Headphones/Speakers for Helmets?

b.oryan

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of any good ones? I have a Scorpion Exo 1000; and I've found that with almost all helmets (excluding non full face) I get soreness in my ears BIG TIME and that causes fatigue which gets can cause bad things to happen on a motorcycle. I just want to jam on my bike and have a good time. I don't listen in town either. Just on long trips.

So anyone got the best kept secret?

Doug

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't pick up my FZ6 until next week, so this advice is not from experience on a bike.

I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6i in ear buds. They're kind of like a ear plugs that block noise with an excellent headphone in them. I look forward to trying them on long trips with my new bike. I won't try them for a while, not until I'm really accustomed to the motorcycle.

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a small mp3 RCA which holds about 300 songs. I paid $20 for it. I have some digitech stereo headphones that i wear under the helmet. I have worn it for about a year and it works great. I can still hear traffic around especially sirens if i need to but the experience in riding to some fun music is awesome:rockon:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't pick up my FZ6 until next week, so this advice is not from experience on a bike.

I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6i in ear buds. They're kind of like a ear plugs that block noise with an excellent headphone in them. I look forward to trying them on long trips with my new bike. I won't try them for a while, not until I'm really accustomed to the motorcycle.

I have some Sony in-ear buds -- I might give those a try. I want to try the noise canceling ear buds by Phillips but never get around to it; maybe someone here has?

I generally use helmet speakers and then I wear earplugs. On the FZ6, I can only hear the music at 50mph and below.

Dennis

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Challenger M custom molded ear plugs with speakers built in. Pricey but works great for 3 years now. Worn them up to eight days straight with no problems. PM me if interested, I have the mfgrs. # so you can save by buying from them.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I use skull candy in ear headphones and they feel good and sound fine. I use them with a Sansa mp3 player which works better than my ipod did because I can control volume with gloves on.

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Standard ipod bud in one ear does the trick for me...

The problem with this is you will PERMANENTLY damage your hearing.

I come from the music industry and your brain turns down the ear listening to the one earbud, so to hear it better you turn it up louder and louder. I had a friend that was only using one side on stage, and ALWAYS complaining about headaches after performances. We had a long time producer explain why. After he started using both sides, no more headaches.

Be careful, you can never regain hearing unless you want a hearing aid.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be an A**hole :spank:, but I would suggest using foam ear plugs and NO music. I used to use an iPod on rides, but between screwing around with the device and not paying attention to the road I've found that it just adds another level of risk. You might find that your head feels a lot better after a long ride also, especially with aftermarket pipes.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use skull candy in ear headphones and they feel good and sound fine. I use them with a Sansa mp3 player which works better than my ipod did because I can control volume with gloves on.

That's what I use, paired up with my iPhone.

Not to be an A**hole :spank:, but I would suggest using foam ear plugs and NO music. I used to use an iPod on rides, but between screwing around with the device and not paying attention to the road I've found that it just adds another level of risk. You might find that your head feels a lot better after a long ride also, especially with aftermarket pipes.

I never mess with mine while I ride. I set it up to play songs for a while, ride, then if it stops before I get there, I just keep going without music until I get there. I don't have quick access to it though, so that is part of the reason I don't mess with it when riding.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried to use an I-Pod and you have to turn it up too loud. I prefer not to ride with one. I wish I could, but it's not worth the damage to my hearing. Once your hearings gone it's gone.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried to use an I-Pod and you have to turn it up too loud. I prefer not to ride with one. I wish I could, but it's not worth the damage to my hearing. Once your hearings gone it's gone.

I don't know that it is specific to a single type of player. The bike itself, the wind, other traffic all make a specific volume which changes constantly. You could have any kind of headphones and then suddenly not hear it at all thanks to outside noise.

I like the ear candy head buds because the do a great job of masking outside noise...which is also not the best thing while riding.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think if you're wearing headphones, you should buy the noise cancelling ones that fit the inside of your ear with rubber. I used to have [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Eco-Ear-Canal-Headphones/dp/B000S8EUNM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251791590&sr=1-3"]these[/ame], which I wore on week-long tours with no issues. They are comfy, block the road-noise and you don't have to turn the sound up very loud at all to be able to hear it. I keep my Mp3 player around a lanyard on my neck.

I change my headphones every year (they only cost £10-£15). I now have [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-EP-830-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B00166YWIS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251791609&sr=1-5"]these[/ame], which are much more comfortable off the bike and better sound etc. On the bike, I need to fiddle a bit to get them to be comfy as they get pushed into my ears by the helmet sometimes if they're not in position perfectly at first. I've only worn them once or twice, so can't give a proper opinion yet.

Anyway, useful points here:-
  • Buy noise-canceling, in ear headphones
  • Don't cheap out and use some rubbish old ones turned up high
  • Do NOT listen to fast, aggressive music (Prodigy etc) as that is how you will ride
  • Keep your MP3 player hidden away so it doesn't distract you
  • Get the headphones comfy before riding off
  • If you have to change the track/album, stop somewhere first
  • Lanyards and small MP3 players are perfect
  • Don't have it on too loud as it will cause deafness and possible accidents

delafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
i used my phillips today. for the most part it was okay at best. the ear got a little sore and when taking off my helmet (exo-1000) it damn near ripped my ear out(ouch), so im gonna try some smaller ear buds.
you dont need to turn the music up real loud. i figure just enough to hear the music and enough to block out the scorpion pipes

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fought with headphones in my helmets forever too until I got a Oneal Element helmet with the Blinc Bluetooth system in it from Motosport.com, about $260. You just sync your iphone to the helmet and away you go! When the phone rings, the music mutes and tells you who it is so you can decide to answer it or not, tap the button on the side of the helmet to answer or just ignore it. Its not really safe to talk and ride so I just pull over and it works great! The speakers are good quality and the music sounds good, but I do wish I could get a tinted shield. The battery lasts for a real long time and it comes with a charger. Good luck!