helmet lock

allaboutatv

Reaction score
Visit site
am i just stupid and can't find the helmet lock or is there not one on the 05's? i can't imagine a bike like this not having one but can't find one on here to save my life!

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Look on the left side of the bike, where you put the key in to lift up the seat. Is there another key slot there? If so, that's your lock. If not, guess you don't have one.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah there isn't a helmet lock on the 2005's. I use a cable lock around one of the grab rails and lock the helmet with that if I need to. It's a little ugly, but it gets the job done.

allaboutatv

Reaction score
Visit site
i was looking more along the lines of being able to lock a passenger helmet on for when i am going to my g/fs and may ride.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I went down to my local shop/dealer and the guy behind the counter has the same bike as me, an 06, and showed me how to lock my helmet.

You need to take your helmet strap and thread it like you would with it on your head, then take the tongue part and move it to the end so you have the least part of the strap next to the buckle. Take your seat off, and put the strap that is now a looped, and hook it on the lip looking thing with the hole in it, and put your seat back on and your done. You can't ride with it that way, but you have your helmet locked to your bike.

I'll take pics tomorrow, and post them what I mean.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
i was looking more along the lines of being able to lock a passenger helmet on for when i am going to my g/fs and may ride.

Probably the worst possible way of carrying an extra helmet, but if your not concerned about safety or damage to the helmet it works.
On the 08 at least the helmet lock is in a pretty bad position and is rather annoying for locking a helmet on and particularly taking one off.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a helmet lock at my local HD dealer...he was the only dlr with one in stock as all the local metric dlrs had to order one in. I needed it that day. Believe it or not..it still works! I installed it on the left side. 06 fz6 red.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Physically speaking, the extrerior of the Helmet Guardian is the same as the Yamaha lock. It will bolt on the plate provided.

HG does have 2 different style keys. One style WILL FIT THE YAMAHA after being re-keyed (the key will fit in the lock).

I acquired another HG lock, (correct tumblers) and re-keyed it myself so I carry one key. I made a bracket and placed it on the right side of the bike (same area as the standard left side-plate bolted under the rear set of pegs). I also moved the left side lock out about an inch as it seems recessed a bit much(also bolted under the left with a BMW outlet in ft of the rear set)...

As a side note, I design/manufacture brackets to fit the HG to all year FJR's ( http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=2399 ) as wel as custom brackets for many BMW's (they use a BMW lock designed fr another style BMW ( http://pirateslair.net/HelmetlockS.htm ) as most BMW's don't have helmet locks either....

Below is the left side bracket with outlet and additional HG lock assembly:

P1010096.jpg

Right side:

P1010097.jpg

Scott

Last edited:

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd suggest a good cargo net that straps on the back seat, then. Just make sure it's tight enough to keep the second helmet secure. Unlike an underseat helmet lock, that'll keep it completely out of your way and you should barely notice it's there.

If you're leaving it on the bike while you're away from it, I think a thick cable lock through the eye port is the best way to go. Plus, you can have it sitting on top of the seat so things are less likely to fall into it (though you need to have the shield open a touch to let the cable through).

allaboutatv

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably the worst possible way of carrying an extra helmet, but if your not concerned about safety or damage to the helmet it works.
On the 08 at least the helmet lock is in a pretty bad position and is rather annoying for locking a helmet on and particularly taking one off.

how is carrying a helmet like that the worst way? my roommate has an sv650 that has two places for helmets under the passenger seat. once you put them on the loops and put the seat back on, they don't move at all while riding. I don't see how that is a bad way to carry a helmet.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I went down to my local shop/dealer and the guy behind the counter has the same bike as me, an 06, and showed me how to lock my helmet.

You need to take your helmet strap and thread it like you would with it on your head, then take the tongue part and move it to the end so you have the least part of the strap next to the buckle. Take your seat off, and put the strap that is now a looped, and hook it on the lip looking thing with the hole in it, and put your seat back on and your done. You can't ride with it that way, but you have your helmet locked to your bike.

I'll take pics tomorrow, and post them what I mean.
Here are the pics I was talking about.
View attachment 22437take your strap and buckle it
View attachment 22438this is the lip with the hole
View attachment 22439
View attachment 22440
View attachment 22441
View attachment 22442