Heated Grips

AdventAvalon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking to invest in some heated grips to give my hands some love. Haha. What would you consider is the best option for the FZ6? Thanks!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the moose racing heated grips and they are great. Rode through the winter with them last year. Don't get the cheap eBay ones. I tried those and they shorted and burned my grip within two rides.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed on my FZ6 a pair of the Symtec's (~$40), which I bought a few years ago for my old bike but never installed. They have two circuits, one for high and one for low, with lower output on the low setting. The clutch and throttle side elements are different wattage to account for heat loss through the handlebar and a thicker grip on the clutch side. They've worked well so far in the 2 weeks I've had them on. I wrapped the clutch side with a few layers of kapton tape under the heater, but I still notice the throttle side is a little warmer on high.

On my DR350, I just got a set of the Cycle Gear Tracksidebrand (~$20 on sale) to put on. These have only one circuit, but the low setting goes through a resistor - I am going to replace the resistor with an electronic turn signal relay to save power (the same one in Motogiro's sticky in this forum). They have the same output elements for each side, but to account for this, I have an extra throttle tube I'm going to put on the clutch side, and use two throttle side grips.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had experience with cheap grip heaters. Don't get cheap grip heaters.

Tusk Grip Heater Kit | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

While they did work, I don't believe they were balanced for left/right - throttle was always warmer. Low was nice and warm, high was nice and hot.

However, the low setting simply was full power draw with some heat being dumped into a resistor. This, in conjunction with the fact that it was usually putting a hurting on my battery (lots of stop and go traffic on the commute = lots of low RPMs and little charging).

To make whatever pair you do go with very effective, you'll want hand guards or mitts.

Xlrrp

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a set of Oxford heated grips a month or so ago and am happy with them. I did use a relay in order to keep them from remaining on when the motor was off (even if Oxford says they will shut off automatically, I prefer knowing for sure).

The grips get really hot (even on low) so I placed a set of Grip Puppies over the heated grips and that set up seems to work very well for me. The install was pretty easy too.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed on my FZ6 a pair of the Symtec's (~$40), which I bought a few years ago for my old bike but never installed. They have two circuits, one for high and one for low, with lower output on the low setting. The clutch and throttle side elements are different wattage to account for heat loss through the handlebar and a thicker grip on the clutch side. They've worked well so far in the 2 weeks I've had them on. I wrapped the clutch side with a few layers of kapton tape under the heater, but I still notice the throttle side is a little warmer on high.

I also installed the symtec heaters and love them!

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a set of Oxford heated grips a month or so ago and am happy with them. I did use a relay in order to keep them from remaining on when the motor was off (even if Oxford says they will shut off automatically, I prefer knowing for sure).

The grips get really hot (even on low) so I placed a set of Grip Puppies over the heated grips and that set up seems to work very well for me. The install was pretty easy too.

I have the Oxford's as well - have four heat settings, work pretty well. The "automatic cutoff" does NOT work :p

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have any but pretty much everything I've read on this forum says get Oxfords with Grip Puppies. Tons of threads on this.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have any but pretty much everything I've read on this forum says get Oxfords with Grip Puppies. Tons of threads on this.

Grip puppies aren't for everyone - my bike had them on when I bought it, I tool them off. I didn't like how thick it made the grips. I've got smallish hands I suppose (medium gloves) and didn't like how it was a longer reach to the levers.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a solid review from ADVrider:

Oxford "Hot Hands" Heated Grip Wraps Review - ADVrider

Based on this review, I'd say the biggest cons are no control over power (off or HOT), and the look/temporary-ness of the install. The thicker grip could be a pro or con depending on your preference. As the review states, if you're doing a few cold rides per year, this may be an option.

The heated grips are interestingly $20 less.

Oxford Heaterz Heated Motorcycle Handlebar Grips for 7/8-inch Diameter Handlebars (Sports Style) - TwistedThrottle.com