Heavy Steering Problem!

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
I need some advice on this one guys.....I've got a strange issue that only started today. The bike is a 2004 FZ6-S with around 17K kms/ 11K miles.

I got on, rode down the road and the front end felt very odd indeed. Took it round the block and I had a hell of a job to turn into corners....everytime I made a change of direction it seemed to want to drop into the turn.

So I went back to the house and checked tyre pressure and it was fine.

My next thought was steering head bearings.....pushed down on the pillion seat while moving the bars and it was as stiff as hell. Particularly when turning the wheel to the right. Basically it wasn't moving at all, and certainly wasn't dropping to either side as I would have expected.

Overtightened steering head bearings was something I thought of.....but it's only just started today. There was nothing unusual that happened when I rode it last, and I haven't made any adjustments or changes to anything.

So....what's your thoughts on this? Steering head bearings gone? Cos I'm aware that there is a history of this on the FZ, and they're most likely still using the original ones.

Any advice appreciated!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you nailed it, order some new tapered roller bearings and do a little search on the install. With some basic tools and pneumatic die-grinder with a fiber cutting disk you can install them.
As for why, likely the rust was well underway from water intrusion and a chunk of debris fell from the top to bottom binding the bearings. There are several good write ups if you search for them.

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
Just having a good look again now and I think I've found the problem.....and unlike what we thought, it's not the bearings.

I noticed that a couple of the cables appeared to be positioned differently......so it's possible that when I gave it a quick wipe over with a rag after the last run that I may have disturbed them. I just don't remember.

So I repositioned them to allow a bit more slack and the bars appeared to move freely on the stand.
Took it for a 5 minute run around the clock.....tried a few corners.....and it seems to be back to normal.

So fingers crossed....it's sorted! :thumbup:

Just one query though....fiddling about behind the fairing I noticed these two prongs just above the horn. Checked the manual and I can't see anything.....so does that look normal to you in the attached pic?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just having a good look again now and I think I've found the problem.....and unlike what we thought, it's not the bearings.

I noticed that a couple of the cables appeared to be positioned differently......so it's possible that when I gave it a quick wipe over with a rag after the last run that I may have disturbed them. I just don't remember.

So I repositioned them to allow a bit more slack and the bars appeared to move freely on the stand.
Took it for a 5 minute run around the clock.....tried a few corners.....and it seems to be back to normal.

So fingers crossed....it's sorted! :thumbup:

Just one query though....fiddling about behind the fairing I noticed these two prongs just above the horn. Checked the manual and I can't see anything.....so does that look normal to you in the attached pic?

I just checked my 07 frame I a didn't see anything close to that. I also checked my original brake line hoses/brackets/horn, etc(bagged up after being replaced with after market lines, horn, etc) and nothing there either..

I assume their NOT the electrical connectors for the original horn?

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
I just checked my 07 frame I a didn't see anything close to that. I also checked my original brake line hoses/brackets/horn, etc(bagged up after being replaced with after market lines, horn, etc) and nothing there either..

I assume their NOT the electrical connectors for the original horn?

There is a fair gap between the horn and the object in question.....but the photo doesn't show that aspect so well.

I haven't got a clue what is! :confused: