddlebags. I saw a guy throw a leg over a bike, it was mine! I yelled at him tto get off and he apologized and said he also had an FZ6 and liked my scorpion exhaust. I said thats great but if you have an FZ6 why did you have to sit on mine? He again apologized and left. As he was leaving his girlfriend or wife was yelling at him I told you not to sit on that bike!

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I was at Road America watching the superbike races last year. I bought a t-shirt and a hat and went to the bike to put them in my saddlebags. I saw a guy throw a leg over a bike, it was mine! I yelled at him tto get off and he apologized and said he also had an FZ6 and liked my scorpion exhaust. I said thats great but if you have an FZ6 why did you have to sit on mine? He again apologized and left. As he was leaving his girlfriend or wife was yelling at him I told you not to sit on that bike!

That's crazy! You handled that waaaaaay better than I would have. Sitting on someone elses bike without permission is like using someone elses toothbrush for the heck of it. I have buddies/ friends that I ride with all the time and we dont just jump on each others bikes without permission...as a matter of fact I have close friends that I ride with and I've NEVER been on their bikes.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good save, I'd much rather crush a helmet than have to fix my bodywork again.

BTW, I haven't seen an FZ6 in Korea yet.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody must have had some balls of steel to sit on somebody's bike.

I would never have the courage to do so.

I always ask.

For some humor, next time just do this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR3SItax2Zc]SOA_PatchOver - YouTube[/ame]

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer I was running some errands on the bike and stopped at a pet store for a small bag of dog food. When I came back out, the guy parked next to me said some lady was checking to see if she could take anything removable off the bike(top case, etc.). "Oh really!", I said. I asked what she was wearing and which way she went...Turns out she was hiding out in the chinese food restaurant. So I waited til she came out and confronted her, of course she said no, so I had the guy parked next to me verify it...This lady had the "nerve" to start calling me names and whatnot. So I let her verbally have it...using lots of F and S words..and something about respecting property that isnt hers. Probably not the wisest thing to do but it made me feel better:thumbup: Oh, and she was wearing straight up leopard everything!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer I was running some errands on the bike and stopped at a pet store for a small bag of dog food. When I came back out, the guy parked next to me said some lady was checking to see if she could take anything removable off the bike(top case, etc.). "Oh really!", I said. I asked what she was wearing and which way she went...Turns out she was hiding out in the chinese food restaurant. So I waited til she came out and confronted her, of course she said no, so I had the guy parked next to me verify it...This lady had the "nerve" to start calling me names and whatnot. So I let her verbally have it...using lots of F and S words..and something about respecting property that isnt hers. Probably not the wisest thing to do but it made me feel better:thumbup: Oh, and she was wearing straight up leopard everything!

She was looking for the MotoJoe Visa!

That's crazy. . .

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my fz6 knocked over on 2 occasions. 1 was my own fault as i allowed my younger bro to take the bike out of the garage.

2nd was some C*** knocked it over while i was at my gf's apartment :spank: only for the R&G crash bobbins the fairing, tank,mirrors would have been damaged.
Luckily there was only light scratches on the mirrors and bar ends.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Tourist: aaaaahhhh, nice bike ! i want a bike !
tourist gfriend: sit on it, i'll take your picture !
Tourist: mannnn, nice ! i bet it's fasssssst !
tourist gfriend: careful !

drop...

tourists: you ok ?
Tourist: i'm fine. bike looks ok. i think the helmet caught it.

They mill around another 20 minutes, he waits. No paper, no pencil, no sticky notes.... He feels bad but doesn't speak the language, you're not around, so he leaves with his tour.

Just think of it as an accident, your bike is fine, and he'll have even more respect for bikes when he buys one soon.

There is always a positive.

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
While I am trying to find the positive side of this situation (getting a new helmet, I guess) it's the lack of respect that is most frustrating. The person shouldn't have touched or climbed on the bike in the first place. As an adult, this person should know this.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Tourist: aaaaahhhh, nice bike ! i want a bike !
tourist gfriend: sit on it, i'll take your picture !
Tourist: mannnn, nice ! i bet it's fasssssst !
tourist gfriend: careful !

drop...

tourists: you ok ?
Tourist: i'm fine. bike looks ok. i think the helmet caught it.

They mill around another 20 minutes, he waits. No paper, no pencil, no sticky notes.... He feels bad but doesn't speak the language, you're not around, so he leaves with his tour.

Just think of it as an accident, your bike is fine, and he'll have even more respect for bikes when he buys one soon.

There is always a positive.

Meh.. the positive would be catching them in the act.:D