Hello from MASS Newb with FZ6

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I finished the all balls steering bearings this evening. I had to make a quick run to Home depot to get a 1.25" steel tube to help me press the races in. Very simple install. I tightened the head nuts till I had no play and a slight preload on the bearings. I would imagine after a few miles of riding I'll strip it back down and adjust the preload again.

So, the registration is in tomorrow along with being insured, My FS-16 helmet is in as well and fits rather nicely. The last thing I need before I can go for a cruise is my Motorcycle LP. I had one a few years ago but it expired. No big deal 15 questions and $30 later I should be road bound.

Next purchases are gloves and a riding jacket. I have been really digging the site newenough.com. Great prices and good return policy.

I'll get some pics up soon but its stock so there isn't much to look at yet.

Future mods are swapping the H4 HID from my Tacoma to the bike ( at least the low beam). Then I'll probably look for a +10" swingarm to look wicked pissah like all the other CBR's and R6's around my hood....j/k

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Realizing that you're heading out to get a LP, I feel obligated to recommend the MSF rider's class.

I just might take the course but I have been riding all my life. My last bike was my DRZ setup for the street. I don't want to toot my own horn but I have better throttle control and braking control than most squids I see on the road.

I had an LP many moons ago but never needed to ride with a passanger or at night. So, I never really took the actual test.

This time around I will be taking the test.
Just in the few days of owning the bike I've been tearing around my isolated neighborhood and its amazing just how comfortable the bike is. A lot more maneuverable than I had originally thought.

Safety is my #1 concern and I'm not punk kid looking for wheelies and endos. I just want the feeling I had when I owned my 390 wheel hp eagle talon.

I sold that car a long time ago and have been driving a 4 cylinder tacoma. Life sux with out seat of the pants hp. :rockon:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry no intended 'diss on your riding skills or otherwise - you may find the safety/street strategy parts of the class helpful even if you have plenty of riding experience.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I finished the all balls steering bearings this evening. I had to make a quick run to Home depot to get a 1.25" steel tube to help me press the races in. Very simple install. I tightened the head nuts till I had no play and a slight preload on the bearings. I would imagine after a few miles of riding I'll strip it back down and adjust the preload again.

So, the registration is in tomorrow along with being insured, My FS-16 helmet is in as well and fits rather nicely. The last thing I need before I can go for a cruise is my Motorcycle LP. I had one a few years ago but it expired. No big deal 15 questions and $30 later I should be road bound.

Next purchases are gloves and a riding jacket. I have been really digging the site newenough.com. Great prices and good return policy.

I'll get some pics up soon but its stock so there isn't much to look at yet.

Future mods are swapping the H4 HID from my Tacoma to the bike ( at least the low beam). Then I'll probably look for a +10" swingarm to look wicked pissah like all the other CBR's and R6's around my hood....j/k

We've bought several jackets from New Enough and we're in Australia. We've never had a problem. Great vendor :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

I've purchased many items from them with great customer service. I highly recommend it to anyone.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the FZ6 family, hope we get to ride together. I've also bought many things from newenough, just bought my wife a pair of tourmaster pants last week. After seeing a few of your comments, I need to ask..... I had a friend from Worcester who had a Talon and had bought my wifes ninja 250 years ago. I'm pretty sure he went to a Tacoma after that. Your name isn't Hang is it? Either way, temps in the 70's this weekend, so get some miles in, but if you head out east, watch the roads for potholes, the bridges and roads are falling apart from the heavy rains.

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Not the same dude man.

I did take the bike out for the maiden voyage. I filled the tank and let the bike come up to operating temps. I took it for a couple loops around the neighborhood then check all the nuts and bolts from the steering bearing install. All was well. I found some twisty back roads and had a blast. I finished out the day with a 0-??? mph run on rt 2. Fun bike and plenty of power for me. I was shifting low in the rpm range as well. I'll give it a few miles change out the oil and do a once over again before I really try to rev it up.

The track will be opening soon in Epping NH. Anyone ever run their bikes on the 1/4 mile? I think I may head up for a few passes. No crazy launches but a legal way to ring out the little revver. Let me know if anyone local has interest in that.

I'm still reading up on all the tech articles and its kind of daunting but i'll get through it.

Here is a quicky question: Tire pressures? what should I be running. Currently I have 35ish in the front and 40's in the rear. Or at least thats the way I think I remember measuring it. I've had a few wobbly pops tonight.:rockon:

Can't wait to take it to work tomorrow!

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw you've got an HJC FS-15, I've been looking at the FS-15 carbon. Do you notice much noise? I have a loud HJC, but the FS-15 is supposed to be quiter but I'd like to hear what you think.

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw you've got an HJC FS-15, I've been looking at the FS-15 carbon. Do you notice much noise? I have a loud HJC, but the FS-15 is supposed to be quiter but I'd like to hear what you think.

Sorry but I have no basis of comparison as this is my first street style helmet. I can say that I do like it as far as fit and comfort. Airflow through the helmet is on the limited side but does work.

I haven't found the need for ear plugs yet. Then again I like my music loud :rockon: