Earplugs/Headphones with Helmets

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering if I am the only one but it is very difficult to wear headphones or earplugs while wearing a helmet. The problem I have is while putting on my helmet (Scorpion EXO-700). As soon as the helmet slips down to my ears the earplugs/headphones immediately come loose and no longer have that good seal. They just kind of sit in the ear. It's pretty annoying and doesn't provide a lot of hearing protection.

My helmet is quiet snug but I don't get any hotspots after wearing it for a couple hours. Is my helmet just too tight? Anyone else have this problem and found a solution?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a few pairs of cheap Wicked buds. Same problem. Haven't tried music since that experience. If I can have it be comfortable, easy to use, and a somewhat decent sound, I don't want it all.

Interested in a BT setup someday, but have doubts there's any non-earbud solution that can win against the wind.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never use ear buds, but I use ear plugs all the time with same helmet as yours (EXO 700).

The trick it to trim the ear plugs slightly so they don't stick way out when fully inserted. Mine never come out.
Leave them just long enough so that you can grab them to yank them back out when you're done riding. For me that translates to trimming about 1/8".. makes a big difference.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and another thing.. how do you put your helmet on? You should be pulling retention straps out as you slide the helmet down.. the padding should barely make contact with your ears as the helmet moves down onto your head.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my stereo speakers velcroed inside the ear openings of my Shoei.

The foam pad over the speakers make up any space inbetween, help keep the air/noise out and the music in...

Last edited:

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
I never use ear buds, but I use ear plugs all the time with same helmet as yours (EXO 700).

The trick it to trim the ear plugs slightly so they don't stick way out when fully inserted. Mine never come out.
Leave them just long enough so that you can grab them to yank them back out when you're done riding. For me that translates to trimming about 1/8".. makes a big difference.

Most of my earplugs are pretty short approx 3/4".

I have these and they don't stick out past my ears either:

For only $6.06 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphones | EarPhones

Oh and another thing.. how do you put your helmet on? You should be pulling retention straps out as you slide the helmet down.. the padding should barely make contact with your ears as the helmet moves down onto your head.

I just slip the helmet on without pulling the side out. I will give this a try when I get home.

Maybe there just too much cushions on the side for me.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my stereo speakers velcroed inside the ear openings of my Shoei.

The foam pad over the speakers make up any space inbetween, help keep the air/noise out and the music in...

Though about doing something like this too instead of iems, but gotta figure out how to get the earplugs to stay on first.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried listening to music once while riding. I use the earbud things that go into your ears like plugs at the gym so I tried them. No problem with them staying in while putting on my helmet, but the faster I went the more I turned the music up. After a 75 mph interstate run I stopped my bike and realized that I had my music turned wide open and now that I was stopped it was flat hurting my ears. Never tried it again.

D

Dave.TX

After sticking in the ear buds I put on one of these:

Pilot's Skull Caps | Gibson & Barnes - Premiere Flyer & Aviation Outfitters

It allows the helmet to slide on and doesn't grab the ear buds and pull on them. It also, very slightly, helps reduce wind noise. Also helps keep the helmet cleaner.

You do have to be careful with wind noise, noisy helmets and the volume of the music you're listening to. Of course some helmets are noisier than others and you will get less wind noise on a touring bike than a naked or sport bike.

I use a Bell Vortex helmet, not any more noisy than the previous Scorpion 1000 that's now my backup.

I recently rode 1200+ miles round trip from TX to AL to TX and had the earbuds in almost the entire distance. Longest day was just under 400 miles. Not a single problem of them shifting or hurting. I got the cheapie Skullcandy Ink'd ones. They don't seal as good as others I've used but are inexpensive and small.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site

It allows the helmet to slide on and doesn't grab the ear buds and pull on them. It also, very slightly, helps reduce wind noise. Also helps keep the helmet cleaner.

You do have to be careful with wind noise, noisy helmets and the volume of the music you're listening to. Of course some helmets are noisier than others and you will get less wind noise on a touring bike than a naked or sport bike.

I use a Bell Vortex helmet, not any more noisy than the previous Scorpion 1000 that's now my backup.

I recently rode 1200+ miles round trip from TX to AL to TX and had the earbuds in almost the entire distance. Longest day was just under 400 miles. Not a single problem of them shifting or hurting. I got the cheapie Skullcandy Ink'd ones. They don't seal as good as others I've used but are inexpensive and small.

I think something like this might work too. Another thing to buy....

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering if I am the only one but it is very difficult to wear headphones or earplugs while wearing a helmet. The problem I have is while putting on my helmet (Scorpion EXO-700). As soon as the helmet slips down to my ears the earplugs/headphones immediately come loose and no longer have that good seal. They just kind of sit in the ear. It's pretty annoying and doesn't provide a lot of hearing protection.

My helmet is quiet snug but I don't get any hotspots after wearing it for a couple hours. Is my helmet just too tight? Anyone else have this problem and found a solution?

i have the same helmet and i get that every so often and have to take the helmet off to put the earphones back in.. sucks, but you can try licking the outside (gross but provides a little better seal) or try some "gummie" type earphones.. they work really well at providing that closed seal and still good (loud enough) tunes!! :thumbup:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with the same helmet. I just tried lots of different types of ear plugs until I found the ones that best worked.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I use the same earbuds under an exo 1100 almost no wind sounds good enough don't hurt cant beat that for 7 dollar head phones

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I put some holes thru earplugs that I cut a bit shorter and have been using those. As long as there's a hole all the way thru the sound comes out well.

As for them falling out, the foam helps that for one, but I tuck mine thru my helmet strap. After I feed the strap thru both buckles I put the cable in between both buckles, then finish threading the strap thru. When you pull on the cable it tends to just pull on the neck strap.

JsJMPl.jpg

This was after a lot of trial and error, and also using the regular plugs that come with the headphones for a while as well.