Heated Grips Install

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
For this years winter (if it ever shows up) I got a set of Bikemaster Heated Grips. I quickly threw them onto the bike yesterday and just hooked them directly onto the battery to test them.
Now I want to integrate the grips with the bike so that they shut completely off when the bike is off. I know I can hook a relay up to the headlights that could do the job, but is there any spare fuses that an 08 FZ6 has at its disposal to hook up to instead?

Trying to do this the right way and not slap it together.
Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here you go! If your unit has it's own controls you won't use the grip switch in this circuit. You will just run the relay to power your grips. :)

There are more ways to control the relay to conserve power until the engine is started but you probably have a default grip controller that defaults to the off position once the ignition is shut off. If not and you want to insure the grips are off before the engine is started, let me know and I will give you a plan for that.

Attachments

• GripRly (1).pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The relay seems like the best idea, but should I use the headlights or the ignition? If the ignition, where is the wire I want to splice into?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On top of the battery there is a relay. The wire is red with a white tracer. It is active when the key is turned on, This can be used to activate the relay when the key is turned on.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the oxford heated grips, and their controller has an auto-off function that works really well (detects voltage fluctuations, I think). I was originally going to get fancier with the wiring, but wired straight to the battery it has been problem-free for a year now.

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
The bikemaster one doesn't have an auto off. You can turn it off the heat on the grips, but the little multi meter will still be reading and you run the risk of forgetting to turn the grips off. So for now I just am unplugging the wiring harness for it, but will be hooking it up to that relay shortly.