Helmet on or helmet off?

Helemt on or helmet off if your unconscious?

• Take it off and see if I'm breathing

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Don't touch me, I don't want to be paralysed

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Only take it off if you know what your doing

Votes: 47 70.1%

• Total voters
S

sportrider

How do you guys in the US feel about helping someone, whilst knowing that one of his surviving family or friends will probably sue you?
in the States there is a good samaritain law protecting people who try to help.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in the States there is a good samaritain law protecting people who try to help.

Ok sorry I brought up the subject, I just remember a discussion about 7 years ago with a bunch of navy guys at NAS Jacksonville, they all said they would perform CPR if necessary on duty as they were covered by certain laws but in their own time they would not do it in a mall for example.

Maybe I didn't understand the conversation completely and there were other factors involved.

I am pleased to hear that there is a law in the US which protects the "good samaritan".

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok sorry I brought up the subject, I just remember a discussion about 7 years ago with a bunch of navy guys at NAS Jacksonville, they all said they would perform CPR if necessary on duty as they were covered by certain laws but in their own time they would not do it in a mall for example.

Maybe I didn't understand the conversation completely and there were other factors involved.

I am pleased to hear that there is a law in the US which protects the "good samaritan".
We don't have it here in the UK. I believe that its only a matter of time.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We just had the 3rd largest motorcycle gathering here in the states this past weekend, the Lauglin River Run. There was special emphasis in the media on what to do if you needed to assist a rider who was down. As others have posted, it was advised for everyone not to move the rider and keep the helmet on, unless breathing was impaired. Even though the gathering was about 90 miles away from Vegas, there were a lot of bikes here this weekend. I personally saw the aftermath of one wreck from a rider.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Poll is closed but i would prefer to leave the helmet on unless you have training to deal with neck and back injuries...

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On a somewhat related note, I always carry a fist aid kit and think everyone should.

I also have a first aid kit under my seat, thought of maybe including a few other things:
1. 16Gauge needle
2. 1Liter 0.9 Normal Saline
3. 2Amps of Atropine Sulfate, Lidocaine, Sodium Bicarb
4. AED's
5. Intubation tray + Ambu bag
6. Chest Tube set, in case of a chest trauma
7. Bible and a Rosary
Just to name a few.:D:D:D

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But on a serious note about my helmet:

I have placed a label sticker on the side of my helmet that states;
first letter of my first name followed by my full last name
EMERGENCY:
and lastly my wife's cellphone number.

If ever I'm in a spill this will hopefully make it easier for emergency personnel to contact my family. I've also thought of placing my work business card somewhere in the helmet for extra contact number. Just a thought, what do other people do??

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But on a serious note about my helmet:

I have placed a label sticker on the side of my helmet that states;
first letter of my first name followed by my full last name
EMERGENCY:
and lastly my wife's cellphone number.

If ever I'm in a spill this will hopefully make it easier for emergency personnel to contact my family. I've also thought of placing my work business card somewhere in the helmet for extra contact number. Just a thought, what do other people do??

I always carry my airport badge with me, which contains a wealth of information which includes my employer. It's just a matter of whether the authorites need to do further research. I have also registered myself under the next of kin organization national regristry through the Nevada Highway Patrol website. Hopefully, it will never come down to that. As an everyday rider, I am prepared along with my life insurance.

H

HavBlue

Don't forget about good samaritan laws.

WHOA!!!! Lets be real careful here because the Good Samaritan laws are not a failsafe for all. Good Samaritan laws are meant to protect those who come to the aid of others for no other reason than kindness. Good Samaritan laws only help if the rescuer (or would be rescuer) is acting without any expectation of reward. In other words, if you are getting paid to rescue then you aren't a Good Samaritan. Paid rescuers are expected to do their jobs correctly and can be held accountable for mistakes. In some states, good Samaritan laws only cover medically trained rescuers and professionals, while other states extend that protection to the general public. It would be a real smart move to know just how any particular state views the Good Samaritan before offering aid in a manner that may be life threatening.

As for me, leave the helmet on unless of course I am not breathing but in that case I would hope care is taken to reduce movement to a minimum as neck injuries are likely.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We all appear to be in general agreement about helmet removal. I would also like to give this advice. Having any graphics indicating your name, blood group and NOK on your helmet is of very limited value. Simply for these reasons:

1. The victim’s helmet often will not arrive with them to the ER.
2. Most people can be given O- blood in an emergency. This is usually the safest and best option. A type specific blood or a full cross match will be decided by a patient sample. Hospitals do not stock off the shelf ready to go blood for each and every individual.
3. Graphics get damaged and may only give partial info.
4. If you are unconscious the EMT will not always assume you are wearing your own lid.
5. Even info taken from a wallet is not necessarily taken as being the property of the patient. I have looked after a man who had four identities in his wallet.
6. A photo ID with your address is the safest bet.
7. If you have any allergies or are on any specific medications wear an ALERT braclet.

Helmet removal has been taught by the Royal College of surgeons since 1997. There system still represents the standard of helmet removal.
The other paper comes from the good old NHS. We have a system where PASA look at standardisation and evaluation of all equipment that is used in the NHS. The aim is to allow managers to purchase decent kit and try to standardise care. The last few pages are the most interesting as they develop the discussion.

If you can guys, get on a motorcycle first aid course or practice with your buddy. The one thing that we all agree on is. If you don't have an airway you don’t have a life. If you are unconscious your airway is at risk and the helmet may need to come off whether we like it or not.

The UK does not have a good Samaritan law and members of the public are not deemed to have a duty of care to each other. Medical personnel have a duty of care to “Act within a level to their ability and training”. To my knowledge there have not been any test cases where some one has been sued for providing care in an emergency.

Nelly

H

HavBlue

We all appear to be in general agreement about helmet removal. I would also like to give this advice. Having any graphics indicating your name, blood group and NOK on your helmet is of very limited value. Simply for these reasons:

1. The victim’s helmet often will not arrive with them to the ER.
2. Most people can be given O- blood in an emergency. This is usually the safest and best option. A type specific blood or a full cross match will be decided by a patient sample. Hospitals do not stock off the shelf ready to go blood for each and every individual.
3. Graphics get damaged and may only give partial info.
4. If you are unconscious the EMT will not always assume you are wearing your own lid.
5. Even info taken from a wallet is not necessarily taken as being the property of the patient. I have looked after a man who had four identities in his wallet.
6. A photo ID with your address is the safest bet.
7. If you have any allergies or are on any specific medications wear an ALERT braclet.

Helmet removal has been taught by the Royal College of surgeons since 1997. There system still represents the standard of helmet removal.
The other paper comes from the good old NHS. We have a system where PASA look at standardisation and evaluation of all equipment that is used in the NHS. The aim is to allow managers to purchase decent kit and try to standardise care. The last few pages are the most interesting as they develop the discussion.

If you can guys, get on a motorcycle first aid course or practice with your buddy. The one thing that we all agree on is. If you don't have an airway you don’t have a life. If you are unconscious your airway is at risk and the helmet may need to come off whether we like it or not.

The UK does not have a good Samaritan law and members of the public are not deemed to have a duty of care to each other. Medical personnel have a duty of care to “Act within a level to their ability and training”. To my knowledge there have not been any test cases where some one has been sued for providing care in an emergency.

Nelly

Adding to all this should be securing the scene of the accident because there are those times when secondary hits can become a factor. Things like placing your bike (flashers on) in a defensive position can alert other drivers that may not otherwise see that downed rider in the middle of the roadway.

Good stuff Neil..Thanks
Charlie

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I just saw this thread so here's my 02p.

I'd like someone to leave my helmet on unless I'm not breathing. Alive and paralysed would be better than dead with a helmet on.

I like the idea of a sticker with my name and a contact number. Might have to do one of those. I also have a number labeled ICE (In Case of Emergency) in my mobile with my home and wife's mobile numbers.