New lid (Schuberth S2)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was cool to see Erci's thread on comparing his new Shoei with his old Scorpion. I just bought a new lid to replace my Scorpion and was considering a Shoei (the GT-Air) also (anxious to see if the extra $$$ buy you a better, quieter helmet).
I ended up getting a Schuberth S2 instead, just seemed to fit my melon better. Also, 3 of the 4 parts guys at the BMW dealership used Schuberths, and two of them previously owned the Scorpion too! (I have the EXO-1000)
Yeah, I bought a helmet at a BMW dealership! :eek: They were having a $100-off helmet sale, and I didn't see the Schuberths on the web for less than $700, so I feel I got a good deal (plus, its only right to buy from a place that lets you try things on, very important with a helmet).

I just got it yesterday, and as soon as the deck guys leave (yeah, I'm spending money right and left :rolleyes:) I'll give her a spin.
Some notes: it has an integral, flip-down sun visor, which is the reason I bought the Scorpion in '07 and an absolute must-have for me anymore. The Scorpion had a coating on the inside of the visor that kept it fog-free, this lid uses a separate, "Pin Lock" insert. Now, I don't have fogging issues here in the high desert, except in the wintertime, so I won't be testing that part out for a few months (at least, I hope not; it snowed here Wednesday :tard:).
It uses a ratcheting mechanism for the chinstrap, which is easy enough to get used to but won't work with the FZ's helmet lock! :( There are some cloth loops on the chinstraps, but I'll have to buy a separate, length-of-cable style helmet lock to secure it (unless anyone else has an idea?).

The reviews on Competition Accessories' website were all highly positive, 5-stars across the board. However, the review on webbikeworld.com panned its ventilation, there is a hole in the top of the lid to let in air, but it was covered up with a leather tab. This is actually a feature, you can tuck the tab under during the summer for more airflow, leave it over the hole in colder weather. webbikeworld didn't read the instruction manual, bad on them... :spank:

Will add more as soon as I get a ride in this afternoon! :cheer:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
It was cool to see Erci's thread on comparing his new Shoei with his old Scorpion. I just bought a new lid to replace my Scorpion and was considering a Shoei (the GT-Air) also (anxious to see if the extra $$$ buy you a better, quieter helmet).
I ended up getting a Schuberth S2 instead, just seemed to fit my melon better. Also, 3 of the 4 parts guys at the BMW dealership used Schuberths, and two of them previously owned the Scorpion too! (I have the EXO-1000)
Yeah, I bought a helmet at a BMW dealership! :eek: They were having a $100-off helmet sale, and I didn't see the Schuberths on the web for less than $700, so I feel I got a good deal (plus, its only right to buy from a place that lets you try things on, very important with a helmet).

I just got it yesterday, and as soon as the deck guys leave (yeah, I'm spending money right and left :rolleyes:) I'll give her a spin.
Some notes: it has an integral, flip-down sun visor, which is the reason I bought the Scorpion in '07 and an absolute must-have for me anymore. The Scorpion had a coating on the inside of the visor that kept it fog-free, this lid uses a separate, "Pin Lock" insert. Now, I don't have fogging issues here in the high desert, except in the wintertime, so I won't be testing that part out for a few months (at least, I hope not; it snowed here Wednesday :tard:).
It uses a ratcheting mechanism for the chinstrap, which is easy enough to get used to but won't work with the FZ's helmet lock! :( There are some cloth loops on the chinstraps, but I'll have to buy a separate, length-of-cable style helmet lock to secure it (unless anyone else has an idea?).

The reviews on Competition Accessories' website were all highly positive, 5-stars across the board. However, the review on webbikeworld.com panned its ventilation, there is a hole in the top of the lid to let in air, but it was covered up with a leather tab. This is actually a feature, you can tuck the tab under during the summer for more airflow, leave it over the hole in colder weather. webbikeworld didn't read the instruction manual, bad on them... :spank:

Will add more as soon as I get a ride in this afternoon! :cheer:

You must love your head.:cheer:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NICE! Features sounds very good. Wish I had internal flip-down visor. What sort of rating does yours have? Snell? ECE?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride Update:

Well, that was interesting! I had adopted an '09 BMW R1200 GS a few weeks ago, been riding it exclusively, but this afternoon Fizzer had a tear running down her headlight :( and her battery probably needed a charge, so I took her out instead on my Schuberth maiden voyage. First off, right out of the driveway, my legs were flailing about trying to find the footpegs, dayam they're up high! :D I finally got my legs folded tight enough and immediately realized why I can't ride her more than an hour or so, my 53-year-old, 37"-inseam legs are really folded tight.
But then I realized again just how much fun this bike is; killer acceleration, flickable like a booger™, smooth-smooth-smooth, a bit less forgiving over bumps but the way she flicks, you can avoid the bumps! I think I made up my mind this afternoon, I'm keeping both bikes! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Oh yeah, the helmet. Here's what I've noticed so far:

- Noise, compared to my EXO-1000, is down about 50%, yay! Of course, I've been used to my BMW's airflow for a few weeks now, and was on Fizzer, but still I could notice less noise, both from the wind, engine, and the buzzes and squeaks from the helmet itself (granted, my Scorpion is 6 years old).

- Clarity. Wow. I realize the visor on my old lid isn't perfect, but I've always used a wet paper towel laid on the visor to moisten/loosen dead bug guts, and then a microfiber cloth and Plexus to clean/polish. But, I couldn't even see a visor in front of me, it's like I wasn't wearing a helmet. The sun visor is obviously polarized, my Scorpion's wasn't. The sun visor didn't extend downward as much as my EXO's, got a little glare from the road surface, but didn't even notice it after a block or two. Visor has a nice First indent to crack the helmet open at low speeds, nice.

- Airflow. Double-Wow! This is where the helmet is starting to seem worth the cost. I could feel the air traveling across my head, all over, and it was extremely comfortable, will be even better as it gets hotter out.

- Pan #1: It's kind've tight in my cheeks, but the only "accessory" parts available for this helmet are (iirc) 6 different cheekpad sizes, I'll definitely be ordering a thinner set. One of the EXO's "big" features is inflatable cheekpads, for a custom fit, but I left them completely deflated and the helmet fit me perfectly.

- Pan #2: The ratcheting chinstrap is much easier to attach/disengage than the common D-ring system, but its slightly less comfortable (break-in will probably help). On the way home this afternoon I stopped into a lawn supply center (mulch, fountains, concrete "lawn croc" and naked lady statues, etc) because, with my new deck/pergola, I realized the rest of my backyard looks pretty shabby). This place was off the beaten path, and probably no teenagers around, but not being able to use my helmet lock and just leaving my new $600 lid on the bike... wasn't comfortable. :eyebrow:

So far, so good. Get some thinner cheekpads and a practical way to lock it to my bike, and I'm gonna be loving this new lid! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the helmet reviews I'd read stated that the graphics on the front and back of the lid were reflective, they were plain black on mine, but I can see on my first photo (taken with fill-flash) they are reflective. Weird, under normal lighting they look just, black.

filitosa

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding the S2 now for a month. Great helmet BUT....I can't get rid of the wind turbulence without riding with a gentle throat hold with my left hand. Have tried all types of neck wear. My S1 did not have this problem. I cant hear the SRC unit with the S2. I hear the Scala rider II fine with the S1. i am so disappointed in this $700 helmet, the S2. If anyone has a solution please post. I have sent pictures and talked with SchubertUSA they have no fix and just say sorry.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Filitosa, have you tried installing the velcro chin "patch" that comes with the helmet, uninstalled? I haven't messed with it yet but I'm not having turbulence problems...